• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Science Discover How Life Originated?

Can science ever discover how life originated?

• Total voters

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Forgive me Sandy, but you are being obtuse. You are personalizing an observation on an accepted and universal human psychological trait. My observation that fixed religious views are resistant to reason or evidence is hardly a revelation.

You seem to take this as a personal attack and an attack on Christianity. Why would my posts not apply equally to Islam, Zoroastrianism, or Hinduism?
Your responses make me suspect that you're insecure in your faith. If you were to question my fervent belief that there exists a large island in the Mediterranean called Crete where they speak Greek I would take no offense whatsoever. I would present my evidence for it and, if you rejected it, I'd just shrug it off.

You present yourself as a Christian. I thought Christian's valued faith -- which is essentially a belief in something without adequate evidence to support it. I'd expect you either to offer evidence countering my points, or to revel in your resistance/faith.

Your response to my observation that The Establishment has historically resisted innovation and new ideas is also rather bizarre. Why do you assume I'm not talking about Islam?
My statement is true. No-one with any knowledge of history could possibly deny this. Why do you feel so threatened by the obvious truth?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Seyorni said:
Forgive me Sandy, but you are being obtuse. You are personalizing an observation on an accepted and universal human psychological trait. My observation that fixed religious views are resistant to reason or evidence is hardly a revelation.

You seem to take this as a personal attack and an attack on Christianity. Why would my posts not apply equally to Islam, Zoroastrianism, or Hinduism?
Your responses make me suspect that you're insecure in your faith. If you were to question my fervent belief that there exists a large island in the Mediterranean called Crete where they speak Greek I would take no offense whatsoever. I would present my evidence for it and, if you rejected it, I'd just shrug it off.

You present yourself as a Christian. I thought Christian's valued faith -- which is essentially a belief in something without adequate evidence to support it. I'd expect you either to offer evidence countering my points, or to revel in your resistance/faith.

Your response to my observation that The Establishment has historically resisted innovation and new ideas is also rather bizarre. Why do you assume I'm not talking about Islam?
My statement is true. No-one with any knowledge of history could possibly deny this. Why do you feel so threatened by the obvious truth?

Yeah whatever.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
PolyHedral said:
I don't think so. It can backup one or more theories but can not disprove them beyond doubt.

What's "it?" -- Referent, please.
What's trying to disprove what theories?

jazza82

Will Science Discover How Life Originated?

It seems that 'god' and the 'big bang' are as far back as all parties are willing to tread.

Science can however discover how life didn't originate.

I was once a science hater, but it is fear of the many pointy objects scientists carry

St. Thomas

Aah, the origin of life. What do you mean, exactly? What constitutes life? Metabolisme? Is that all that is needed to call something `alive`?
If so, then the existing theory seems plausable. But is is and will remain a THEORY!

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
St. Thomas said:
Aah, the origin of life. What do you mean, exactly? What constitutes life? Metabolisme? Is that all that is needed to call something `alive`?
If so, then the existing theory seems plausable. But is is and will remain a THEORY!

"...is and will remain a THEORY!" -- What's that mean? All scientific facts are theories. Earth revolves around Sun -- Theory!

ProfLogic

Sunstone said:
Will science ever discover how life originated?

Is it possible to do so using scientific methods of investigation, or is there some inherent impossibility to discovering the most likely scenario for the origin of life?

Not without a time machine. There are theories out there but it can not become reality until it becomes a norm.