• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Methodism ever make the Eucharist a weekly practice?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums
The DIR forums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. Only posts that comply with the tenets or spirit of that DIR are permitted. DIR areas are not to be used as cover to bash others outside the faith. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
since 2003 the Anglicans and methodists have shared some common agreements.
The Anglicans have a number of Calvinist members but the vast majority like the Methodists follow arminian thought.

Most Methodists (like most other protestant churches) (especially in the USA) practise open communion. This is followed by Anglicans with the Proviso that partakers are baptised.

John Wesley was to follow the Anglican practise of having the Eucharist as the main Sunday service. I would expect that it will return to that important position, as the links with Anglicans strengthen. It is the only service actually ordained by Christ.

Growing up as in a Methodist Church and then near the end of my 20's I started going to an Anglican Church...

It was cool to see the over laps as well as the difference in the service.

On the Methodist to Anglican switch....

Methodism came out of the Church of England, I believe, and the Wesley brothers did not intend to break away and form a new denomination. Their intention was to build up faith and spiritual practice within the CoE, and as Kathryn is pointing out, moving away from weekly (or more frequent) Eucharist was a later development.

My understanding is that there is nothing to keep any Methodist congregation from doing weekly (or more frequent) Eucharist if that is what they want.

I was a Methodist when I lived in the States until I was 18, when I stopped attending Church when moved after high school....

I went to no church and a UU church in my early-mid 20s...

And then around 24 I moved to Canada...
Two years later I started volunteering at a Christian Drop in Centre, and inclusive project run by the local RC church, where an retired Anglican Priest volunteered as well....

After a few invites I started to attend the Anglican church in town and found it really agreeable.

It was strange being back in church but interesting for a number of reason which I won't delve into in the DIR :D

It got me inspired to read more about John Wesley and also how the Methodists and the Episcopal Churches came to be out of the Anglican/Church of England.

I'm happy to report I learned a lot about 'Christian Perfection' via JW and also that he was ALWAYS in the COE.

Historically ironic and interesting to me was that my last name IS English. An ancestor was expelled from England during the time of the last Catholic King to Barbados and then on to the 'new' word. So going 'back' to a common wealth country and then 'back' to the Anglican church struck me as very funny... but in a good way.

I LOVE the Eucharist at each service.

Something I've found I really enjoy there was the greater emphasis place on contemplation in a more formal manner, which is actually why I came to practice Buddhism and Hindu means of investigating.... funny enough again was that 'Via Media' is 'The Middle Way' a Buddhist philosophy...

Ok... so that is a little off topic.

Socially I also enjoyed the Anglican Church of Canada.

Over all it's been a good 'switch' or change of ritual that I was able to connect with after getting away from Christian circles for so many years.

It appealed to my mystic understanding/approach to Knowing and it's been an pretty open minded, inclusive place as far as expressing my connection to that Knowing.

A little of topic I'm sorry :eek:

I thought I'd take a chance to connect with some people in the thread, so you can get to know me a little as I tend to participate in various DIR as a Practitioner or an Inspired Aspirant.

I do it here because the Eucharist for me has played an important part in the mindfulness of my practice and was awesome that it blended and became one with where I am at in Knowledge of my Higher Self.....

So I do hope it's okay I shared and that I'm not outside the DIR bounds.
Grew up Methodist,
Now go to an Anglican services...

The middle time is important in understanding my story... but not the main reason I shared, so take it for what it is.

Also, the Church I go to uses some sort of Port or something that is dark and semi-sweet... perhaps a brandy of sort, since they cut it with water....

Blessings for sharing, thanks for the good reads above this post Friends,

SageTree

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Today an increasing number of CofE parishes and congregations share churches and facilities with Methodist ones. ( this is an example from Nottingham)
Anglicans & Methodists together locally

You will notice some problems are overcome, by services such as the Eucharist are given as either a "Church of England ones" or "a Methodist one" depending on the Priest or minister presiding. The congregations my partake at either. This solves the problem of the "Rules" of both Churches.

Churches together is an organisation that is growing steadily in the UK.

Rakhel

I think it depends on the pastor of the church. The Methodist church I went to as a teen didn't have a Eucharist, Ever. But after there was one held at church camp. The Methodist church I went to as an adult has started having a monthly Eucharist. I don't think they had had one prior to the new pastor, and when he offered it with the historical account and pointed out how it would bring them back to Wesleyan thought, they were all for it.

He has also brought back the "universal catholic church" back to the...uggg, what was the name of that thing, Admition of faith. "I believe in the universal catholic chruch..."

Kathryn

I think it depends on the pastor of the church. The Methodist church I went to as a teen didn't have a Eucharist, Ever. But after there was one held at church camp. The Methodist church I went to as an adult has started having a monthly Eucharist. I don't think they had had one prior to the new pastor, and when he offered it with the historical account and pointed out how it would bring them back to Wesleyan thought, they were all for it.

He has also brought back the "universal catholic church" back to the...uggg, what was the name of that thing, Admition of faith. "I believe in the universal catholic chruch..."

The Apostle's Creed.

I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ His only Son our Lord,

Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried.

He descended to the dead. On the third day He rose again from the dead, and ascended into heaven. He is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty.

From thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.

I love that creed.

Last edited:

Rakhel

The Apostle's Creed.

I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ His only Son our Lord,

Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried.

He descended to the dead. On the third day He rose again from the dead, and ascended into heaven. He is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty.

From thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.

I love that creed.
Thanks. yeah at the back of the hymnal was The Apostles Creed in three different versions. The pastor, Brother Roy(he was a former Seventh-Day Baptist preacher going to Seminary college to formally get a degree), had everyone read all three and decide which everyone liked and that was the one we would do every Sunday.
Believe it or not, we actually came to a unanimous decision. Instead of "holy catholic church," we were saying "universal catholic church"

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Thanks. yeah at the back of the hymnal was The Apostles Creed in three different versions. The pastor, Brother Roy(he was a former Seventh-Day Baptist preacher going to Seminary college to formally get a degree), had everyone read all three and decide which everyone liked and that was the one we would do every Sunday.
Believe it or not, we actually came to a unanimous decision. Instead of "holy catholic church," we were saying "universal catholic church"

That is weird
That is the same as saying the universal universal church, or catholic catholic church.... Catholic means universal.

Kathryn

That is weird
That is the same as saying the universal universal church, or catholic catholic church.... Catholic means universal.

Yeah, I thought the same thing but you beat me to it.

Someone in that church needs to educate the members about what "catholic" means.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
The 'Universal' part might have very well been to emphasize and over come the misunderstanding of C/catholic... ????

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Roman Catholic makes the distinction quite clear.....

The rest of the Christian church is simply Catholic.

Right, I know this...

But I thought we were talking about how a METHODIST congregation understood/misunderstood....

:confused:

EDIT:

Maybe I should have said,"
The 'Universal' part might have very well been to emphasize and over come the misunderstanding of C/catholic... within this particular church?????"

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Right, I know this...

But I thought we were talking about how a METHODIST congregation understood/misunderstood....

:confused:

EDIT:

Maybe I should have said,"
The 'Universal' part might have very well been to emphasize and over come the misunderstanding of C/catholic... within this particular church?????"

I would have thought any english speaking methodist would know that they were Catholic, and what it meant.....but perhaps it is different in the USA

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I was always told the 'difference' was 'C' or 'c', which for all tense and purpose... is saying the same thing as you are.

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!
I'll be honest, I almost wish they would. I enjoy the Methodist congregation I attend, but one of the things I have a hard time getting used to is Eucharist only once a month. I am used to taking the Eucharist every week due to my background, and personally believe the Eucharist to be a very powerful and mystical experience.

I guess I wonder if Methodism will ever make Eucharist every week, or do any other Methodists support the Church doing so, or has the national convention ever discussed the possibility?

A Methodist church I attended for a long time in Colorado did it every week. I really enjoyed that. O

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!
By the way, I feel I need to point out something that I THOUGHT I had made quite obvious by my first post on this thread (and during my several years as a regular member of RF).

I am a former Catholic.

Prior to converting to Catholicism, I spent much of my childhood attending the United Methodist Church with my grandmother, though I was not a member of that church. My father was a full time leader with a non denominational group called the Navigators.
Home - The Navigators

Consequently, I enjoyed a childhood with much exposure to many different forms and expressions of Christianity.

I converted to Catholicism as an adult. I learned SO MUCH during that process, and I don't regret a single year that I spent in communion with the Roman Catholic Church.

Over time, there were several doctrines that I eventually simply couldn't accept in the Roman Catholic Church - I realized that my mindset had been "Wow - they have so much right - I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on a few issues till I can understand them better."

The thing is - with the RCC - it's pretty much an all or nothing gig. So - my conscience would not allow me to act like I accepted all the doctrines, when I really didn't/

At that time, I decided to take another look at the UMC. Coming from a different perspective, with so much more understanding of sacraments and liturgy and the doctrine of the communion of saints, etc. this go-round, I re-discovered the UMC with great delight.

I will never forget my first Communion experience in the Methodist church after my departure from Catholicism. It was profound. I knew that regardless of what the long term future holds for me in my spiritual walk, I was where I needed to be.

Seven years later, I'm still here - and about six years ago, I became a member of the UMC. My great grandparents - charter members of a tiny UMC church still serviced by a traveling pastor in a deeply rural area - would be so pleased!

No church or group of Christians has it all right - at least I don't believe so. God is so big, so omnipotent and wise and just - I don't think we can truly grasp His complete Truth from our limited human perspective.

But we can try - and I believe the UMC does an admirable job of trying.

Great story, thanks for sharing. Both my dad and husband converted from Catholicism to Methodist.