• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wild Blackberries

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Me and the better half went out this afternoon berry picking, and we have come back with a great haul (3kg or so).

IMG20220827143043.jpg

This will eventually become a crumble, jam, and maybe a small cobbler.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Those look like Himalayan blackberries (the invasive ones with the nasty stickers and five leaflets,) or are they the native trailing blackberries with three leaflets whose vines are more delicate and stay close to the ground? (Those are the ones I really like.)

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Those look like Himalayan blackberries (the invasive ones with the nasty stickers and five leaflets,) or are they the native trailing blackberries with three leaflets whose vines are more delicate and stay close to the ground? (Those are the ones I really like.)

Pretty sure these are the invasive kind. 5 leafs, lots of thorns. May as well eat as many as you can if they are invasive; less seeds to go around.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
How many scratches did you get? I've only picked blackberries a few times, but I always got beaten up by the bushes. Saskatoons are less abusive.

Haha, I got pretty snagged up a few times. Had my hair get caught in some vines too ugh. Here is a small damage sample.

IMG20220827154616.jpg

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Oh man! One of the things I really miss about the northern west coast is the wild blackberries.

It's one of my favorite times of the year up here. I love being able to forage wild foods. I still have 6 pints of dandelion jelly from spring.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
We used to have them in our backyard decades ago. I used to go out with a bowl of vanilla ice cream and drop the totally ripe ones into the bowl and pig out.

Years ago our last dog and I used to eat them on a trail we walked on. She was very good at carefully pulling them off the vine without getting stabbed.

This year the drought meant there were only a few tiny ones. Sigh.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Haha, I got pretty snagged up a few times. Had my hair get caught in some vines too ugh. Here is a small damage sample.

View attachment 65869
That's nuthin. If it was me, there'd be blood and bandages. We picked saskatoons 6 weeks ago. Second best year I've ever seen, and I'm old. We got at least 8 gallons in about 3 hours. I froze them all, and put a handful on oatmeal every morning. The best I ever saw was a year when my father actually backed the half ton in to the bushes and shook the tree. He had a tarp laid out on the deck, and whoa, that was fast picking.

images

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Blackberry pie is the best pie.
The problem is accumulating enuf berries.
(They often disappear during picking & handling.)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We were out yesterday morning but alas, the drought has killed off off the blackberries.

But at least we were able to buy some myrtille (blueberries) at this morning's market.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
This thread is taking me back to my youth. On the old Grade B dairy farm my dad bought there were quite a few berries. There were a few wild strawberries, but never enough for more than a handful. Black raspberry and red raspberry canes growing wild. Not a lot but if you were persistent you might get enough to make something. Elderberries, never did too much with them. But the absolute best were choke cherries. They were also easy to pick and easy to leave be while picking. The fruit is well named since eating on would instantly dry out your mouth. But when cooked into a jelly or syrup they were phenomenal. We used to take the Ford Jubilee tractor with its front end loader. One or two of us would get in that while another drove us under the trees and then lift us up. OSHA would have had a heart attack.

Our mother would take the cherries and cook them and strain out the pits and stems with cheesecloth. A fair amount of sugar and fruit pectin and it would be jelly. Sometimes. Those cherries did not gel as easily as strawberries or raspberries, so then we would have chokecherry syrup. Fantastic on waffles or pancakes.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Yummy! This reminds me of the summers I spent with my grandma and my cousins. We'd go swimming and pick elderberries. Good times.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This thread is taking me back to my youth. On the old Grade B dairy farm my dad bought there were quite a few berries. There were a few wild strawberries, but never enough for more than a handful. Black raspberry and red raspberry canes growing wild. Not a lot but if you were persistent you might get enough to make something. Elderberries, never did too much with them. But the absolute best were choke cherries. They were also easy to pick and easy to leave be while picking. The fruit is well named since eating on would instantly dry out your mouth. But when cooked into a jelly or syrup they were phenomenal. We used to take the Ford Jubilee tractor with its front end loader. One or two of us would get in that while another drove us under the trees and then lift us up. OSHA would have had a heart attack.

Our mother would take the cherries and cook them and strain out the pits and stems with cheesecloth. A fair amount of sugar and fruit pectin and it would be jelly. Sometimes. Those cherries did not gel as easily as strawberries or raspberries, so then we would have chokecherry syrup. Fantastic on waffles or pancakes.

We never did that with chokecherries, but in these parts some folks tried to make wine out of them, with limited success. Now pin-cherries, that was another matter. They made the best jelly, but only in some years would the bushes be plentiful enough to get a lot. We also had wild strawberries, wild raspberries, 2 varieties of black current in bogs, and what we colloquially called highbush cranberry. My mother was an incredibly patient picker, while Dad would wander about looking for a better bush.

pearl

We have a wild black raspberry bush in the yard, my daughter loves them, but its a race to beat the birds. These bushes are very thorny, always comes in all scratched up.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
A group of us used to go caving on the west coast of Ireland over a number of years, and seemingly at the right time to do some blackberry picking - later turned into crumble - and very much enjoyed by all. I suppose the fact that we had such in our garden in London, along with raspberries, blackcurrant, and gooseberry bushes, gave me some appreciation for such puds, especially since my mum was a very good cook. Came across some wild strawberries in either Austria or Switzerland once - on a little walk with a friend, and where his young daughter (in papoose) seemed to enjoy them too. :babyangel: