• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wife's Conversion

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
To go along with Vigil's conversion story I had one of my own (although not quite as profound as his). My wife was born and raised Church of Christ (for those who don't know, they are the only ones going to heaven). Her grandparents said in no uncertain terms that if she married a Catholic, they would not come to the wedding. This bothered her quite a bit. I made no request of her to become Catholic. She went with me to church all the time but I in no way forced anything upon her. One Sunday at Mass, she began to get really weak and dizzy. I thought she was just getting sick. We had not yet been married but were engaged. Anyway, she had to remove herself from the church and get some fresh air. After Mass I asked if she was alright. She told me she had some kind of "experience" during the service. She then told she wanted to start taking classes to become Catholic. I of course agreed. Her grandparents did not come to the wedding but she is now Catholic and happier than I have ever seen her. Keep in mind, she told me when we started dating that there was absolutely no way she would become Catholic. Was this a slight message from God? I think so.

Random

If you think it was a message from God, what is there to discuss?

Oh, and congratulations to you and your wife. :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I don't know whether it was a message from God, rheff, and I don't feel comfortable judging the spiritual experiences of others as either "valid" or "invalid." I will say, though, that I'm happy for both of you that she made the decision she did. I think it's a huge plus in any marriage when the husband and wife share the same religious beliefs.

Francine

One Sunday at Mass, she began to get really weak and dizzy. I thought she was just getting sick.... Was this a slight message from God? I think so.

Maybe it was low blood sugar from the required fasting before Mass.

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
That's funny Francine. BTW you seem to know an awful lot about the Catholic religion. If I may ask, for someone that was in the Church so long and is obviously well versed in it's practices and beliefs, what drove you away?

Francine

That's funny Francine. BTW you seem to know an awful lot about the Catholic religion. If I may ask, for someone that was in the Church so long and is obviously well versed in it's practices and beliefs, what drove you away?

Oh, I guess it was the fact that I preferred to hang up Dixie Chicks posters in my bedroom rather than whatever male artist is currently popular with the girls.

Smoke

Done here.
Maybe it was low blood sugar from the required fasting before Mass.
If she wasn't Catholic yet, she wouldn't be receiving Communion, so why would she be fasting?

I'd tend to look at it in psychological terms -- she was just ready to become a Catholic. But I can't really blame a Catholic for thinking it was the Holy Spirit.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
Conversion here is all again a mind function.
If one is seeking god then any religion which the individual is comfortable with is good enough.
Finally one reaches the place where its all ONE or just a VOID.
Love & rgds

Francine

Always reminds me of the Borg on Stat Trek resistance is futile you will be assimilated.

"I am Sniffles of Borg: Prepare to be assimilated, what does assimilated
mean, why am i wearing all this black leather, why do I have this red laser
coming out of my eye, why do I head voices in my head, well are you ready
for assimilation, no one's told me what assimilation mean yet, I dont know
if this stuff will fit on you, you're alot bigger than i am, i dont think it
will fit on you, so are you ready for assimilation yet?"

jolakoturinn

Panem angelorum
If she wasn't Catholic yet, she wouldn't be receiving Communion, so why would she be fasting?

Some people fast anyway. As an Anglican I fasted before I was confirmed, then when I entered the Catholic Church I still fasted before every Mass.

Francine: LOL!

She was calling herself Catholic about 3 weeks ago. Some people just like variety.

Somkid

"I am Sniffles of Borg: Prepare to be assimilated, what does assimilated
mean, why am i wearing all this black leather, why do I have this red laser
coming out of my eye, why do I head voices in my head, well are you ready
for assimilation, no one's told me what assimilation mean yet, I dont know
if this stuff will fit on you, you're alot bigger than i am, i dont think it
will fit on you, so are you ready for assimilation yet?"

I will not comply I value my individuality. And I think you meant "We are sniffling, are the Borg"...

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
The objective of selecting a religion is like selecting a path / way to reach a place.
Normally we are driven by intution [ for some it might be a heart matter and some a mind matter ]
After all it is not the goal in itself.
All roads lead to Rome; that way there is no harm in taking any road but one cannot argue about one been better than the other , as all roads will lead to the same place.
One should focus on the bigger picture.
Love & rgds