• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would we want to go to heaven?

Francine

I would want to go to what I believe heaven would be, if there was one. I don't believe in it myself, but if there was such a thing, then, in my opinion, it wouldn't be like a better version of Earth. It would be completely different, a place where we wouldn't be confined by the laws of this universe.

Then I have heaven on Earth, because I do not view the laws of this universe as confining.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Then I have heaven on Earth, because I do not view the laws of this universe as confining.

I mean confining in that there are certain things that you can't do in this world, like fly without some kind of aid, but I guess it's all in your opinion. :p

Francine

I mean confining in that there are certain things that you can't do in this world, like fly without some kind of aid, but I guess it's all in your opinion. :p

There are people who have billions of dollars, and desperately want to get more billions, but they are constantly being thwarted by government regulators, environmentalist wackos, foreign competitors, the march of technology, and the whims of public taste. And there are people who have a nice suburban home, locally produced organic food, a sedan that gets 30 MPG, an interesting union job nearby, modest balances on their credit cards, a loving partner of their preferred gender, and they are totally content with what they already have or what they find possible to obtain. The latter are far richer than the former.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
There are people who have billions of dollars, and desperately want to get more billions, but they are constantly being thwarted by government regulators, environmentalist wackos, foreign competitors, the march of technology, and the whims of public taste. And there are people who have a nice suburban home, locally produced organic food, a sedan that gets 30 MPG, an interesting union job nearby, modest balances on their credit cards, a loving partner of their preferred gender, and they are totally content with what they already have or what they find possible to obtain. The latter are far richer than the former.

Very true, but just because we are happy with a situation doesn't mean that we aren't limited. Maybe we are just looking at the word "confined" differently.

rajakrsna

Whatever your conception of heaven is, would you want to exist there forever?

For example, one description for a Biblical heaven has been that we get new bodies that do not have sex organs, and that we may eat for pleasure, but do not need to. Other implications from this description were that we no longer had "needs" and we could do just about whatever we wanted. If this were the case, we would have no drive/motivation to do anything. If you look at the extremely wealthy that are able to do just about anything they want, they are bored. Children with a plethora of toys will commonly say they are bored. So, given an eternity to do everything, I can only assume that I would get bored eventually, and forever after I would lay about, not wanting to do anything.

So, does anyone really want to exist for eternity, regardless of how much fun it may seem? If yes, why?

Earth is a perverted reflection of God`s kingdom.:surf::seesaw:

eXiled

I like logic.
I wouldn't be so scared of dying, if I knew for sure there was a Heaven. For arguments sake, Heaven's got to be better than this place!

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
Whatever your conception of heaven is, would you want to exist there forever?

For example, one description for a Biblical heaven has been that we get new bodies that do not have sex organs, and that we may eat for pleasure, but do not need to. Other implications from this description were that we no longer had "needs" and we could do just about whatever we wanted. If this were the case, we would have no drive/motivation to do anything. If you look at the extremely wealthy that are able to do just about anything they want, they are bored. Children with a plethora of toys will commonly say they are bored. So, given an eternity to do everything, I can only assume that I would get bored eventually, and forever after I would lay about, not wanting to do anything.

So, does anyone really want to exist for eternity, regardless of how much fun it may seem? If yes, why?

Goodness, that kind of heaven wouldn't appeal to me either.
My concept of the next life, which isn't heaven yet, has me very busy. Lots of missionary work to do. A lot of what is done here. Records to keep and I imagine anything that creates beauty, like gardening and building. Lots of creativity. I also look forward to visiting with people who lived before me. Imagine talking with Abraham Lincoln, or Moses, or Adam and Eve.
Imagine there will be no pain, nor aging (gotta love that!), illness, etc.
I plan to spend lots of time with family (particularly my adorable husband) and friends. And continual teaching and learning! I hope I get to teach a class. Anyway, much to look forward to!

And heaven will be even better!

jtartar

Hello,
If you are priviledged to go to heaven you will never get bored. There is much to learn about God, you could keep learning forever and never scratch the surface, Ecc 8:17, 3:13.
There seems to be much work to do to carry out the admistration of the heavens. The angels keep busy and anyone going to heaven would also keep busy, Ps 103:20,21, 33:6,9. John 5:17, shows that God, even though He has stopped creating on earth, has kept busy working, as has Jesus.
Even though God could just command everything to be made, it is more likely that God creates the matter, and allows the angels to design things in the heavens.

+Xausted

Where I believe I will go when I die(will get call it heaven for this thread) there will all was be change and new thing to do, and people and thing to met. But naps will be good to.

dont believe in god or heaven...but if there is so my personnal heaven would be this. for insleep we no longer seem to our self to exist!!!!!to not exist would be heaven (no kids, bills, work, study ) : ) hell would be to be conscious lol