• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would it matter if Jesus had risen from the dead?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
There have been so many threads being posted about Jesus rising from the dead, so I think it is about time someone asked why it matters so much to people, not only Christians but also atheists. :confused:

So what is the significance of Jesus rising from the dead and why is it such a big deal to people?

I have my own ideas but I do not want to give away my position until I have heard from others. ;)

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
For some Christians the belief Jesus literally rose from the dead is this penultimate event that distinguishes Jesus from any other religious founder. A literal belief in the resurrection affirms for Bible literalism, literal interpretation of other key Christian beliefs such as the Divinity of Christ, Jesus being the Son of God and the Trinity.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
He supposedly defeated death for believers? Is that the significance!!

Afaik, atheists are cast out because they don't believe.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
For some Christians the belief Jesus literally rose from the dead is this penultimate event that distinguishes Jesus from any other religious founder. A literal belief in the resurrection affirms for the Bible literalism, literal interpretation of other key Christian beliefs such as the Divinity of Christ, Jesus being the Son of God and the Trinity.
Thanks Adrian. I know all of that, as I know why it matters to Christians...
But my question was why does it matter?

I mean why would it matter to you if Jesus had risen from the dead, what would be its significance?
If it would not matter to you you can say that too. :)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
He supposedly defeated death for believers? Is that the significance!!
That is why Christians believe it matters but if you use your logical mind and read the scriptures you would know that even if Jesus had risen from the dead, that would not mean that Christians are also going to rise....
Nobody can defeat physical death because we were created to be mortal.
Afaik, atheists are cast out because they don't believe.
Naw.... ;)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If we knew for a fact that someone had died and gotten back up again, I would definitely listen to what he had to say.
But the question is why? Why would it matter of someone rose from the dead? Why would that make you want to listen to him?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
There have been so many threads being posted about Jesus rising from the dead, so I think it is about time someone asked why it matters so much to people, not only Christians but also atheists. :confused:

So what is the significance of Jesus rising from the dead and why is it such a big deal to people?

I have my own ideas but I do not want to give away my position until I have heard from others. ;)
Er, if a person comes back to life after being literally dead for 3 days, that's kind of a big deal...

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Because it would mean that he had done something that no one else had been able to do before, so I think it might reasonably follow that he would know things that no one else knew.
Okay, that is a reasonable answer. However, any supernatural feat such as Moses parting the waters would accomplish that, if it could be proven to have occurred.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay, that is a reasonable answer. However, any supernatural feat such as Moses parting the waters would accomplish that, if it could be proven to have occurred.
You're probably right, but I think the idea of death hits closer to home. Death is something that's going to happen to all of us and everybody we care about, so the idea that death doesn't have to be fatal ( :p ) is going to appeal to people in a more personal way than something like, say, making it rain frogs (although that would be cool too).

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks Adrian. I know all of that, as I know why it matters to Christians...
But my question was why does it matter?

I mean why would it matter to you if Jesus had risen from the dead, what would be its significance?
If it would not matter to you you can say that too. :)

Its the greatest proof of the greatness of Christ. It would affirm the historical reliability of the Gospels (the original Mark omits the resurrection) that all appear to give an account of Jesus being literally raised from the dead. Paul himself claimed to have seen the risen Christ and went onto to say if Jesus wasn’t really resurrected then our faith is in vain (1 Corinthians 15). So for many Christians, if Jesus wasn’t really resurrected, they have been duped by the greatest hoax. How could God allow such a travesty and injustice?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You're probably right, but I think the idea of death hits closer to home. Death is something that's going to happen to all of us and everybody we care about, so the idea that death doesn't have to be fatal ( :p ) is going to appeal to people in a more personal way than something like, say, making it rain frogs (although that would be cool too).
That is true, notably because most people are afraid of death, so here comes the promise of living forever and some people grab at it; but the irony is that we will all live forever, just not on a physical body, and nobody in their right mind would want to live forever in a physical body if they knew what a spiritual body will be like.

The problem is that the physical body is something that is familiar to people so they can relate to it whereas one has to have a modicum of faith to believe in the spiritual body. However, one has to also have faith to believe that their physical body will rise from the dead, so why pick one belief over another?