• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Would God be Offended?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Assuming you think god or the gods take offense at somethings, why would they take offense? What would be the point of it?

BONUS QUESTION: If it matters to you whether or not deity is offended, why does it matter to you?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Assuming you think god or the gods take offense at somethings, why would they take offense? What would be the point of it?

The gods would probably be offended if you made an offering that was of no value or importance, you didn't care and/or performed a ritual with a "aw, what the hell" attitude..

BONUS QUESTION: If it matters to you whether or not deity is offended, why does it matter to you?

Because I want to have a reciprocal relationship with them, i.e. I ask for their blessings, they give them, I give them thanks, ad infinitum.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

I always asked the same question myself. I always wondered why people are so sensitive when we make fun of their gods. I don't really see any logical reason to be offended. If we assume they really believe what they claim, of course.

Ciao

- viole

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member

I like to think that if Odin or Thor are properly pissed off, I probably don't need to get offended. Which is good, because I don't know if I can.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I have no idea.
Why do people take offense at things?
I'd presume that at least some spirits would be offended by some things people do, whether or not it's intentional, just as some people get offended at things other people do.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What @Thorbjorn said.

Additionally, for the gods this applies to, they'd need to be relatively human-like, the question is essentially no different than "why do humans take offense at things, and what is the point of that?" as well as "why does it matter if you offend people?" Hopefully these questions are fairly straightforward to answer for most of us with passable social skills.

Acim

Revelation all the time
As asked in post before mine (#7), why do people take offense at things?

I believe it is because they feel / rationalize they were attacked/threatened in some fashion.

In my understanding, it is not possible to offend God (Creator). Not possible to threaten nor attack God. Possible to think one can. So possible that it could render (a) perception of an entire universe where the 'reality' is separation from Creator (nowhere to be found via perception) and separation from all things within that universe, which may all be God's Creation, yet via perception are seen only as separate bodies. Consequently, the notion of loss of 'self' and constantly being in a state of lack would be very powerful driving forces to be avoided. Seeking answers from that universe, while all evidence consistently points to this self will be lost, and it will forever be in a state of lacking. Well, until one goes within and realizes the folly of imagination/perception. Realizing that God can not be separated from Self if one looks in the most obvious place (hint closer than your nose).

RRex

Premium Member

I don't know if the Creator/gods/GAU/engineer takes offense. In some religious literature, apparently, it does if you don't worship it above all others.

I don't care. Life is hard. I'm not going to worry about what comes afterwards. I haven't got that kind of time.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
If there was a god and he did get offended then he should give up his job, and give it to another who can take a joke and laugh at himself, after all he was the one who supposedly made this whole circus.

RRex

Premium Member
I was once standing in my yard and I saw -- i'm pretty sure I saw -- an ant make a rude gesture in my direction.
Of course, I became justifiably irate, and smote the entire lawn with ant poison, in my wrath!
You made me laugh out loud. Thank you!

:D

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.

God(s) get offended because humans project their petty emotions onto their respective deities.

The real question is, what can you, as a mere mortal that means nothing in the grand scheme of things, do about it?

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
The Gods get offended when humans act with insolent hubris and malice. But I don't need to get offended on Their behalf. Nemesis and the Furies take care of that.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

It depends on the God. Certain Gods are offended by different things, and it's not uncommon for something that offends one God pleases another.

For example, Gods that might oversee things such as meditation and silent contemplation might be offended by loud noises and partying. Meanwhile, such things are the bread and butter of other Gods such as Thunor.

Whether there's a 'point' or not, is a question that I think needs to be withheld until we can determine the "point" of us getting offended, first.

Doing something that offends a particular God regularly is a good way to lose favor with them, and so it's generally a good idea to stay on their good sides if you'd plan on regularly working with them. Granted, the physical consequences (if, indeed, there are any) of not doing so are largely unclear since as a culture, we've been out of regular contact with the Old Gods for nigh unto a thousand years. Best I can figure is that gaining or losing favor with the Gods largely affects our own behavior, individually and communally, more than anything else.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian

to be in the presence of God.....
I suspect a certain character of spirit is required.

even God's Favorite had a 'falling out'

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
If you're talking about the Christian God, he's pure Love, so he just wants humans to be happy.Nothing more. He doesn't care what humans think of Him, He doesn't care if they call Him names, or if they don't believe in Him.
Atheism is not a sin either. Well, at least, according to my beliefs.