• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would anyone want the Christan God to be real?

Hawkins

It is simple, because God promised that once staying outside of His Kingdom, everything could happen. And it is the Shepherd's job to take all kinds of measure to keep His sheep survive the wilderness. And it is said that His lost sheep will finally return back to the Shepherd (i.e., being inside His kingdom).

Now make up your mind either to join to sheep camp or the wolve camp (the goat will choose so). And don't complain, it is your own choice anyway.

Last edited:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
P.S. Dawkins thesis of arguing against "God" is rather incorrect, in that he is arguing against organized religion - hence the list of offenses done in the name of religion.
He does focus on organized religion and especially the more ridiculous varieties because that's worth arguing against more than the benign forms, but Dawkins also argues against the likelihood of any sort of intelligent creator and anything supernatural as a whole. He's a skeptic of all sorts.

know to conceal the glory of god
as a means such that knowledge does not too readily fall into the hands of sinners
such that they would cause more damage to their soul than already done

things that many foolish christians do not find in the bible
1 reincarnation as suggested in several passage but they refuse to recognize....

Zec 3:1 And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.
Zec 3:2 And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?
Zec 3:3 Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and stood before the angel.
Zec 3:4 And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment.
Zec 3:5 And I said, Let them set a fair mitre upon his head. So they set a fair mitre upon his head, and clothed him with garments. And the angel of the LORD stood by.
Zec 3:6 And the angel of the LORD protested unto Joshua, saying,
Zec 3:7 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; If thou wilt walk in my ways, and if thou wilt keep my charge, then thou shalt also judge my house, and shalt also keep my courts, and I will give thee places to walk among these that stand by.
Zec 3:8 Hear now, O Joshua the high priest, thou, and thy fellows that sit before thee: for they are men wondered at: for, behold, I will bring forth my servant the BRANCH.

THE BRANCH HERE AS OLD TESTAMENT SYMBOL FOR THE MESSIAH...

2 that the greek in the new testament does not say that the wicked suffer eternally
in hell but for eon time which is not the same as eternity.....

consider too that for god a day can be as a thousand years
and a thousand years as a day

so someone asked god and is then a penny as a million dollars god said..yes

when can i have it..the someone asked

in a minute...
god said and
doing the math
that would be about
well you do the math how many years will that be :)

Thesavorofpan

Is not going to save you.
Most people are in hell, being tormented through unimaginable suffering.

You, however, are among the lucky few. But what is in store for you?

Not being able to trust a being who enjoys mercilessly tormenting others, you would live life in fear. The God of the bible is real. The same God who,

1) Flooded the world
2) Condoned genocide
3) The same God who had a son, only to have him crucified
4) Who tested Abraham's faith by telling him to kill his own son
5) Who allowed demons to prowl the world
6) Who allows natural disasters
7) Terrible health problems, like cancer and heart attacks
8) Condones slavery
9) Death sentences carried out by means of stoning
10) Holocaust
11) Has fits of rage
12) Job's suffering
13) Constantly demands worship and adoration

"Jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." - Richard Dawkins

I just don't see how anyone would want to live under such a God. You would be afraid that at any time he might snap, and start tossing more people into hell. Its a terrible prospect.

Why would any reasonable person want to be in an afterlife with the God of the bible? Shouldn't believers be worried about this? I mean, just read the book. That gives you a good idea of what God is like. No reasonable person would want to live under such a God. To hope for a life in heaven would be to hope for a life of fear and forced worship, and probably future punishment - or worse, eternal torment.

Well...if this God is real then I definitly won't want to be on his bad side.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
What a simplified, medieval concept of the Judeo-Christian God! This, I feel, is why people misunderstand Christianity.

What about what Dawkins said isn't true?

Homophobic? Yep

Leviticus 20:13 If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them.

Ethnic cleansing? Yep

Numbers 31:14 Moses was angry with the officers of the army--the commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds--who returned from the battle. 15 "Have you allowed all the women to live?" he asked them.

16 "They were the ones who followed Balaam's advice and were the means of turning the Israelites away from the LORD in what happened at Peor, so that a plague struck the LORD's people. 17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him keep alive for yourselves. :eek:

Infancide? Yep

Psalm 137:9 Happy is the one who takes your babies and smashes them against the rocks!

Jealous and proud? Yep

Dueteronomy 6:15 for the LORD your God, who is among you, is a jealous God and his anger will burn against you, and he will destroy you from the face of the land.

And what I find perhaps the most detestable verse in all the Bible:

Numbers 31:31 So Moses and Eleazar the priest did as the LORD commanded Moses. 32 The plunder remaining from the spoils that the soldiers took was 675,000 sheep, 33 72,000 cattle, 34 61,000 donkeys 35 and 32,000 women who had never slept with a man. :eek:

36 The half share of those who fought in the battle was: 337,500 sheep, 37 of which the tribute for the LORD was 675; 38 36,000 cattle, of which the tribute for the LORD was 72; 39 30,500 donkeys, of which the tribute for the LORD was 61; 40 16,000 people, of which the tribute for the LORD was 32. :eek:

So from what I can gather from the above, the Israelites came by stealth upon the Canaanites and looted and plundered all the stuff and women, and then the Lord got 32 women, whatever that's supposed to entail.

The point is, the Bible shows what Dawkins said is right, and if you read it literally, the Bible god is the most horrible character one can imagine.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Firstly, it is a medieval interpretation because it takes the Old Testament literally. Obviously the world was not created in a several days, you have to understand the context and the time period that the scriptures were written by the patriarchs.

An educated, well-learned Christian, who does not just reference the Bible but who also reads about the history of the time and the philosophies of the time, can understand that the Bible - though the inspiration of God - is not the word of God - God did not dictate the bible, as for example to Muhammad in the Qoran - but the people who wrote scripture were inspired by the divine to write it, therefore they wrote it in the contexts, concepts, and anecdotes familiar and completely in sync with the framework of spirituality at the that time.

Of course our concepts of scripture and the supernatural have roots in ancient times, but scripture, and the construct and concept of religion evolves, changes to the times. The concept of God is interpretative, depending on the denomination, and interpretation.

Without a thorough knowledge of the Bible, and if one takes a juvenile literalist approach, then we are left with someone who has a lack not only of the compassionate, transcendent, and beautiful concept of man and the supernatural, but someone who is ignorant of an ancient literary style.

P.S. Dawkins thesis of arguing against "God" is rather incorrect, in that he is arguing against organized religion - hence the list of offenses done in the name of religion.
It is most interesting how you completely ignored everything on the list and instead presented an example that is not even mentioned in the OP.

So, are you going to actually address anything on the list in the OP?

The Abrahamic God is an exceptionally cruel character. Can you imagine what it would be like to condemn someone to eternal suffering? How could you live with yourself?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Well, the God of the Fundamentalists might be everything Dawkins says He is, but I'll tell you this: He's also a damn good drinking buddy.

You can tell him anything -- even tell him about the time you stuck a feather-duster up your butt and danced around naked crowing like a rooster to amuse your wife on your wedding night -- and God will never tell anyone -- anyone -- what you told him. He's that good of a drinking buddy. That good!

And all you guys can do is whine about how he sentences people to hell. Well, listen to me! If you were God and had to listen to some drunk go on and on and on about the time he stuck a feather-duster up his butt, then danced around naked crowing like a rooster -- just as if that was the high point of his life -- wouldn't you send the sorry idiot to hell, too? Well, wouldn't you?

chinu

chinu
Why would anyone want the Christan God to be real?
How can anyone see the such concept as unreal which he/she is trusting from such a long time, As real as explored to them by false tutors.:facepalm:

Moreover "Mind" or "Ego" is inside everybody, Even in "CHINU" too..:)

_/\_
Chinu

Frank Merton

I'm fairly certain that you want to glorify yourself It's our sinful human nature to do that.
If it is sinful for us to want glory, why isn't it sinful for God to demand it?

More seriously, but not quite serious yet, I would say the need for glory varies from person to person. Criminal types seem to need it a lot (hence all the talk about respect), so do the immature. As we age we get a certain amount of it so that we realize it doesn't nourish.

I've been told by Christians and Muslims that God created it all, "for his glory." No comment.

cmh0114

Well, the God of the Fundamentalists might be everything Dawkins says He is, but I'll tell you this: He's also a damn good drinking buddy.

You can tell him anything -- even tell him about the time you stuck a feather-duster up your butt and danced around naked crowing like a rooster to amuse your wife on your wedding night -- and God will never tell anyone -- anyone -- what you told him. He's that good of a drinking buddy. That good!

And all you guys can do is whine about how he sentences people to hell. Well, listen to me! If you were God and had to listen to some drunk go on and on and on about the time he stuck a feather-duster up his butt, then danced around naked crowing like a rooster -- just as if that was the high point of his life -- wouldn't you send the sorry idiot to hell, too? Well, wouldn't you?

Supposedly, we are all children of God, and I would never sentence my son/daughter to eternal damnation because s/he got drunk and danced around with a feather-duster up his/her rear. And I don't think God should, either.

As for not telling anyone, well, Santa has never told anyone the secrets I gave him, either. Just sayin'...

A

angellous_evangellous

The Abrahamic God is an exceptionally cruel character. Can you imagine what it would be like to condemn someone to eternal suffering? How could you live with yourself?

I for one am impressed with the original and intellectually penetrating criticisms that you have levelled against your "Abrahamic God."

(Ever hear of a strawman? We can light this one up together sometime.)

A

angellous_evangellous

Yeah, like the concept of the bible God.

(Your thoughtless construction of the bible God)

Pandering your "bible God" - a poorly constructed villan that no Christian believes in - and then making fun of it is precisely what a strawman argument is.

It's not even a very good one. You've made no attempt at all to associate your bible God with any relevant Christian theology. It's not a Christian God - it's your lame version of a "bible God" that has no contact with biblical interpretation, theology, or anything else that one can responsibly call "Christian."

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Numbers 31:14 Moses was angry with the officers of the army--the commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds--who returned from the battle. 15 "Have you allowed all the women to live?" he asked them.

16 "They were the ones who followed Balaam's advice and were the means of turning the Israelites away from the LORD in what happened at Peor, so that a plague struck the LORD's people. 17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him keep alive for yourselves. :eek: