• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Would Anyone Choose to be Willfully Ignorant?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Assuming people actually choose to be willfully ignorant, why, then, would anyone choose to be willfully ignorant?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Assuming people actually choose to be willfully ignorant, why, then, would anyone choose to be willfully ignorant?
To protect their beliefs.
To not have to deal with contradictions (both real and not real) to their beliefs.
because they cannot handle and/or do not wish to deal with or face the truth.
the list goes on....

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
To protect their beliefs.
To not have to deal with contradictions (both real and not real) to their beliefs.
because they cannot handle and/or do not wish to deal with or face the truth.
the list goes on....
That's not ignorance, it's a cop-out.

d3vaLL

Same reasons that Morpheus had in the first Matrix. Great scene in that restaurant, is knowledge really useful to producing happiness. You may think it is easy to let go for the sake of truth alone, but the consequences are just as real as the truth.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I think some people would rather remain ignorant about some things simply because they are unwilling to put forth the effort to educate themselves. Lack of initiative.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Yeah, I have to go with the effort thing as well. And sometimes it is hard to fault them. People that work long hours, raise their families usually spend the few hours or minutes of free time to just relax. I can't fault them for that.

What does bug me is what people like my dad (I love him to death, don't get me wrong) do. He knows I am a political junkie and I talk politics with him and he knows my political beliefs. I don't really argue policy with him, I just try to tell him that politics matters because what the government does effects us in really important ways (he has never voted). So even if you hate politics you should be informed about what is going on. His usual response is that he doesn't know what news source to trust so he kind of throws up his hands and gives up. That frustrates me the most because he is basically choosing to be ignorant.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
"Why Would Anyone Choose to be Willfully Ignorant"?

To keep from having to change and/or grow;

Growth is painful and change is scary.

I think we're all guilty of willful ignorance to one extent or another; it's sort of like kicking back on a pile of horse manure; if you can ignore the flies and get past the smell it's actually pretty comfortable.

Then it rains and you find yourself covered in....

Last edited:

Laila

I really like what Quagmire wrote. If I may add that one may choose to be ignorant to make a stand against stepping out of the comfort zone.

ignorance is bliss,

if i start telling you how much germs are on you and in you, and how much diseases you can get then you would never close your eyes again

trinity2359

Same reasons that Morpheus had in the first Matrix. Great scene in that restaurant, is knowledge really useful to producing happiness. You may think it is easy to let go for the sake of truth alone, but the consequences are just as real as the truth.

As they say "Ignorance is bliss"

and it can be. Totally OT but when my 5 week old son had a 103 fever he went to the local Childrens Hospital ER. He was admitted while they determine if he viral vs. baterial menigentis. I was like 'OK' NOBODY told me that baterial could be FATAL. In many ways I am glad otherwise I would have been worried sick! Luckily he only had viral and I only discovered the danger when i looked it up on WebMD when we got home 2 days later :). BTW he turned 3 yesterday in perfect health!

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I would think someone would choose to be "willfully ignorant" is because that is the choice they made..
Could be "denial' ..could be "defense"...Could be to "deal with the hand dealt them"

Most likely its a "protective measrue" ..Similar to "burrying your head in the sand" Survival..

Love

Dallas