• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why would anybody want to be catholic?

kutulu

i'm curious how any1 can want to be a catholic after half the church has been exposed as pedophiles? does it not make you think that maybe your devil guy has not infiltrated and warped your religion? it seams pretty obvious that the preists are not so god fearing... or are they just going to be baptised and apologize to god and then its all ok? lemme know whats goin on here...:cover:

Last edited by a moderator:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
i'm curious how any1 can want to be a catholic after half the church has been exposed as pedophiles? does it not make you think that maybe your devil guy has not infiltrated and warped your religion? it seams pretty obvious that the preists are not so god fearing... or are they just going to be baptised and apologize to god and then its all ok? lemme know whats goin on here...:cover:
Half the church? Maybe you want to actually do some research before you make such a bold statement.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
From my experience Catholicism is nearly always inherited from the previous generation and taught to be considered as part of one's familial stability.

From the point of view of most Catholics, it is just not good form to question it very much.

On the bright side, it is usually practiced in a fairly loose form, often enough without as much as sympathy for the Pope or even much of a belief in God.

St Giordano Bruno

In as much as me being a lapsed Catholic and long rejected the faith long before all those paedophile scandals blew up, I think maybe a few people find any religion with a long history appealing rather than one that was made up yesterday.

Tathagata

Freethinker
does it not make you think that maybe your devil guy has not infiltrated and warped your religion? it seams pretty obvious that the preists are not so god fearing

Why do you assume that child-abuse is prohibited by God? On the contrary, God promotes child abuse:

"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones." (Psalms 137:9, KJV)

"they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up." (Hosea 13:16)

Last edited:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Why do you assume that child-abuse is prohibited by God? On the contrary, God promotes child abuse:

"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones." (Psalms 137:9, KJV)

"they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up." (Hosea 13:16)

Only if you take the verses out of context. Literary and historic contexts.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
I wouldn't go to the extent to judge Catholicism based on what people do. For my own reasons I wouldn't be catholic just like I wouldn't be Muslim, or Jewish or Hindu. All religious institutions no matter how spiritually fulfilling, there is always a variance of how one message is understood.

Sum1sGruj

It is often asked why mostly religious people are the ones to undergo demonic possession or why some end up shaming their faith- well this is it:

The 'Adversary' gained this namesake for a reason. He is not going to waste much time with people who are already not followers of God and/or live in sin. He's going to tempt and torment those who are of the Kingdom and try to get them away from God.

I'm sure any Christian has heard this concept before. When you give unto Christ, you have gained the attention of the Adversary.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Your view is a bit skewed there Kutulu. I actually work for a Catholic institution interacting daily with many wonderful priests and nuns there. While there are obvious and serious issues going on involving a number of the clergy, its just not that extreme to where you can point out in confidence that half the clergy are pedophiles. The figure in question is closer to 4% of clergy involved last I checked. Roughly 4,392 priests accused out of an overall figure of 109,694 at the time the allegations broke.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Thousands and thousands of Protestants (not to mention people from other religions) go through RCIA classes every year and willingly and joyfully convert to Catholicism. In fact, my oldest daughter and her family are attending RCIA to feel out that option. I support her journey fully.

Tathagata

Freethinker
Only if you take the verses out of context. Literary and historic contexts.

Prove that the full context changes the meaning of the verses I just listed. If you can't, then you must concede. Simply claiming "out of context" isn't an argument and does nothing to support your assertion. What do those verses actually mean if you claim they mean something different?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

I never can help but notice that those who hate being generalized the most love to generalize others. :p

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
You still have to question the integrity of anyone would still consider an institution that's constantly caught raping countless children and trying to cover it up as a moral authority.

stickngojuggalo

i think kutulu waz not using the word "half" in a literal sense here people...

and as a lapsed catholic beleive me when i say.. i dont want to be represented by a church that is run by peepee touchers...

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It is often asked why mostly religious people are the ones to undergo demonic possession or why some end up shaming their faith- well this is it:

The 'Adversary' gained this namesake for a reason. He is not going to waste much time with people who are already not followers of God and/or live in sin. He's going to tempt and torment those who are of the Kingdom and try to get them away from God.

I'm sure any Christian has heard this concept before. When you give unto Christ, you have gained the attention of the Adversary.

Well isn't that convenient. :rolleyes:

Sum1sGruj

The judgement, perhaps. But usually not the integrity.

Well, that's kind of the point. They don't have the integrity that a church official should have, and so the Adversary takes advantage of it.

As for Father Heathen saying 'isn't that convenient':
For the Adversary, it's more than you know..
In fact, you rubbing that statement off is the Adversary working at your integrity. The sly being he is, your good intentions are likely to pave the road for misfortune. By marring the church, there is hostility and differences. It goes much further than the children alone.
See, God's eye travels far.
But I'll fallback before this goes into another subject lol.

Last edited: