• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why worship the biblical god?

Introvert

The Judeo-Christian god, as described in the bible, is one of the most evil creatures I have ever read about. He comes off as a tyrannical dictator. He punishes all of humanity for the sins of Adam and Eve. He created hell, and sends billions of people there, simply for believing the wrong book. He commits countless atrocities and acts of genocide in the bible. He causes so much unnecessary suffering. He blames his creation for being the way he created them. And above all this, he demands to be loved and worshipped by the very beings that he created.

Why would anyone with an ounce of integrity worship such an evil creature?

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Because, as evil as he is, and I agree he is evil, he promises people he won't hold their feet to the next fire he has waiting them in the after life IF they do as he says. So people try to do as he says. :shrug:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Because, as evil as he is, and I agree he is evil, he promises people he won't hold their feet to the next fire he has waiting them in the after life IF they do as he says. So people try to do as he says. :shrug:
God is a Mafia don.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
The Judeo-Christian god, as described in the bible, is one of the most evil creatures I have ever read about. He comes off as a tyrannical dictator. He punishes all of humanity for the sins of Adam and Eve. He created hell, and sends billions of people there, simply for believing the wrong book. He commits countless atrocities and acts of genocide in the bible. He causes so much unnecessary suffering. He blames his creation for being the way he created them. And above all this, he demands to be loved and worshipped by the very beings that he created.

There are several claims here that are certainly not part of the Hebrew Bible, or if they are they are minor, negligible and open for interpretation. For example the Hebrew Bible hardly mentions an afterlife. You might mean that the New Testament joint with Christian dogma does. Likewise Original Sin is for the most part a strong point of Christian dogma.
So it's somewhat of a caricature to fish concepts from the New Testament and Christian dogma and glue them on the 'Bible' or a 'Judeo-Christian' God.
As for other passages from the Hebrew Bible (the so called 'Old Testament'), for example war, if you look at all cultures of the world (at least the interesting ones), you will find they have gods of wars and chief gods who engage in warfare or in human affairs. While I do not necessarily adhere to the Bible or the Biblical God, I find that the Biblical version is more advanced in many ways.
The Scandinavians had their Thor and Odin. The Greeks had their Ares, Athena, and Zeus. And the Hebrews had YHVH and the Bible, which I find to be packed with much more moralistic and humanistic aspects than the Olympian or Norse versions (as much as I love them both).
Sure if you filter the entire Bible, and leave out the prose, wisdom and love poetry, Prophetic writing, the Psalms, Ecclesiastes, The Song of Songs, the Proverbs, and hundreds of other pages and only focus on paragraphs which discuss strife and war you might have a point. However the Bible has many inspirational, aesthetic, moralistic, poetic and literary qualities that have inspired hundreds of years of Western art, literature, and philosophy.
So while people may not need to worship the God of the Bible in this day and age, they should at least have some basic grasp of the text and get off their high horse.

To summarize. I do pity you if all the people around you worship a Biblical God who represent all the things you described above, such as the sinful nature of man, or the fire of hell. It's not the first rant of this kind made on the forum or the internet. To my assessment, these rants usually come from people who have been surrounded by fundamentalist Christian dogma and have been scarred by it. Many other people have another experience, have not been drilled with the prospect of ending up in hell, and have a healthy education of the Bible, Biblical inspired English literature, Biblical inspired Renaissance art, or Biblical inspired chapters in European history.
Obviously we see different things in the Bible, and people like myself are much less interested in supernatural beliefs about the text, with or without a dictator god.

If ever people want to seriously discuss scriptures, they need to release themselves from their indoctrination first. Discuss the Bible without the relevance if God exists or not, and without taking at face value miracle making. These are all theatrical aspects of a much more multi layered text.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The Judeo-Christian god, as described in the bible...
Can I stop you right there? There's no such thing as "the Judeo-Christian god." There's Judaism, and there's Christianity. Their images of god can differ so grossly as to be opposite ends of a spectrum.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
[...]
I worship God because I don't believe for a second that He is evil.
Sounds good to me.
icon14.gif

Introvert

Sure if you filter the entire Bible, and leave out the prose, wisdom and love poetry, Prophetic writing, the Psalms, Ecclesiastes, The Song of Songs, the Proverbs, and hundreds of other pages and only focus on paragraphs which discuss strife and war you might have a point.

I never said the bible was without merit or without good. I just believe that the god from the old and new testaments is an evil creature. My criticism is not of the bible but of the god described in it.

Can I stop you right there? There's no such thing as "the Judeo-Christian god." There's Judaism, and there's Christianity.

Christians accept both the old and new testament to be true, so I'm not wrong in saying Judeo-Christian.

Last edited:

Kemble

Caladan, the happy drapings by believers aside ultimately when you've got an infinite Being toying with his creation to feed his ego and having the choice of sin and eternal damnation centimeters away, you would frankly have to be a dolt not to realize the God-concept isn't just a thug. When you can justify how a father can leave a loaded gun on his son or daughter's desk and call it free will, let us know and we can get back to disussing the good morality of "God" in the monotheistic traditions.

And specifically on Christianity, here is former Preacher Dan Barker discussing it in a nutshell:

The "Good News" of Christianity - Dan Barker - YouTube

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Caladan, the happy/joyful drapings aside ultimately when you've got an infinite Being toying with his creation to feed his ego and having the choice of sin and eternal damnation centimeters away, you would frankly have to be a dolt not to realize the God-concept isn't just a thug. When you can justify how a father can leave a loaded gun on his sons desk and call it free will, let us know and we can get back to disussing the good morality of "God" in the monotheistic traditions.
Most if not all religions and scriptures have problematic elements in them. Personally, I believe the Bible is a very impressive achievement of human ideological and literary abilities. As for the other parts, you seem to misunderstand. Nowhere have I promoted even belief in God, let alone the God of the Bible.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I never said the bible was without merit or without good. I just believe that the god from the old and new testaments is an evil creature. My criticism is not of the bible but of the god described in it.
As you are a new member, let me give you a heads up.
This is not a Christian forum. Although Christian members form one of our largest forum segments, most of the members are not Christians. Therefore posting rants about why people choose to worship the God of the Bible are distractions from serious discussions at best.

Kemble

Most if not all religions and scriptures have problematic elements in them. Personally, I believe the Bible is a very impressive achievement of human ideological and literary abilities. As for the other parts, you seem to misunderstand. Nowhere have I promoted even belief in God, let alone the God of the Bible.

Right, I agree in that context but the OP was about the biblical God-concept, not a commentary on the Bible's literary status.

Kemble

As you are a new member, let me give you a heads up.
This is not a Christian forum. Although Christian members form one of our largest forum segments, most of the members are not Christians. Therefore posting rants about why people choose to worship the God of the Bible are distractions from serious discussions at best.

Not really. A large number of folks are Abrahamic in one way or another so the discussion isn't necessarily a "distraction" just because maybe you and I can be considered light years past the theism stage. In other words questioning the morality of the Abrahamic God is a valid theological disussion.

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
He punishes all of humanity for the sins of Adam and Eve.
I'm stopping you right there. What punishment in particular are you talking about? Are you talking about the false and unscriptural doctrine of Original Sin taught by Augustine?

He created hell, and sends billions of people there, simply for believing the wrong book.
You will not find any such statement in the Bible. Hell is not a place. Hell is a negative reaction to God's Presence and love. God doesn't "send" anyone to Hell, because 1: No one is in Hell until after the Final Judgement, and 2: Hell is not a place of punishment, but a state of rejecting God, yet suffering because we cannot escape from Him Who is everywhere present and filling all things.

He commits countless atrocities and acts of genocide in the bible. He causes so much unnecessary suffering.
The genocide thing is the best argument for God being evil. But even those people who were killed were given the chance of redemption and eternal life when Christ descended into Hades(AKA Sheol). Both the righteous and the unrighteous went to Hades(Sheol) after their death, and both accepted Christ when He came. So it's more of a hardcore timeout.

He blames his creation for being the way he created them.
He did not create a sinful humanity. We ourselves became sinful when we took our eyes off the truth, becoming selfish, desiring empty and vain things that are doomed to disappoint us and leave us unfulfilled in the end.

And above all this, he demands to be loved and worshipped by the very beings that he created.
He only asks us to return His love for us.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Not really. A large number of folks are Abrahamic in one way or another so the discussion isn't necessarily a "distraction" just because maybe you and I can be considered light years past the theism stage. In other words questioning the morality of the Abrahamic God is a valid theological disussion.

This is not the reality of the debate forums, first off, and your hubris here is a little surprising, frankly.