• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why women shouldn't be ordained in any Christian church. (Christian)

Jonathan Bailey

No, I assert that you can’t abuse modern science to bolster an ancient metaphor.
Your abuse of Genesis to support your idea that women are unsuitable for ministry is indicative of the misogyny that has typically accompanied a male-dominated profession.

I'm just trying to assert as to the saying of Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen. The man provides the seed (gamete in this usage in analogy to the Word of God) therefore women cannot be ordained in any Christian church. This is not to infer that women have an inferior place in creation. Without women, no human babies would be born and suckled and I would not exist to even type this message.

The seed is the Word. The Word comes from the man.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I'm just trying to assert as to the saying of Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen. The man provides the seed (gamete in this usage in analogy to the Word of God) therefore women cannot be ordained in any Christian church. This is not to infer that women have an inferior place in creation. Without women, no human babies would be born and suckled and I would not exist to even type this message.

The seed is the Word. The Word comes from the man.
As I already said: science tells us otherwise. The seed is provided by BOTH parents. Therefore the analogy is useless and can’t be used truthfully in the real world.

Jonathan Bailey

As I already said: science tells us otherwise. The seed is provided by BOTH parents. Therefore the analogy is useless and can’t be used truthfully in the real world.

What SEED is provided by both parents? The seed meaning the children?

Only the man provides the seed, meaning the sperm, but the scientists don't normally use seed.

sojourner

What SEED is provided by both parents? The seed meaning the children?

Only the man provides the seed, meaning the sperm, but the scientists don't normally use seed.
Nope. This is the same kind of head in the sand nonsense that denies climate change. The man provides the sperm (“seed”). The woman provides the egg (also a “seed”). Both “seeds” are necessary to produce a baby. Scientists don’t use “seed” because it’s a poor analogy. Neither egg nor sperm is a “seed.” The seed represents a gross misunderstanding of how reproduction actually works. The Bible uses the term, because the ancients believed that the sperm contained seed, and that the egg contributed nothing but a container for that seed. We now know that both contain necessary chromosomes.

Jonathan Bailey

Nope. This is the same kind of head in the sand nonsense that denies climate change. The man provides the sperm (“seed”). The woman provides the egg (also a “seed”). Both “seeds” are necessary to produce a baby. Scientists don’t use “seed” because it’s a poor analogy. Neither egg nor sperm is a “seed.” The seed represents a gross misunderstanding of how reproduction actually works. The Bible uses the term, because the ancients believed that the sperm contained seed, and that the egg contributed nothing but a container for that seed. We now know that both contain necessary chromosomes.

Still the sperm penetrates the ovum, as plant seeds penetrate the soil, not the other way round.
God is a male person and only his Word comes from Him is the Christian and Jewish belief.

Still I Corinthians and I Timothy clearly argue against women ministers.

sojourner

Still the sperm penetrates the ovum, as plant seeds penetrate the soil, not the other way round.
God is a male person and only his Word comes from Him is the Christian and Jewish belief.

Still I Corinthians and I Timothy clearly argue against women ministers.
Doesn’t make any difference. The egg isn’t “soil.” It’s half the stuff necessary to produce a baby. The ancients didn’t believe this. Their analogy is flawed, therefore, the theology is flawed. Even modern Jews have female rabbis.

God is both, according to the Bible, and is sometimes pictured as female, so your statement about God’s gender is baseless.

The Bible also clearly dictates against eating shellfish, and argues for killing people, and mandates that a female victim marry the rapist. The Bible is neither infallible nor absolute — and it never pretends to be either.