• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why were the Gospels written down?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I don't doubt the gospels have some truth in them, but the mythical parts are hard for any person in this day and time to accept.

A

angellous_evangellous

Better question. Who decide which book went in the Bible and which didn't? A roman King of all people. There were many other Gospel of time that were not included and who know why? To protect the church!

Um, no.

The books of the NT were in use for about 300 years before Constantine. They didn't just fall out of the sky. The reason why they were canonized is because they were in use... the other Gospels simply had fallen out of use at the time.

Rainbow Mage

Um, no.

The books of the NT were in use for about 300 years before Constantine. They didn't just fall out of the sky. The reason why they were canonized is because they were in use... the other Gospels simply had fallen out of use at the time.

They may have existed before then, but there was no official canon before then. There were varying codexes containing books such as the Gospel of Thomas, the Apocalypse of Peter, the Shepherd of Hermas, etc.

A

angellous_evangellous

They may have existed before then, but there was no official canon before then. There were varying codexes containing books such as the Gospel of Thomas, the Apocalypse of Peter, the Shepherd of Hermas, etc.

Well, the Apocalypse of Peter and the Gospel of Thomas does not appear in ANY New Testament Codex.

The Epistle of Barnabas and parts of the Shepherd of Hermas appears in Codex Sinaicus and probably should have been in the NT. But niether one of these are Gnostic nor heretical. Codex Sinaiticus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rainbow Mage

Well, the Apocalypse of Peter and the Gospel of Thomas does not appear in ANY New Testament Codex.

The Epistle of Barnabas and parts of the Shepherd of Hermas appears in Codex Sinaicus and probably should have been in the NT. But niether one of these are Gnostic nor heretical. Codex Sinaiticus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am speaking of such codexes like Origen's codex, Clement of Alexandria's codex, Ambrose's codex, etc. Any codexes, in general.

A

angellous_evangellous

I am speaking of such codexes like Origen's codex, Clement of Alexandria's codex, Ambrose's codex, etc. Any codexes, in general.

You have no idea what you're talking about.:eek:

These writings don't appear in those codexes, either. I would suggest that you read the wikipedia articles on these writings before you go any further.

JustWondering2

Just the facts Ma'am
Um, no.

Yes i am aware of that fact, I never said they feel from the sky. There were other gospels in use but were not included in the Canon. My point is Costaintine was a Roman King trying to orginize an impire and his was the final word on the canon, from what I have been able to gather on the subject. I am by no means an expert on the subject but I wonder why a Roman King would be the authority to decide what goes in and what stays out?

A

angellous_evangellous

Yes i am aware of that fact, I never said they feel from the sky. There were other gospels in use but were not included in the Canon. My point is Costaintine was a Roman King trying to orginize an impire and his was the final word on the canon, from what I have been able to gather on the subject. I am by no means an expert on the subject but I wonder why a Roman King would be the authority to decide what goes in and what stays out?

The simple fact is - he didn't.

Development of the New Testament canon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A

angellous_evangellous

Speaking for myself, my experiences buying a used car took me from being a "faith person" to a "profanity person". :D

Not me.

I bought a 1994 Ford Ranger in 1997 with 70k miles on it.

I've kept it up. Now 200k miles and still trucking.

dogsgod

But who would look to buy a history text from the NT gospels section of your local book store besides Oberon?

A

angellous_evangellous

But who would look to buy a history text from the NT gospels section of your local book store besides Oberon?

A rough guess is 35,000 biblical scholars. Half of them are atheist. And thousands of libraries.

A colleague of mine - an atheist - is publishing a history of the NT that will provide him $10k a year for the rest of his life. Not much, but that's just one book, and he has a lot more in him.