1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Why Was Jesus Necessary?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Skwim, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +917
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe I have been a Christian for 47 years and a nominal Christian before that and I am now 76 years old so I suppose I have lived long enough to have my faith grow even stronger with increased knowledge and experience.

I believe there are few people as rational as me. Of course that is the way God made me.

2. Bob the Unbeliever

Bob the Unbeliever Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,598
    Religion:
    unbeliever
    Okay. However-- this statement is false: "Science predicts an asteroid big enough would burn up the oxygen in the atmosphere"

That is an impossible thing. Cannot happen. Oxygen does not "burn up"-- it is what *enables* the burning of *other* materials.

3. Bob the Unbeliever

Ratings:
    +3,598
    Religion:
    unbeliever
    Well, if you lived to 150 or 200 or 250 and continued to get an education? (and by education, I absolutely discount wallowing in theism-- that's feeding the dragon/delusion, not increasing your education)

As I said, most folk don't live long enough, nor continue their education.

4. 1robin

1robin Christian/Baptist

Ratings:
    +358
    Religion:
    Christian
    Sorry everyone @Polymath257, @shunyadragon, @IndigoChild5559, @viole, @Faithofchristian, @Audie, @Muffled, @Hockeycowboy, @Skwim, @Miracle, and @Riders, etc... due to person circumstances beyond my control I won't be able to continue debating. Its been fun, God Bless.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,060
    Religion:
    Agnostic
  6. shunyadragon

shunyadragon Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,838
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    The sacrifice of every Manifestation of God is to be born, live, suffer, and die a human life to bring the Revelation form God to humanity. The death is the release to the nearness to God.

7. Desert Snake

Desert Snake Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,620
    Jesus is the Sun of God.

Jesus came to the House of Israel, and said, Behold! The Covenant of Faith, is here, again! No longer, will they persecute, the Israelites, that did no servive to the idols! No longer, will the law, which is an added curse, burden our souls, and curse the godly!

8. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,620
    That was probably necessary

9. IndigoChild5559

IndigoChild5559 Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Ratings:
    +750
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Last time I checked, he was, according to Christians, truly God and truly man (I disagree, but whatever). *IF* Christians do in fact believe he is truly man, then they really need to explain away the problem of human sacrifice. It doesn't go away by saying he is God as well.

10. IndigoChild5559

Ratings:
    +750
    Religion:
    Judaism
    How can you read Psalm 19 and say the Law is a curse?

8 The law of the Lord is perfect, restoring the soul; the testimony of the Lord is faithful, making the simple one wise.
    9 The orders of the Lord are upright, causing the heart to rejoice; the commandment of the Lord is clear, enlightening the eyes.
    10 The fear of the Lord is pure, existing forever; the judgments of the Lord are true, altogether just.
    11 They are to be desired more than gold, yea more than much fine gold, and are sweeter than honey and drippings of honeycombs.

11. Hockeycowboy

Hockeycowboy Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,914
    Religion:
    Christian
  12. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,620
    The sacrifice isn't literal, for everyone. JESUS is a GOD, and the sacrifice is for those who worship Him, as a GOD.

JESUS's human form is mystical, and people percieved Him as fully human, even though He was doing things, that no human can do.
    JESUS was always a God, hence the worship as He was in Israel. JESUS went elsewhere, in His God form, and this is why He left Israel, after the ascencion.

The baptism by Jesus is completely different from the baptism, for redemption, and this is noted many times in the NT.

There is no baptism parallel in the churches, and they simply inquire, or in the name of, to symbolize the actual baptism, by Jesus, which may or may not occur, at time of church baptism.

As a God, JESUS is beyond historical apologetics and speculation, and that is where the churches and such encounter most of their contradictions, so forth.

The cross is a symbol used for the followers of JESUS, and is not actually representive of the crucifixion, because previous to the crucifixion, JESUS said take up your cross, to His followers. This was a symbol, not a metaphor of crucifixion. That is why the 'empty cross', is the most traditional cross for JESUS followers.

What I wrote, there, is a non'literal Sacrifice perspective.

#312 Desert Snake, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  13. IndigoChild5559

Ratings:
    +750
    Religion:
    Judaism
    I'm so sorry. I completely misunderstood. I know that you are a follower of Jesus. But I jumped to the conclusion that you were a Christian. I'm still not sure what you are. But at least I am corrected in this regard. Again, my apologies.

14. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,620
    Delineation, really,
    Not a problem, just noting variation there

15. Bob the Unbeliever

Ratings:
    +3,598
    Religion:
    unbeliever
    So. Jesus was created on the 4th day, then?

16. Faithofchristian

Faithofchristian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +516
    Religion:
    Christian
    Wrong, Jesus was never created. Jesus has no beginning or end.

Mary was only a means in which Jesus could come here in the body of flesh and blood.
    The same with you and everyone else.
    Your mother was the means by which you could be born here in this world of flesh and blood.
    So before this, you were a spirit being, and came to born in this world of flesh and blood.
    So at your death, your body of flesh and blood will return back to the earth and your spirit will return back to God who gave it.

17. Paula Eilene

Paula Eilene Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Religion:
    noahide
    The Gd of the Bible says to repent and He will forgive, He looks on human sacrifice as an abomination, the promised Biblical Moshiach dies for no one, he takes away no one's sins, he will be a man Gd usescas an instrument of His Will, just as He used Moses.

18. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,060
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    And for all those who don't know about the Repent-Get-Out-Of-Hell-Free card, they're kind of up the creek.

Really.
    Genesis 22:2
    Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about."

19. Miracle

Miracle Christian

Ratings:
    +14
    Religion:
    I don't believe in it.
    I am confused as to what the problem is.....

20. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,060
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    No problem

Paula Eilene said: "[God] looks on human sacrifice as an abomination."
    In effect, I said, no he doesn't, by citing Genesis 22:2