• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why This Growing Trend?

nPeace

Veteran Member
To be sure we don't spend more time on whether or not this is a growing trend, I thought it might be useful to go with the data we have been provided with, in case our ideas become the foundation for our seeing this trend as not.

Analysis of the trends and geographical distribution of suicides revealed that
nearly 25% of the total counties experienced at least a 10% increase in suicides from 2010 to 2019, with about 12% of total counties
exhibiting an increase of at least 50%.

statistics.jpg

Since the methods of analysis has not significantly changed for the better, evidently, better analysis is not the reason for seeing this trend, but rather, it is indeed, a growing trend.

With that out of the way, perhaps we can better focus on the causes and contributors of the trend... Hopefully.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I'm always amused at the "It must be the social media!" as though that's not the light being shined on the fact that a lot of the world - particularly the US - is a dumpster fire. Can't possibly be the latter, no no. It's that damn Ticky Tok with all the dances and whatnot.

Yes, the world has a lot of huge and urgent problems.

That said, I'm always amused when people defend social media without understanding the neuroscience of addiction and dopamine and serotonin, and how social media feeds those mechanisms.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Probably because the US is too religious. I would suggest they move to happier places, like secular Scandinavia.

Ciao

- viole
I thought that was both very funny, and creative.
Being the kind of guy that loves learning, I did what I usually do... research.
Sweden Suicide Rate 2000-2023

Scandinavia seems to do this SeeSaw style.
What do you suppose is the cause, or causes, if not religion?

nPeace

Veteran Member
@Nimos, you might like this one.

The Big Picture of Social Media Use
Even within the so-called “social media age” of the last decade, social media use has increased year-over-year. Data shows that global daily use of social media sites has increased from 90 minutes per day in 2012 to 135 — over two hours per day — in 2017.

The Rise of Mental Illness
social-media-mh-2.png

The BBC has reported that the American suicide rate has risen by 25 percent between 1999 and 2016. A study in the European Journal of Counseling Psychology found that in the U.S., diagnoses of treatable mental diseases like depression were on the rise. A study published by Psychiatric Services explored the reasons why more and more Americans reported struggling from serious psychological distress (SPD), a non-diagnosis that provides a broader picture of mental health.

The question is raised. Is Social Media Having a Negative Impact on Our Psyche?

Viker

Häxan
Probably because the US is too religious. I would suggest they move to happier places, like secular Scandinavia.

Ciao

- viole
I ripped this from Google.

"While most countries in the world have no official religion, Sweden is in fact the only Nordic country without a state church, as Norway, Denmark, Iceland and Finland have all retained theirs.Jun 16, 2022"

Only Sweden is secular.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
The problem is that social media exposes us to things going on in the world that we wouldn't have any clue about without it, and that don't affect our daily lives. A recent earthquake in Turkey killed tens of thousands of people - would you have known about that event if not for the internet?
Actually yes; I found out about that through my jobs disaster response putting forward a policy should any of our customers who were traveling abroad and may be affected by that disaster either in Turkey or the surrounding area.

Twenty years ago, that same story may have been covered by any of the major national news outlets or even the local channels. I was quite young at the time, but I imagine much the same rabble raising about how the news was too negative or depressing or whatnot because it was broadening the scope of what we're aware of. Only these days it's less outrage because 12 year old Samantha found out about a natural disaster and more Uncle Rogers blatant racism and sexism was put on blast for everyone to see.

That's the change from prior generations. We're coping not just with the tragedies of our local village or city, but the entire world. And media very intentionally gives the most air time to stories that are the most disturbing, heinous, and sensational.
And, like many other things, what enters in is how you deal with that. Can you change the earthquake in Turkey? No, but that's a good thing to be aware of should it affect the global market and prices of food in general, like the war in Ukraine has done. As well it's really good to be aware of what's going on in the nation at large with politician after politician introducing literal fascism at a State level, and watching that spread like wildfire. We all have a responsibility to safeguard against numerous threats, and it is rapidly reaching a point where ignorance is not a luxury that can be afforded; it is absolutely irresponsible to bury one's head in the sand so that you don't see what's going on outside your insular neighborhood community.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually yes; I found out about that through my jobs disaster response putting forward a policy should any of our customers who were traveling abroad and may be affected by that disaster either in Turkey or the surrounding area.

I'm guessing they found out about it through the interwebs, unless they're an international company directly affected in Turkey. Point being, I hope we agree, we're more aware of tragedy and disaster and outrage because of social media than generations past.

Twenty years ago, that same story may have been covered by any of the major national news outlets or even the local channels. I was quite young at the time, but I imagine much the same rabble raising about how the news was too negative or depressing or whatnot because it was broadening the scope of what we're aware of. Only these days it's less outrage because 12 year old Samantha found out about a natural disaster and more Uncle Rogers blatant racism and sexism was put on blast for everyone to see.

It's a question of degree. Yes, in times past we may have heard about major crises or disasters happening internationally here and there if it was bad enough. These days, that news comes to us daily through an object we all carry around in our pocket. We hear about every natural disaster, every shooting, every political uprising, every military conflict.

And, like many other things, what enters in is how you deal with that. Can you change the earthquake in Turkey? No, but that's a good thing to be aware of should it affect the global market and prices of food in general, like the war in Ukraine has done. As well it's really good to be aware of what's going on in the nation at large with politician after politician introducing literal fascism at a State level, and watching that spread like wildfire. We all have a responsibility to safeguard against numerous threats, and it is rapidly reaching a point where ignorance is not a luxury that can be afforded; it is absolutely irresponsible to bury one's head in the sand so that you don't see what's going on outside your insular neighborhood community.

I think it's overly simplistic to argue that we're irresponsible to not get every update that every social media and news outlet wants to send us about every injustice in the world. There's a question of how much negativity the human mind can cope with. If daily news consumption is making you want to kill yourself, it's not irresponsible to cut it out, or at least cut it back. In fact I'd argue it's irresponsible to continue media consumption at the same rate.

It's common these days, and feels very noble, for us to believe we have a personal stake in every injustice in the world and must do something about it, even if that something is just shouting to the choir of likeminded followers we've accrued on social media. But there's a balance there where we ought to both a) take care of our own minds and ensure we are not harming ourselves and b) be realistic about what power we actually have to change things halfway around the world. The more likely scenario is that we have much more power in our local community to affect positive change.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm always amused at the "It must be the social media!" as though that's not the light being shined on the fact that a lot of the world - particularly the US - is a dumpster fire. Can't possibly be the latter, no no. It's that damn Ticky Tok with all the dances and whatnot.
Yeah, except social media itself is a dumpster fire that time and time again has been shown to detrimental to our wellbeing. Misinformation, unhealthy and dangerous ideas, promoting dangerous and unethical and even extremist material, and it's constant negativity and judgement. No where in life do I encounter the disapproval up to seething hatred that I find on the internet and social media. It's like they're two different realities and if I plugged myself into the Matrix I'd probably as miserable as I was when I was a Christian.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The problem is that social media exposes us to things going on in the world that we wouldn't have any clue about without it, and that don't affect our daily lives. A recent earthquake in Turkey killed tens of thousands of people - would you have known about that event if not for the internet?
Yes, lots of us would. We knew about things going on in the world even before any sort or version of the Internet existed at all.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, the world has a lot of huge and urgent problems.

That said, I'm always amused when people defend social media without understanding the neuroscience of addiction and dopamine and serotonin, and how social media feeds those mechanisms.
Somewhat ironically, on my YouTube feed a content creator I sometimes watch, just released a video about how folks like Jordan Peterson and Elon Musk rotted their brains with Twitter addiction. Haven’t watched it yet so can’t comment on it either way
But I thought it was an amusing coincidence nonetheless lol

nPeace

Veteran Member
I think a lot of it can be due to social media, as young people are constantly "judged" or have to live up to certain things, such as you can't be too fat, you have to look smart, you don't have enough likes on your posts or "friends".

Also, I think parents in general spend too little time with them and work too much in general. I know from my brother that his kids have very few interests and almost have to be forced to do anything, they do like football at the moment, but besides that, it's pretty much computer nonstop. Which I don't think is very uncommon in modern families. But parents are not really together with their children when they all just stare at a computer screen or at a phone.

At least from what I know, not that I know a lot about it, is that it is the same issue in Denmark and would assume in most developed countries to be honest.
You mentioned bullying Nimos.
I know that when we are very young, we are more vulnerable, especially, if our parents are not very visible... for the most part.
So, this is understandable.
Suicides under age 13: One every 5 days

Do you think though that so many high school teens would be that susceptible to the prodding of bullies?
I'm not saying some wouldn't, but 40% is quite a huge number.

I think @Quintessence made a good point on students stressed over finances.
Not being able to finish college, or accomplish your goal... especially if your dad is "breathing down your neck", and you are "expected to succeed", isn't easy on a lot of youths out there.
Then, the desire to be "popular" in the eyes of peers, is added pressure.

I don't think we can rule out the pressure to relieve that stress, by using some substance offered by "friends"... a guilty conscience... feeling unloved...
There are so many contributing factors I can think of, but you made a good point about parenting.

What do you suppose is the reason for that lack in parents, since this can be a root, that would cause a serious domino effect?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I'm guessing they found out about it through the interwebs, unless they're an international company directly affected in Turkey.
I couldn't say how, that's above my paygrade; what I will share is that I work in telecommunications, and we do have a lot of customers that regularly travel in that area. Effects ranged from service interruptions to temporary holds being placed on due bills so that service wouldn't be interrupted.

Point being, I hope we agree, we're more aware of tragedy and disaster and outrage because of social media than generations past.
Yes, I do agree that we are more aware. Where we may disagree is that I think it's a good thing. When the local news outlets are too corrupt to truthfully report on the gravity of an issue, social media often shows what's happening. When police overstep their boundaries, turn off their bodycams and infringe on civilian rights, social media shines a light on that. When a teacher goes on a racist and abusive rant, social media is the evidence that brings them to justice. When a nation commits crimes against their people, and the Associated Press is unable to report, social media is how we find out that they're killing people in the streets.

None of these are hyperbolic. For as much of a dumpster fire social media itself can be at times (@Shadow Wolf), those same things can be found in every form of media from billboards to national news stations. And there's always someone out there that will take the National Inquirer as the gods' honest truth. Yet news outlets and governments hate social media so much because more people are able to get their news from social media than from their media.

These days, that news comes to us daily through an object we all carry around in our pocket. We hear about every natural disaster, every shooting, every political uprising, every military conflict.
The news comes to those who consume it. More often than not it's not forced on us, we have to be actively engaging to receive it. Just as an example my TikTok feed is Dungeons & Dragons and Paganism. My YouTube feed is gaming videos and comedy commentary. Which is why I didn't find out about the earthquake in Turkey until I was notified of my job's policies.

We can know about every natural disaster, shooting, uprising, and conflict out there. And I still argue that's overall a good thing. Is is scary? Sure. But it's reality, and it's better to be aware that there are shootings happening all over the nation, or that several nations - ours included - may be going to war, or that the cost of food and gas may be increasing because a major exporter of those goods is having a political conflict. Better to be able to prepare than to be blindsided.

I think it's overly simplistic to argue that we're irresponsible to not get every update that every social media and news outlet wants to send us about every injustice in the world. There's a question of how much negativity the human mind can cope with. If daily news consumption is making you want to kill yourself, it's not irresponsible to cut it out, or at least cut it back. In fact I'd argue it's irresponsible to continue media consumption at the same rate.
That is not at all what I said.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Whilst I can agree that the internet is an amazing achievement for mankind and has opened up a great world of information, at levels never seen before
That doesn’t mean it doesn’t have its issues, either
Ignoring social media addiction, which is a topic I don’t think I’m educated enough to speak on, it isn’t all rainbows and lollipops either
The internet as a tool has made harassment a lot easier to initiate. To the point of driving people to suicide. It’s made isolated toxic spaces a lot easier to get into and harder to escape from.
And it has come with its own baggage of judgment, enforcement of double standards, toxicity and unreasonable standards for the young to try to keep up with.

Particularly with the youth being both naive and exposed to so much information (and even misinformation) at unprecedented rates, at the same time, let’s not be so quick to blindly defend social media. It can be very toxic and it can also be great places of very safe communities for folks. It’s a tool and like any tool it can be both good and bad. It just depends on how it’s used.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Particularly with the youth being both naive and exposed to so much information (and even misinformation) at unprecedented rates, at the same time, let’s not be so quick to blindly defend social media. It can be very toxic and it can also be great places of very safe communities for folks. It’s a tool and like any tool it can be both good and bad. It just depends on how it’s used.
For that quote specifically, I'm not defending social media. I maintain that outlook that the real world is just as much to blame for increasing mental health issues. Can social media play a role in that? Of course. Yet even when the phone is put down, family is still abusive, religion is still toxic and rampant, governments local and national are still increasingly hostile toward their constituents, and even the environment is becoming increasingly inhospitable.

The world is just plainly not a bright place anymore, and we're barreling right along towards disaster as though it's a race.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
For that quote specifically, I'm not defending social media. I maintain that outlook that the real world is just as much to blame for increasing mental health issues. Can social media play a role in that? Of course. Yet even when the phone is put down, family is still abusive, religion is still toxic and rampant, governments local and national are still increasingly hostile toward their constituents, and even the environment is becoming increasingly inhospitable.

The world is just plainly not a bright place anymore, and we're barreling right along towards disaster as though it's a race.
Fair enough
I can agree with that take

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, I do agree that we are more aware. Where we may disagree is that I think it's a good thing. When the local news outlets are too corrupt to truthfully report on the gravity of an issue, social media often shows what's happening. When police overstep their boundaries, turn off their bodycams and infringe on civilian rights, social media shines a light on that. When a teacher goes on a racist and abusive rant, social media is the evidence that brings them to justice. When a nation commits crimes against their people, and the Associated Press is unable to report, social media is how we find out that they're killing people in the streets.

None of these are hyperbolic. For as much of a dumpster fire social media itself can be at times (@Shadow Wolf), those same things can be found in every form of media from billboards to national news stations. And there's always someone out there that will take the National Inquirer as the gods' honest truth. Yet news outlets and governments hate social media so much because more people are able to get their news from social media than from their media.

I think it's a mixed bag. I see your point that it has many advantages; I don't disagree. But I think it also comes with negative side effects.

There's another angle of social media and mental health that doesn't have to do with "the news." It's the idea that we start feeling ****ty about ourselves when we compare our lives (and our bodies) to the curated ones we see on social media. I suspect that for younger folks this is a bigger factor in how social media shapes their mental health.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
I was just reading an article, which was both surprising and sadly disturbing.
On Monday, February 13, 2023, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the United States released a report on the mental health of U.S. teens. It noted that over 40 percent of high school students experienced persistent sadness and hopelessness.

“Although we have seen worsening trends in mental health for young people over the last 10 years,” stated Dr. Kathleen Ethier, director of CDC’s Division of Adolescent and School Health (DASH), “the levels of poor mental health and suicidal thoughts and behaviors reported by teenage girls are now higher than we have ever seen.”

With all the problems we face, it's sad that many youth face this as well.
What do you think are the reasons or contributing factors for this?
One key part of the big picture answer has been given a few times I bet, I saw already in post #3, the isolation that comes from social media. Here's my theory on why that is going to be depressing for very many people in a bit more detail:.

On social media a person will normally post, and then have to wait for someone to respond (or not...) for a while.... but on the unconscious level of how the brain is wired...that's sorta like if you went to a party and said hello to a few people, and for some time (minutes, or even longer) no one responds (yet...). (That would be unconsciously depressing if you weren't in a ongoing conversation already on the side)

Even though later some people come by and say hi back, it might feel like only charity at that point, in an in-person party...you'd already be a bit sad unconsciously, even if you had the idea you had to wait... In contrast, a live phone call for instance doesn't have that experience of you say "hi" and then for minutes no one responds.

So, it's often wired to be depressing, at least for many, in that they don't have some other ongoing interaction on the side. Contrastingly, a person with a lot of love already in their life is perfectly ok if they say 'hi' and no one responds quickly, because their love tank is already full, etc. But see, many don't have a full tank.

Ponder This

I was just reading an article, which was both surprising and sadly disturbing.
On Monday, February 13, 2023, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the United States released a report on the mental health of U.S. teens. It noted that over 40 percent of high school students experienced persistent sadness and hopelessness.

“Although we have seen worsening trends in mental health for young people over the last 10 years,” stated Dr. Kathleen Ethier, director of CDC’s Division of Adolescent and School Health (DASH), “the levels of poor mental health and suicidal thoughts and behaviors reported by teenage girls are now higher than we have ever seen.”

With all the problems we face, it's sad that many youth face this as well.
What do you think are the reasons or contributing factors for this?

It's not that simple. There are many forms of negative emotion. It can't be properly diagnosed without further inquiry.
Is your life bad? Or are your depressed?
Do you have friends? Family? Relationship?
Do you have a plan for your future?
How do you spend your time inside/outside of school?
Are you free of chemical dependencies?
Are you engaged in the community?
If your life is not bad, then you have to ask if there is a biochemical issue.
Proper sleep, proper diet, proper sunlight, proper exercise, environment.
teen-girls-sad-chart.jpg

It's important to note that girls are more likely to report depression or seek treatment for depression. Also, depression in teens has been consistently on the rise since 2011 - it's not a new trend. Covid probably only exacerbated an existing condition as opposed to being the underlying cause.
_105835934_bcab9089-c5de-4ab0-8068-487fa147aa11-nc.png

This data suggests that violence and chemical abuse went down, which would mean they are unlikely to be the primary cause of the trend in depression, but notice that 14-year olds are getting less sleep and a lack of sleep can be directly connected to an increase in depression. Almost all teens are sleep deprived. Note: teens are far more likely to sleep with their cell phone nearby, which is correlated with lower quality sleep. Also notice the incease in obesity. Obesity is correlated with improper diet and exercise.

Addressing proper habits might be a possible solution to the depression trend, but we shouldn't rule out other causes because there are many potential underlying causes. I would be wary of attributing bad news in the media as a primary cause. While watching too much bad news can be depressing, it is also the case that a person who is depressed will be more likely to describe events in the environment as being depressing. That said, teen preganancy has decreased significantly since 1990 and more people today say they don't want to have children because of the state of the world that they would be bringing a child into. One way to combat depression is to spend (90 minutes of) time every day writing an autobiography examining your past experiences and talking about your plan for the future.
TL;DR: Depression has many causes. It's not clear what the dominant underlying cause is, but one significant way to decrease depression is to improve life habits in terms of eat-sleep-play. Establish healthy relationships and a plan for the future.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
There's another angle of social media and mental health that doesn't have to do with "the news." It's the idea that we start feeling ****ty about ourselves when we compare our lives (and our bodies) to the curated ones we see on social media. I suspect that for younger folks this is a bigger factor in how social media shapes their mental health.
Our lives? Maybe. Our bodies? I think society does more harm at that than social media ever will. To that end, social media carves out spaces of acceptance and community (though yes, you'll get the keyboard-brave trolls and such). But go to a mall and walk past any Victoria Secret, and there's plenty beyond the phone that affects our body images.