• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Thelema Kicks *** (article)

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
Why Thelema Kicks *** | IAO131

"One question that I have heard from friends and that I have often asked myself is, “Why Thelema?” Why not identify with any of the other religions or philosophies? I want to explain why I believe in the power of Thelema as a rule of life, and consequently why I believe that Thelema will continue to grow..."

This person put it very well in this essay: Why Thelema Kicks *** | IAO131

hornsby

Why Thelema Kicks *** | IAO131

"One question that I have heard from friends and that I have often asked myself is, “Why Thelema?” Why not identify with any of the other religions or philosophies? I want to explain why I believe in the power of Thelema as a rule of life, and consequently why I believe that Thelema will continue to grow..."

This person put it very well in this essay: Why Thelema Kicks *** | IAO131

so what are the practices of your sex cult? what does it entail>?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for sharing, Octavia!

It's interesting though the exceptions made for tolerating intolerance, because I tend to tolerate intolerance (or "each to their own, provided you're not directly adversarial towards me and my way of life;" I'm not a pushover pacifist after all). This apparently makes me even more radical than Thelema?! :D

Octavia156

OTO/EGC

I'll quote the article I posted in the Peaches Gelpohp Thread about celebrites joining the OTO:

Eyes Wide Open
So is O.T.O. a ‘sex cult’? Well that very much depends on your terms of definition. If one would be equally happy to describe the Christian faith as primarily an ‘anti-sex cult’, then yes, it may well be. That O.T.O. celebrates the process of procreation and denies the sex-negative Christian concept of original sin is certainly no secret. The central ritual of the O.T.O., a eucharistic rite known as the Gnostic Mass, pays due reverence to both male and female aspects of the divine, and if you have ever been fortunate enough to attend one, you will know that the sexual symbolism contained in the ritual is thinly veiled at most.
But does it logically follow that a religiously inclined emphasis on nature’s miraculous power of bringing forth life, necessarily translate into the O.T.O. also being some kind of Eyes Wide Shut organisation set up for the purpose of holding Satanic orgies? It seems unlikely.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Can you post more "inside information" on the Gnostic Mass? It interests me

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
Sure - The Gnostic Mass is not secret, I have been ordained a Priestess in EGC.. and played the role at the UKs 100th Anniversary of M.'.M.'.M.'. (OTO) in London.

What questions to you have?

IAO131

Thelemite

Lots of sex of course. Thelema isn't a sex cult. It's a True Will cult.

Oh the irony. It starts with "do what thou wilt" and tolerance and immediately afterwards spouts dogma.

All beliefs are dogmas, even the belief in no beliefs. What dogmas in particular are you speaking about, out of curiosity?

Thanks for sharing, Octavia!

It's interesting though the exceptions made for tolerating intolerance, because I tend to tolerate intolerance (or "each to their own, provided you're not directly adversarial towards me and my way of life;" I'm not a pushover pacifist after all). This apparently makes me even more radical than Thelema?! :D

Would you tolerate persecution of minorities? Would you tolerate hate crimes and slander? That is where tolerance ends and the fight against superstition, tyranny, and oppression begins.

Can you post more "inside information" on the Gnostic Mass? It interests me

The Gnostic Mass is a public ritual available to read online: lib[dot]oto-usa[dot]org/libri/liber0015[dot]html

The current X* of United States grand lodge OTO has an extensive commentary on it available for free online as well: hermetic[dot]com/sabazius/gnostic_mass[dot]htm

(replace [dot]s with . )

93 93/93

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
All beliefs are dogmas, even the belief in no beliefs. What dogmas in particular are you speaking about, out of curiosity?

We are radical in our acceptance of others as they are, however they may think, speak, or act, yet we also take up arms against dogmatism, prejudice, and superstition that impede the full expression of humanity’s liberty.
376.jpg

Of course feel free to substitute "more open minded" with "less superstitious" or "more accepting".

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Dear Octavia and IAO, you guys seem to be a lot more polite and curtious to your critics than some other Thelemites I've known in the past. I could learn a thing or two from you.

Xeper em Ma'at.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I will so -- and yes --- I think people SHOULD think for themselves and fight for freedom :p don't you?
Labeling others' beliefs as superstitions really needs to be turned back on the ones saying it, don't you think? Hell, Crowley used to play invisible, and what did people think of him?

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
Labeling others' beliefs as superstitions really needs to be turned back on the ones saying it, don't you think? Hell, Crowley used to play invisible, and what did people think of him?

Please remember Crowley was a Scientist - so superstition for him was the concept of believing in something one has no experiential evidence for.

Crowley used to play invisible? please explain how you see this as superstitious
I know the story you are thinking about - the concept of hiding in plain sight.. but I can't see how this is superstitious - he didn't believe he was invisible! It was practising the art of going unnoticed... pretty standard practise I imagine for an agent of MI6 :cool:.

If you're interested in this please check out John St John - if I recall he mentions this practise in this book, but I may be mistaken... i know he did a lot of mantra-walking in that working.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Crowley used to play invisible? please explain how you see this as superstitious

Not the point. Crowley did things others would see as superstitious nonsense. Labeling the actions and beliefs of others as superstitious is ignorance of their reasoning.

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
Not the point. Crowley did things others would see as superstitious nonsense. Labeling the actions and beliefs of others as superstitious is ignorance of their reasoning.

Totally.

He has us dressing up in robes, chanting barabric words, performting strange ritualsm caling forth archangels to achieve "magical results"!!!
However in the instruction manual for all these principle practises (Liber O) the introduction states this:

1. This book is very easy to misunderstand; readers are asked to use the most minute critical care in the study of it, even as we have done in its preparation.
2. In this book it is spoken of the Sephiroth and the Paths; of Spirits and Conjurations; of Gods, Spheres, Planes, and many other things which may or may not exist.
It is immaterial whether these exist or not. By doing certain things certain results will follow; students are most earnestly warned against attributing objective reality or philosophic validity to any of them.
He wanted everyone to only accept results that has been scientffically validated through repition. Superstition for Crowley is blind belief/faith.
So if you've had an actual mystical vision of God - then you have every reason to believe in God.. but if you believe in God because someone told you he exists with no evidence... then you are being superstitious.

Scientific method is imperative to Thelemic practise

Does that manke sense?

Last edited:

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
So is this religion all about sex? My religion say's SEX. Maybe I should join.....

Doesn't everything in the Univrse come down to sex!?

The simple answer is yes... but not just the physical act of making a child... we recognise that "everything is fornicating all the time"

everything in existance can be considered to be the result of a sexual act between the infinite (Nuit) and infinitessimal (Hadit).. the result being a "thing" (Ra Hoor Kuit)

I could go on but I've got to go out now!
I shall return and no doubt EDIT