• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why single out and attack Christians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
I can't help but notice that most of the threads on this site seem to be designed to attack Christians and the Christian faith. Why is that?

Scott C.

Just one guy
Do you think that maybe they feel threatened by our faith?

Throughout history, there has always been hatred and disdain by some, towards those who have reason to rejoice in the divine purposes of life and the hope of a great forever. I suppose it will always be that way and continue to become more prevalent as the end times progress. It's prophesied that such will be the case.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
Throughout history, there has always been hatred and disdain by some, towards those who have reason to rejoice in the divine purposes of life and the hope of a great forever. I suppose it will always be that way and continue to become more prevalent as the end times progress. It's prophesied that such will be the case.

True. And don't forget the unrighteous will always hate the righteous. Of course I'm talking about righteousness imputed to us by the blood of Christ.

Demonslayer

I can't help but notice that most of the threads on this site seem to be designed to attack Christians and the Christian faith. Why is that?

Because it's funny to watch your head's spin off when we make fun of Jesus. :p

No, my real answer is this.

1. Most folks posting here...at least a healthy majority...are from the U.S.
2. In the U.S. the dominant religion is Christianity.
3. In the U.S. the dominant religion, Christianity, effects our daily lives in ways that other religions don't. You've got people trying to overturn legal abortion, prevent rights for gay people, and Christian politicians constantly trying to legislate laws based on the Christian religion, etc.

That's why it seems like people "attack" Christianity more...because for a lot of people Christianity has a direct effect on their lives where other religions do not. I know the Muslim religion isn't fond of homosexuality, but it my neck of the woods it's Christians out on the street corner holding up their ugly anti-gay signs. It's Christian pastors saying things like we should keep gay and lesbian people behind fences (Pastor Charles Worley), or that the government should be killing gay people. (Pastor Curtis Knapp). It was a Christian President (George W Bush) who said atheists shouldn't be considered American citizens. Etc. etc.

There is probably a lot to criticize about the Hindu religion, but Hindu's aren't knocking on my door trying to convert me to the Blue Elephant Headed Guy. We criticize what effects us the most, and for Americans when it comes to religion it is the Christian religion that has the most direct effect.

First Baseman

Retired athlete

3. In the U.S. the dominant religion, Christianity, effects our daily lives in ways that other religions don't. You've got people trying to overturn legal abortion, prevent rights for gay people, and Christian politicians constantly trying to legislate laws based on the Christian religion, etc.

That's why it seems like people "attack" Christianity more...because for a lot of people Christianity has a direct effect on their lives where other religions do not. I know the Muslim religion isn't fond of homosexuality, but it my neck of the woods it's Christians out on the street corner holding up their ugly anti-gay signs. It's Christian pastors saying things like we should keep gay and lesbian people behind fences (Pastor Charles Worley), or that the government should be killing gay people. (Pastor Curtis Knapp). It was a Christian President (George W Bush) who said atheists shouldn't be considered American citizens. Etc. etc.

There is probably a lot to criticize about the Hindu religion, but Hindu's aren't knocking on my door trying to convert me to the Blue Elephant Headed Guy. We criticize what effects us the most, and for Americans when it comes to religion it is the Christian religion that has the most direct effect.

Okay, that is a logical answer.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Okay, that is a logical answer.
While I applaud and would perhaps expand upon and add to @Demonslayer 's post, I note that this is in the Christian DIR, and as I no longer identify as Christian, it is inappropriate for me to comment here. Perhaps, if you were to post a similar thread in Comparative Religions or elsewhere, others might be able to respond in an informative manner.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
As noted we are in the Christian DIR, I'd suggest that you want better answers you move somewhere outside. I will try to answer within the rules of DIR
True. And don't forget the unrighteous will always hate the righteous. Of course I'm talking about righteousness imputed to us by the blood of Christ.
Think about the hubris of your statement. Ask yourself if it is respectful and civil or even accurate.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I suspect the reason's simple. There are more ex-Christians on here than any other apostates.
Thus any anti-Christian bias is simply because having been Christians they know its ways and beliefs and it is therefore easy to confidently criticise it.

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
Many Christians come off as arrogant, especially this post:

Additionally, I live in the South of the US and there are many, many churches here (Protestant and Catholic) and many of them (especially Protestants) can be very cliquish and look on those who are not part of their specific congregation as not taking part in some greater divine truth. It's very off putting and often does the exact of what they hope to achieve (bringing in others to their faith).

Scott C.

Just one guy
Many Christians come off as arrogant, especially this post:

Additionally, I live in the South of the US and there are many, many churches here (Protestant and Catholic) and many of them (especially Protestants) can be very cliquish and look on those who are not part of their specific congregation as not taking part in some greater divine truth. It's very off putting and often does the exact of what they hope to achieve (bringing in others to their faith).

Yeah honestly I can see why my post could come across as arrogant. But when someone tells me that since I have faith and hope in God, that I must have lower intelligence than them and am subject to hallucinations, mind tricks, and brain washing,... it makes me wonder if they are arrogant, are honestly trying to help me, are pissed off because they feel that Christians look down on them, or some combination. I was in the mood to take a shot at them. I'm usually more careful in what I say.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

WE HAVE YOUR NUMBER

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think your answer to your question for the topic is found in the hubris of the statement of this post alone. My answer is those who claim salvation while acting completely contrary to any sort of actual spiritual realization. It's the self-righteous hypocrisy and hubris that makes Christianity a target, sad to say. It's the Christians, not Christianity. Like Ghandi perfectly said, “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” And then Jesus said it best, "By their fruits you shall know them."

First Baseman

Retired athlete
Oh, whoops, I'm a damn dirty atheist and I didn't check what category this was in. Sorry Christians.

Demonslayer and I have been friends for a long time and I have no problem with your posts. You already know this but I posted this so that others know what I think about it.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
I think your answer to your question for the topic is found in the hubris of the statement of this post alone. My answer is those who claim salvation while acting completely contrary to any sort of actual spiritual realization. It's the self-righteous hypocrisy and hubris that makes Christianity a target, sad to say. It's the Christians, not Christianity. Like Ghandi perfectly said, “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” And then Jesus said it best, "By their fruits you shall know them."

I think that what non-Christians do not understand is that most Christians agree that we are not righteous. Jesus said that no one is good except God. That includes Christians, too. Only Jesus' righteousness is credited to us by His blood because we believe.

Anyone who thinks he is a righteous person on his own or is better than anyone else misunderstands the teaching of Jesus. Many, many Christians are taught incorrectly that they are somehow "better" than unbelievers. We should be doing our best to obey Christ but not one of us is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.