• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why should we love God?

DNB

Christian
The idea for this thread came from what I was discussing with @Truthseeker on another thread.

A verse in the Qur'an about a possible good outcome for people from all religions

Why is it always our fault if we don't love God enough? Why does that have to mean that we are in some way deficient? What did God ever do to prove His love to us? Oh, I know, He sent His only Son, but big deal. He did not lose His only Son because Jesus is with God in Heaven now.

God also sent other Messengers, but what did God do to sacrifice anything for us? Nothing. Sure, the Messengers of God sacrificed a lot, but they are not God.

Then there is all the suffering in the world that God created and God created a world in which He knew humans would suffer, and worse yet, some people suffer much more than others. Logically speaking, God is responsible for creating such a world so God is left holding the bag.

It even says that this world is a storehouse of suffering in the Baha’i Writings: Storehouse of Suffering quote

I do not understand why Baha’is cannot understand that God is responsible for this suffering since God created this world. Please note that I am not referring to the suffering the results from human free will choices, as I believe humans are responsible for that suffering, God is not responsible for it.

Please spare me the religious apologetic about how suffering is ‘good for us” and how we should be grateful to God for suffering, or how people really don’t have to suffer, implying that their suffering is all their fault because they cannot be more detached. Save this for another day. Nothing could be more insensitive to say to people who are suffering.

I am looking for a reason to love God, other than what the scriptures say about how good God is, and I am coming up empty-handed. :(

Maybe my downfall is that I am logical rather than just believing what I want to believe based upon scriptures.
First and foremost, because God is love - there would be no comprehension of the term if we were not created in His image - love is not derived from stardust or protoplasm, this is, in a purely materialistic or secular world.
Secondly, we all owe God gratitude simply due to the fact that He gave us life, consciousness, ...and the ability to both love and be loved.
Yes, life for all is not the same, but what God has in store for the faithful and those who persevere in their sufferings, will be indescribable, and unwarranted due to heinous crimes that all mankind has committed on earth.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
For me the reasons are for example that He has given us life and this opportunity.

But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you, that you may be children of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust.
Mat. 5:44-45

I also believe He has given wisdom and good teachings, which to me are sign of love.

But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach; and it will be given to him.
James 1:5

But, maybe this also depends on what loving God means. Bible says:

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. His commandments are not grievous.
1 John 5:3

I think His commandments are good, therefore I want to live by them.
All good reasons to love Jesus. :);)
However, I do not believe that Jesus is God. While Jesus is a mirror image of God's attributes and revealed God's will, Jesus is not responsible for the suffering in the world, God is responsible for that. Jesus came to ameliorate suffering and offer us eternal life.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
:) We may differ in the theology... but I think the analogies still apply.

So we rejoice on this resurrection morning celebration in that now we have not lost anything either but we have gained everything.
Happy Easter you you and your family. :)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
There are bigger things at stake than us being happy all the time and one day we will find out about them and realise. In the meantime we trust God.
That just about says it all. I don't care about my personal happiness. I do not need much and I am content when others around me are not suffering, the cats or my husband.

Yes, I believe that one day we will find out about them. Meanwhile we just have to trust God.

“O My servants! Sorrow not if, in these days and on this earthly plane, things contrary to your wishes have been ordained and manifested by God, for days of blissful joy, of heavenly delight, are assuredly in store for you. Worlds, holy and spiritually glorious, will be unveiled to your eyes. You are destined by Him, in this world and hereafter, to partake of their benefits, to share in their joys, and to obtain a portion of their sustaining grace. To each and every one of them you will, no doubt, attain.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 329

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Definitely

It's a simple logical solution, and you just said today that you are logical. And always more satisfying (rewarding) to solve puzzles ourselves, don't you think?
What is the logical solution, to force myself to love God even if I do not love God?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Probably there aren't too many people who really love God.
Why do you think that not many people really love God?
What do you think it means to love God? Is it an emotion? If serving God is loving God then maybe I do love God.
So, I don't think you are alone. But, perhaps you don't like this world, and its conditions, and since you believe it is created by God, you don't love God for creating it.
Yes, you hit the nail on the head. I'll bet that most people who love God also love this world and love their lives in this world, and then there are people like me to whom the converse applies.
The other side of it, is, the reason the world is so bad, is we may become detached from it, and seek to love something else worthy. That thing is God.
Please explain why you think God is worthy. If I understood that maybe I would love God.
That is why I posted this thread, in an attempt to understand why we should love God.

I agree with what you said about detachment, but I don't think that works for most people. How many people do you think are detached from this world? Most people love this world. Many also say they love God, but what do they love most?

John 12:24-26 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
True, not all people can endure as well as others. They have more reason to suffer. They have more piled upon them. That's a mystery that will be solved for us after we die. I do believe that those who suffer the most through no fault of their own will be recompensated more.
I sure hope your beliefs are true as otherwise God would not be just. ;)
But of course we can never know until we die, and even then we might not know what happens to other people, only what happens to us. :(

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
In my case it would be a matter of pretending to love god, since it's impossible for me to genuinely love anything for which I have no verifiable evidence even actually exists.
How could you love a God you do not believe exists?
In my case it would be pretending and I am not one to pretend.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If you would pray for spiritual strength, God might help you. You could pick a prayer or prayers you are comfortable with. I assume you would feel hypocritical saying a prayer where you say you love Him.
Aside from the Short Obligatory Prayer, the only prayers I ever say are the Remover of Difficulties and God Sufficeth all things above all things, prayers of the Bab.

Yes, I would feel hypocritical if I said a prayer that says I love Him. :(
If I say a prayer to love God and I am not sincere, God would know that, so i don't see the point...

There is a part of me that does not want to love God, the part that is so angry about all the suffering. If God wants me to love Him, He could cut me a break. Even if that means helping my husband that would be enough, because I don't need anything for myself.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It is not selfish.

Definition of selfish

1: concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others.

Seeking God's love is not being concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself. If you feel God's love, chances are you will give more to others.
It is selfish if seeking God's love is seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being. I think most people seek God's love for selfish purposes.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That's one reason for it, yes. Another reason I offered is that when people suffer this brings out caring for other people's suffering. In effect suffering brings out this attribute of God in us.
How can that be an attribute of God?
If God cares about people's suffering why does God cause us to suffer?
You don't see the logical contradiction?

I know all the Baha'i apologetic that suffering is good for us but that does not work for me. :(

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yes, life for all is not the same, but what God has in store for the faithful and those who persevere in their sufferings, will be indescribable,
That is also my belief, but meanwhile.....
I just cannot believe a God that allows so much suffering and even sends it on purpose is loving.
Sorry, my mind works logically.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"We" is everyone who does not love God enough, according to what Abrahamic scriptures say about how we should love God.

No, I don't expect you to know why I don't love God enough. I just threw it out there for discussion because some people might have some reasons why I should love God, reasons I have not thought of.
What does it say about HOW "we" should love god?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Good question. I don't think it says. The question is what it means to love God, how would that love be expressed. Love is more than an emotion, it is an action.
Very true! But, not an emotion. An attitude. Attitude plus action.

Emotions are something else. I think that attitude can be controlled. Of course, actions can be controlled. Emotions, not so much control there! So, help us GOD!