• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why should I believe in your religion and faith?

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
That I do not know but Buddism is considred a Pagan belief I don't know think Buddha himself had a religion persay just a diffferent way of looking at things is all.

I'm almost certain that Buddha was a self-proclaimed agnostic. That is quite the contrast from the claims of Jesus Christ revealed in the Bible. I'm not sure if any other major religious leader like Mohammed, Joseph Smith, Gandi, etc claimed to be deity and have others throughout history follow them. The claims of Jesus Christ is quite unique, don't you agree?

Kcnorwood

I'm almost certain that Buddha was a self-proclaimed agnostic. That is quite the contrast from the claims of Jesus Christ revealed in the Bible. I'm not sure if any other major religious leader like Mohammed, Joseph Smith, Gandi, etc claimed to be deity and have others throughout history follow them. The claims of Jesus Christ is quite unique, don't you agree?

Buddha never claimed to be a God besides how many people these days have layed cliam to the same thing? Claiming to be something does not make it true.

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
Buddha never claimed to be a God besides how many people these days have layed cliam to the same thing? Claiming to be something does not make it true.

I agree. There are many lunatics who have claimed to be God, but nobody actually believed them. What's unique about the claim of Jesus of being deity is that people from all tongues, tribes, and nations believe in the claim of Jesus being God in the flesh, and still worship Him today as God almighty. I think Christianity is still the largest religion in the world in the 21st century too. I believe the Bible is still the number one best seller of all time in human history, correct? I think people from all walks of life have tried to discredit or to disprove the Christian Faith without success. I think the validity of Christianity rests with the ressurection of Jesus Christ. Disprove the ressurection and you undermine the Christian Faith. Can it be done?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I agree. There are many lunatics who have claimed to be God, but nobody actually believed them. What's unique about the claim of Jesus of being deity is that people from all tongues, tribes, and nations believe in the claim of Jesus being God in the flesh, and still worship Him today as God almighty.
Appeal to numbers.
Though it may seem impressive, it is irrelevant to the truth.

I think Christianity is still the largest religion in the world in the 21st century too. I believe the Bible is still the number one best seller of all time in human history, correct?
More appeal to numbers?
Or is this the bandwagon approach?

I think people from all walks of life have tried to discredit or to disprove the Christian Faith without success.
Opinions differ.
There are many people who believe that Christianity has been discredited.
Your ignoring this fact does not alter it any.

I think the validity of Christianity rests with the ressurection of Jesus Christ. Disprove the ressurection and you undermine the Christian Faith. Can it be done?
you are funny.
You cannot even show that Jesus actually walked the face of the earth.
Nor can you provide anything to show that his execution took place,
let alone that he was resurrected.

Nice try though.

Kcnorwood

I agree. There are many lunatics who have claimed to be God, but nobody actually believed them. What's unique about the claim of Jesus of being deity is that people from all tongues, tribes, and nations believe in the claim of Jesus being God in the flesh, and still worship Him today as God almighty. I think Christianity is still the largest religion in the world in the 21st century too. I believe the Bible is still the number one best seller of all time in human history, correct? I think people from all walks of life have tried to discredit or to disprove the Christian Faith without success. I think the validity of Christianity rests with the ressurection of Jesus Christ. Disprove the ressurection and you undermine the Christian Faith. Can it be done?

The only reason Christianty became big in the first place was because of the Roman Catholic church. They killed anyone who did not convert to Christianty. Yes the bible is the best selling book but only because places like hotels & other buy them in buck to send to people, might does not make it right. The bible is also the most stolen book in the world to due to the fact that it's easy to sell. The bible can be dispoved just as any religion can but you can not disprove ones faith no matter what that faith may be.

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
The only reason Christianty became big in the first place was because of the Roman Catholic church. They killed anyone who did not convert to Christianty. Yes the bible is the best selling book but only because places like hotels & other buy them in buck to send to people, might does not make it right. The bible is also the most stolen book in the world to due to the fact that it's easy to sell. The bible can be dispoved just as any religion can but you can not disprove ones faith no matter what that faith may be.

Could you please share how you can disprove Christianity?

Kcnorwood

Could you please share how you can disprove Christianity?

I'm not here to disprove anyones one faith I am however pointing out that there are things about Christianty that do not add up just as Mestemia has pointed out to you.
Because you are a Christan yourself you see no flaws in your faith just as I see none in mine. To each thier own.

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
Originally Posted by Kcnorwood

I'm not here to disprove anyones one faith I am however pointing out that there are things about Christianty that do not add up just as Mestemia has pointed out to you.
Because you are a Christan yourself you see no flaws in your faith just as I see none in mine. To each thier own.

I think there a big difference in disproving Christianity than not believing it. It seems that your previous post stated that you could disprove Christianity just like any other religion. That is quite a tremendous claim that appeared to have been made. :rolleyes:

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
I think the validity of Christianity rests with the ressurection of Jesus Christ. Disprove the ressurection and you undermine the Christian Faith. Can it be done?
The validity doesn't have to rest on this, Paul's assertion notwithstanding. It rests on the historicity only if you choose to value the historical over the symbolic. Christianity can be quite validly interpreted symbolically. For example, we die to ourselves and are born again each time we look beyond ourselves to the transcendent.

Granted, such an interpretation doesn't work for everyone, but "valid" is relative. What's not valid for you may well be perfectly valid for another.

uss_bigd

The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are seperate and distinct, yet one in essence. There is one God revealed in three distinct persons making up the One God. Do you only worship the Father, and not the Son or Holy Spirit? Here is a reference to the Trinity from historical Christianity from the most accepted Protestant Confession of Faith. The Roman Catholic and Orthodox view would be the same in regards to the Trinity. If you click on the blue numbers, the scripture references will pop up. The rejection of the Trinity has always been declared heretical through the history of the church.

Chapter II

Of God, and of the Holy Trinity

I. There is but one only,[1] living, and true God,[2] who is infinite in being and perfection,[3] a most pure spirit,[4] invisible,[5] without body, parts,[6] or passions;[7] immutable,[8] immense,[9] eternal,[10] incomprehensible,[11] almighty,[12] most wise,[13] most holy,[14] most free,[15] most absolute;[16] working all things according to the counsel of His own immutable and most righteous will,[17] for His own glory;[18] most loving,[19] gracious, merciful, long-suffering, abundant in goodness and truth, forgiving iniquity, transgression, and sin;[20] the rewarder of them that diligently seek Him;[21] and withal, most just, and terrible in His judgments,[22] hating all sin,[23] and who will by no means clear the guilty.[24]

II. God has all life,[25] glory,[26] goodness,[27] blessedness,[28] in and of Himself; and is alone in and unto Himself all-sufficient, not standing in need of any creatures which He has made,[29] nor deriving any glory from them,[30] but only manifesting His own glory in, by, unto, and upon them. He is the alone fountain of all being, of whom, through whom, and to whom are all things;[31] and has most sovereign dominion over them, to do by them, for them, or upon them whatsoever Himself pleases.[32] In His sight all things are open and manifest,[33] His knowledge is infinite, infallible, and independent upon the creature,[34] so as nothing is to Him contingent, or uncertain.[35] He is most holy in all His counsels, in all His works, and in all His commands.[36] To Him is due from angels and men, and every other creature, whatsoever worship, service, or obedience He is pleased to require of them.[37]

III. In the unity of the Godhead there be three Persons of one substance, power, and eternity: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost.[38] The Father is of none, neither begotten nor proceeding; the Son is eternally begotten of the Father; [39] the Holy Ghost eternally proceeding from the Father and the Son. [40]

Westminster Confession of Faith

John 14:9:
Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

John 10:38:
But if I do it, even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father."

Here is the link to the Catholic view of the Trinity: CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH - TABLE OF CONTENTS

Sir, true Christianity must be biblical. you jsut proved the trinity is not with all the non-biblical references you furnished.

John 14:9 did not refer to image or anything material. it was spiritual. jesus meant, anyone who has seen his Righteouss has seen the Father's righteousness.

John 10:38 referred to the Father and The son's unity of purpose and no essence.

I assume to know that the Trinity states 3 EQUAL BEINGS, here is where it all ends sir, read on.

John 10:29
My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
John 13:16
Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
John 14:28
Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

The word Greater my friend is not due to interpretation, if Jesus CHRIST said the father is greater than he, i will beleive that in so that i can be called a a follower of CHRIST.:angel2:

Kcnorwood

I think there a big difference in disproving Christianity than not believing it. It seems that your previous post stated that you could disprove Christianity just like any other religion. That is quite a tremendous claim that appeared to have been made. :rolleyes:

Fine how about the that they there is NO evidence that Jesus waked the earth & or that 18 years is missing from his life. Lke I said before how do you explain that the teachings of Christ copy the teachings of Buddha almost word for word? AND Buddha was here 400 B.C. Also the very fact that the bible states that Jesus was supposed to have already returned & no ones seen or heard from him. Or that the bible was written by man & according to your God man is flawed which means the bible is too.

Take your pick those are just for starters....

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
Sir, true Christianity must be biblical. you jsut proved the trinity is not with all the non-biblical references you furnished.

John 14:9 did not refer to image or anything material. it was spiritual. jesus meant, anyone who has seen his Righteouss has seen the Father's righteousness.

John 10:38 referred to the Father and The son's unity of purpose and no essence.

I assume to know that the Trinity states 3 EQUAL BEINGS, here is where it all ends sir, read on.

John 10:29
My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
John 13:16
Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
John 14:28
Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

The word Greater my friend is not due to interpretation, if Jesus CHRIST said the father is greater than he, i will beleive that in so that i can be called a a follower of CHRIST.:angel2:

The Trinity, Triune God, or God-head consisting of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit has always been embraced and believed throughout the New Testament Church. The rejection of the Trinity has been declared heresy in church history based on all of Scripture. Anybody can distort truth by twisting scripture by isolating certain passages from the context of the entire Bible (all of scripture revelation interperted as one). Does your church consider worshiping the Triune God to be heretical and a damnable error? Could you please share your church link again that you orginally sent through a private message? Thanks!

uss_bigd

Fine how about the that they there is NO evidence that Jesus waked the earth & or that 18 years is missing from his life. quote]

When Christ was at the temple, The pharisees said "isn't he the carpenters son?
meaning, Christ was a carpenter in the 18 years you claim missing.

. Lke I said before how do you explain that the teachings of Christ copy the teachings of Buddha almost word for word?
which teachings are you referring to?

Also the very fact that the bible states that Jesus was supposed to have already returned & no ones seen or heard from him.

which verse are you referring to?

Or that the bible was written by man & according to your God man is flawed which means the bible is too.

what is flawed in the bible then? and whats your proof?

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
Fine how about the that they there is NO evidence that Jesus waked the earth & or that 18 years is missing from his life. Lke I said before how do you explain that the teachings of Christ copy the teachings of Buddha almost word for word? AND Buddha was here 400 B.C. Also the very fact that the bible states that Jesus was supposed to have already returned & no ones seen or heard from him. Or that the bible was written by man & according to your God man is flawed which means the bible is too.

Take your pick those are just for starters....

I think the historical person of Jesus of Nazareth has been accepted as fact from Christians, non-Chritstians and enemies of the cross alike. Do you think that Moses and Abraham were actual historical people? If you believe Buddha was a real person who you state is older than Jesus of Nazareth, why do you believe Buddha was a historical person and not Jesus of Nazareth? How about Pilate, was he a historical person?

Kcnorwood

Fine how about the that they there is NO evidence that Jesus waked the earth & or that 18 years is missing from his life. quote]

When Christ was at the temple, The pharisees said "isn't he the carpenters son?
meaning, Christ was a carpenter in the 18 years you claim missing.

Where does the bible say that this is where he was for 18 years?

. Lke I said before how do you explain that the teachings of Christ copy the teachings of Buddha almost word for word?
which teachings are you referring to?

Read below

what is flawed in the bible then? and whats your proof?

Does not your God say that we are born into sin? It would make sence that because man wrote the bible that it is full of sin too.

Buddha: If you do not tend to one another then who is there to tend to you? Whoever who would tend me, he should tend the sick.

Jesus: Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these, so you have done it unto me.

Buddha: Consider others as yourself.

Jesus: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Buddha: One who acts on truth is happy, in this world and beyond.

Jesus: You will know the truth and the truth will make you free.

Buddha:Hatred do not ever cease in this world by hating, but by love; this is an eternal truth... Overcome anger by love, Overcome evil by good. overcome the miser by giving, overcome the liar by truth.

Jesus: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. From anyone who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. Give to everyone who begs from you; and if anyone takes away your goods, do not ask for them again.

Oh one more I forgot The OT is the Jewish bible & of course the NT is the Christian bible yet the Jews do not believe in the NT & yet Christians preach the entire bible when only the NT is thiers.

Kcnorwood

I think the historical person of Jesus of Nazareth has been accepted as fact from Christians, non-Chritstians and enemies of the cross alike. Do you think that Moses and Abraham were actual historical people? If you believe Buddha was a real person who you state is older than Jesus of Nazareth, why do you believe Buddha was a historical person and not Jesus of Nazareth? How about Pilate, was he a historical person?

Just because SOME people accept that people believe that Jesus walked the earth does not make it true.

I never said Buddha was a real person I just find it intresting that the teachings of Christ copy his.

uss_bigd

The Trinity, Triune God, or God-head consisting of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit has always been embraced and believed throughout the New Testament Church. The rejection of the Trinity has been declared heresy in church history based on all of Scripture.

Its heresy against CATHOLIC doctrine yes. but it is not based on all scripture. definitely not.

Anybody can distort truth by twisting scripture by isolating certain passages from the context of the entire Bible (all of scripture revelation interperted as one).
I agree, but all i did was read sir, the Word greater is not subject to interpretation, we can ask a 5th graded and he will know greater does not mean equal. and that us the truth. to say otherwise is the distortion of the truth.

If the trinity says EQUAL Beings, and Christ said "the father isGREATER than I" saying they mean the same is the distortion of biblical truth.

Does your church consider worshiping the Triune God to be heretical and a damnable error?

Worshipping a different God as depicted in the bible is idolatry.
is it damnable? it depends.

Could you please share your church link again that you orginally sent through a private message? Thanks!

sure, HOME « Eliseo Soriano and Members of the Church of God International

you can also see this video The Old Path TV - Streaming Media site of Members Church of God International#

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
Just because SOME people accept that people believe that Jesus walked the earth does not make it true.

I never said Buddha was a real person I just find it intresting that the teachings of Christ copy his.

Are you impying that Buddha and Jesus never existed? Could you please share what Buddha taught that Jesus also taught. Thanks! :rainbow1:

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
Its heresy against CATHOLIC doctrine yes. but it is not based on all scripture. definitely not.

Anybody can distort truth by twisting scripture by isolating certain passages from the context of the entire Bible (all of scripture revelation interperted as one).
I agree, but all i did was read sir, the Word greater is not subject to interpretation, we can ask a 5th graded and he will know greater does not mean equal. and that us the truth. to say otherwise is the distortion of the truth.

If the trinity says EQUAL Beings, and Christ said "the father isGREATER than I" saying they mean the same is the distortion of biblical truth.

#

How would a 5th grader understand about being equal to the Father on the verse below? ;)

Philippians 2
If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:

Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Are you impying that Buddha and Jesus never existed? Could you please share what Buddha taught that Jesus also taught. Thanks! :rainbow1:
I do not know about him, but I am merely stating the fact that you cannot expect someone to disprove that Jesus was crucified when you cannot even prove he even existed.

Does this mean that Jesus did not exist?
Not by any means.
It merely means that his existence cannot be proven outside the scriptures the bible is based upon.

Furthermore, you have thus far gone out of your way to ignore the fact that NOTHING Jesus taught was new.