• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why should husband and wife/wives own property jointly?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Sometimes or even often while a discussion is proceeding reasonably, an issue comes in between that could derail the discussion.
This happened with the thread "Quran and women", and the issue that came in between is jointly owning the property/ies by husband and wife/wives. I want that we should discuss the rationale of owning the property/ies jointly by husband and wife/wives separately here.
Everybody and anybody could join the discussion.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
For seeing the discussion on the topic "Quran and Women", please click the post # below:

Post #160
Paarsurrey wrote:

We discuss verse by verse, the verses in the context as mentioned in post #2

The Holy Quran : Chapter 4: Al-Nisa'النِّسَاء
[4:30] O ye who believe! devour not your property among yourselves by unlawful means, except that you earn by trade with mutual consent. And kill not yourselves. Surely, Allah is Merciful to you.
Women and men have no disparity in believing, the verse is equally valid for both. Right?
Regards
56049.jpg

leibowde84 said :But, what about owning property jointly as husband and wife legally? Can you address that please?

Regards

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
both have a legal c
To make a distinction between producing stuff and stealing it. It is an important concept for civilised people to grasp.
Tom
not necessarily it could belong to the all

Curious George

Veteran Member
Sometimes or even often while a discussion is proceeding reasonably, an issue comes in between that could derail the discussion.
This happened with the thread "Quran and women", and the issue that came in between is jointly owning the property/ies by husband and wife/wives. I want that we should discuss the rationale of owning the property/ies jointly by husband and wife/wives separately here.

Regards
Are you asking why own jointly vs. Separately? The answer is tax and inheritance.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Anything that is used equally by both should be considered joint property shouldn't it? Like the house itself, furniture in the house, if the couple has but one car it is joint property. Many times couples buy two of something so there is a "his" and "hers": cars, computers, phones, and so on. They may still use each other's as they are still jointly owned, but just to make things easier.

It would not make sense to me for one person in a couple to own all the property, or to divide everything up as to who owns what. To me that just lays it out there that the couple, or at least the one of them driving the whole property argument, doesn't expect to stay together and are setting things up for ease of leaving the relationship.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I want that we should discuss the rationale of owning the property/ies jointly by husband and wife/wives separately here.
How about using the word "spouses", instead of husband and wive(s)? I have a spouse, but he is not my wife.

We are together as a permanent team until one of us dies. At least, that's my plan. So while there are assets I think of as mine, like my clothes, we really share everything. His name might be on the title to the car, he is the legal owner, it is really ours though. So is everything else.
To me, a relationship that isn't that way isn't really a marriage. It could be almost anything. Friends with benefits.
A man acquiring an all purpose household appliance. A woman getting a meal ticket. But not a true marriage.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Regards
Joint ownership is useful for real estate....
- Both have authority do do things, eg, turn on/off utilities
- Simple & tax free rights of survivorship

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Not a marriage advocate, but, if two people feel the need to bring the government into their love union lol then both should be jointly sharing property, etc.
What if the husband has two, three or four wives? I have only one wife, though.
Regards

Last edited: