• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Should God Right Our Wrongs?

Jeremiah

I'm assuming you think it is a paradox because your ethical ideas of good/evil/love/God lead you to believe that love prevents evil and suffering.... whereas I don't share your assumption... so no paradox.

So your ethical ideology cancels out mine? Then my idea there is no God cancels out yours. So no God.

Scott1

Love and all-powerful not love alone.
Gotcha... again, your presumption leads you to error.

What leads you to believe that the characteristics of love and being all-powerful should force God to act to prevent suffering and evil?

Jeremiah

Gotcha... again, your presumption leads you to error.

What leads you to believe that the characteristics of love and being all-powerful should force God to act to prevent suffering and evil?

Yes it does, as it does too many people. What would you think of a mother that lets the father beat the child? She has the power to stop it but does not act; this is wrong.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Yes it does, as it does too many people. What would you think of a mother that lets the father beat the child? She has the power to stop it but does not act; this is wrong.
faulty analogy.
What would you think of somebody who allows an ant to be squished?

Scott1

What would you think of a mother that lets the father beat the child? She has the power to stop it but does not act; this is wrong.
What would you think of an apple that beats an orange?

Come on now... you can't expect this weak example to give credence to your "paradox" argument.... what if the women does NOT physically have the power to stop the act... does the act then become morally ok?

Your example should be able to prove that love alone can destroy evil..... or that suffering can be stopped by mere love alone... otherwise God's being all-powerful is not relevant.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Comparing a human to an ant?

I can only worry about so much.
Well, if you were an omnipotent being who could bend space and time to your will (and still end up with the cluster**** that is the universe) humans would be roughly at that level.

Jeremiah

What would you think of an apple that beats an orange?

Come on now... you can't expect this weak example to give credence to your "paradox" argument.... what if the women does NOT physically have the power to stop the act... does the act then become morally ok?

Your example should be able to prove that love alone can destroy evil..... or that suffering can be stopped by mere love alone... otherwise God's being all-powerful is not relevant.

Sorry Scott1 this is not my "paradox argument"

How is God being all-powerful irrelevant? You act of if God himself can not stop the suffering, or that he did not create a world where suffering exist. How is God not responsible for the evil the exist in man he was the one that put it there. All- powerful means he can do anything. Why does evil exist? Free will? Than God is not all-powerful; an all-powerful God could give us free will without evil. Maybe he is not all-powerful but loves us and is unable to stop our suffering. Or maybe he is not a loving god and does not care that we so commonly wield this gift of evil he has given us.

Jeremiah

Well, if you were an omnipotent being who could bend space and time to your will (and still end up with the cluster**** that is the universe) humans would be roughly at that level.

In this theory God loves mankind. This is the paradox.

Scott1

How is God being all-powerful irrelevant? You act of if God himself can not stop the suffering, or that he did not create a world where suffering exist.

Ok... for the record: I believe God created this world and that suffering and evil exist.
How is God not responsible for the evil the exist in man he was the one that put it there. All- powerful means he can do anything. Why does evil exist? Free will? Than God is not all-powerful; an all-powerful God could give us free will without evil.
Maybe he is not all-powerful but loves us and is unable to stop our suffering. Or maybe he is not a loving god and does not care that we so commonly wield this gift of evil he has given us.
I guess I just see things differently.... you seem to think that any amount of evil and suffering in this mortal world mean that Gods' power is "limited" or that His will to free us from suffering is absent.... I disagree. The fact that God has loved us so much he came down from heaven and died a horrible death on the Cross --- the fact that he loves me for who I am and has adopted me into Himself is "justice" for any amount of suffering and evil in this world.

Any suffering or evil in this world is insignificant compared to a lifetime of perfect joy in heaven with my Father.... the only paradox would be suffering and evil in a world where I must earn my salvation... since this is not the case and God's grace reached into my heart and loved me first, I don't see God "owing" me anything more....There is not a single aspect of the Christian message that is not in part an answer to the question of evil.

For almighty God. . ., because he is supremely good, would never allow any evil whatsoever to exist in his works if he were not so all-powerful and good as to cause good to emerge from evil itself.
Saint Augustine

Hope that helps you at least understand my thoughts on this... thanks for the chat.
S