• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Saint Paul might have had an unhealthy soul

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
As far as I know, Peter quarrelled with Paul. And it turns out they even fought, according to scholars' interpretation.
Nope. What he did was to approach Peter with a question about the Law [Jewish} and whether it should apply to those in the Way who were not Jewish. Peter eventually did take Paul's position that circumcision was not necessary. At least this is what's written, and it's likely to be true because Peter and the 1st century Church did adopt Paul's position.

Paul was quite literally and reasonably well educated, whereas we cannot necessarily say that with the Apostles in general, although it's possible that James could be an exception.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Nope. What he did was to approach Peter with a question about the Law [Jewish} and whether it should apply to those in the Way who were not Jewish. Peter eventually did take Paul's position that circumcision was not necessary. At least this is what's written, and it's likely to be true because Peter and the 1st century Church did adopt Paul's position.

Paul was quite literally and reasonably well educated, whereas we cannot necessarily say that with the Apostles in general, although it's possible that James could be an exception.

Honestly, I blame Paul for inventing a very negative vision of Christianity, where sex and pleasure are considered bad things.
Which is not true.
Jesus Christ does want Christians to enjoy love and sex, obviously in a context of commitment and loyalty.

Christianity is not about those things, Paul was obsessed with. It's about social justice.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
One thing I cannot stand is the modern trend to try to psychoanalyse and pathologise historical figures based on spurious guesswork and the ridiculous assumption that ancient people thought in pretty much the same way as modern people.

It's just a narrative fallacy.
Well, unless it was common in Paul's time to be a self obsessed megalomaniac, I'd say it's inbounds to speculate on the relative state of his mental health.

metis

Honestly, I blame Paul for inventing a very negative vision of Christianity, where sex and pleasure are considered bad things.
Which is not true.
Jesus Christ does want Christians to enjoy love and sex, obviously in a context of commitment and loyalty.

Christianity is not about those things, Paul was obsessed with. It's about social justice.
I know that's a common view with many, and I'm not going to argue against that, but my point is that the Apostles and the early Church in general did accept him-- for better or for worse.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I know that's a common view with many, and I'm not going to argue against that, but my point is that the Apostles and the early Church in general did accept him-- for better or for worse.
Considering Paul is to blame for this version of Christianity...no...it's not forgivable...

metis

Considering Paul is to blame for this version of Christianity...no...it's not forgivable...

Open-mindedness within a religion and between religions is very much a more modern phenomenon, and even today not everyone is on board with it. What that movie segment symbolizes is deplorable, imo, but if you go back years ago, it was the norm, and it still is with a great many people.

Thanks for the segment, and my wife watched it with me, btw.