• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Predudices are so dangerous?

Shad

Veteran Member
I wrote:

You should see that your posts make assumptions that are not contained in my posts, you are arguing with yourself.

Wrong as I was talking about Conservatism being tossed in when there are plenty of Liberals giving into fearmongering and their own prejudices as I said in the other post.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Wrong as I was talking about Conservatism being tossed in when there are plenty of Liberals giving into fearmongering and their own prejudices as I said in the other post.
Classic error, seeing the world as full of binary switches rather than continuums.

Shad

Veteran Member
I smeared conservatism? Nah ... learn to read, please.

"Prejudice is often part and parcel of a suite of attributes: Conservatism, Fear Based Thinking, and other processes mediated by the amygdala."

Try again. There are many types of conservatism not merely the rabid Evangelical Republican type. Fiscal conservatism for example.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
I just stated a fact that is well supported by experimental data. If you don't like that ... sorry, you are not entitled to your own facts (a desire I find common in extremists of all ilks). I recommend that you spend some time going over the available literature.

siti

This I see is a wrong conclusion, as I see nobody has to accept what Baha'u'llah offered, or what God has ever offered through and other Messenger. All are free to follow what they find. I hold no predudice to any other persons choices.
So you say - and yet in another thread you very recently rather disparagingly referred to Christian tradition as "doctrine" made by Christianity, whilst as a Baha'i, you believe, you have God's unadulterated word. I still can't see how that is not prejudiced.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So you say - and yet in another thread you very recently rather disparagingly referred to Christian tradition as "doctrine" made by Christianity, whilst as a Baha'i, you believe, you have God's unadulterated word. I still can't see how that is not prejudiced.

Prejudice is a "preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience."

Actual experience shows the fallacy of doctrine and the ability these doctrines have to divide a strong faith in Christ. Baha'u'llah has explained the reasons behind them and why this is so.

The opinion I hold is based on these two firm foundations of reasoning. I have no preconceived explanation about doctrine prior to forming an opinion based on sound reasoning.

I have a relative, that some time ago was saying how false Christianity and the Bible was. I asked had they read the Bible and had they tried to understand Christianity. They gave a strong no way. Thus, that is a predudice not built upon any reasoning.

Regards Tony

siti

Prejudice is a "preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience."
So I ask you again, how did you reason your way to a belief in the existence of one monotheistic supernatural deity - or have you met such a deity personally? And this time, you are not allowed to say you believe it because Baha'u'llah says so - that's neither sound reasoning nor actual experience - it is, at best, a second hand, hearsay account - and a prejudiced one itself at that - given that Baha'u'llah was exposed to messianic religious ideas for years before deciding he was himself a messiah - in a dark prison cell with no-one else around to verify the experience.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So I ask you again, how did you reason your way to a belief in the existence of one monotheistic supernatural deity - or have you met such a deity personally? And this time, you are not allowed to say you believe it because Baha'u'llah says so - that's neither sound reasoning nor actual experience - it is, at best, a second hand, hearsay account - and a prejudiced one itself at that - given that Baha'u'llah was exposed to messianic religious ideas for years before deciding he was himself a messiah - in a dark prison cell with no-one else around to verify the experience.

Your answer has aready told me what you want to hear.

You may not be aware that Baha'u'llah was chained to at least 30 other Babi in the Síyáh-Chál when he received that revelation; “During the days I lay in the prison of Ṭihrán, though the galling weight of the chains and the stench-filled air allowed Me but little sleep, still in those infrequent moments of slumber I felt as if something flowed from the crown of My head over My breast, even as a mighty torrent that precipitateth itself upon the earth from the summit of a lofty mountain. Every limb of My body would, as a result, be set afire. At such moments My tongue recited what no man could bear to hear.”

That was 1853.

Thus those there would have known. Also each day the guards would come in and choose their next victim from the Babi and Baha'u'llah would speak to them and send them on to their Martydom, all of them in utmost joy.

Regards Tony

siti

Thus those there would have known. Also each day the guards would come in and choose their next victim from the Babi and Baha'u'llah would speak to them and send them on to their Martydom, all of them in utmost joy.
Well I don't suppose we can ask them then can we? So your "reason and actual experience" boils down to your personal choice to believe the translations of the uncorroborated words of Baha'u'llah that are available to you. I'm not sure that counts as unprejudiced evidence.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well I don't suppose we can ask them then can we? So your "reason and actual experience" boils down to your personal choice to believe the translations of the uncorroborated words of Baha'u'llah that are available to you. I'm not sure that counts as unprejudiced evidence.

Many recorded their story or told others that passed in on and they recorded it.

This is really only recent history and thus mostly verified. I await for Iran to open up. I see a flood of information becoming available.

How much evidence is needed? ;) it did not take long for the Oneness of God and the Oneness of humainity to resonate within all my being.

See the protests in Germany,see some of the banners call for the fall of Nationalism. Funny how God works His Works, all the while we do not see it unfold on the grander scale.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Many recorded their story or told others that passed in on and they recorded it.

This is really only recent history and thus mostly verified. I await for Iran to open up. I see a flood of information becoming available.

How much evidence is needed? ;) it did not take long for the Oneness of God and the Oneness of humainity to resonate within all my being.

See the protests in Germany, see some of the banners call for the fall of Nationalism. Funny how God works His Works, all the while we do not see it unfold on the grander scale.

Regards Tony

This is really the greatest proof we now have available. They are the teachings of Baha'u'llah. Baha'u'llah said that when God gives the New Message, then all of creation is made new. To me that means that all the new teachings permeate creation and our very being becomes made in this likeness.

So as time unfolds, if we do not embrace the Message early, as we are still clouded with old world order issues, we will not see all those attributes and principles unfold until they reach a critical point.

Thus one can go through the writings of Baha'u'llah and make a list of what are the teachings and principals for this age. We can then compare them against what the mind of man is producing and thinking about in this age.

Personally every time I now watch TV, I see and issue happening for the good, which is a core teaching of Baha'u'llah, or a see an issue of conflict that is yet to be adressed as Baha'u'llah said it needed to be.

Thus my reason and actual experiences are confirmed every day by what I see happening in the world and by what Baha'u'llah offered the world needs to consider. There is no dissapointment, it is amazing to say the least.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Very little (if any) in some cases it seems. But if one doesn't need evidence, then how is one's view not
???!!!

I see a great deal of evidence. A good deal comes from our spiritual awareness, which is up to each person to develop.

Regards Tony.

siti

Personally every time I now watch TV, I see and issue happening for the good, which is a core teaching of Baha'u'llah, or a see an issue of conflict that is yet to be adressed as Baha'u'llah said it needed to be.

Thus my reason and actual experiences are confirmed every day by what I see happening in the world and by what Baha'u'llah offered the world needs to consider. There is no dissapointment, it is amazing to say the least.
Except that the real world is not nearly so black and white - is it? I used to think the same thing - that the newspapers and TV news confirmed the reality of 2 Timothy 3:1-5 (for example) - but with a bit more maturity one realizes that, in a sense, it is always "the last days" - there is only so much change one can handle in a lifetime and it always seems that the world is going down the pan - except it isn't - at least not from a socio-cultural point of view - its just changing to suit the evolving needs a younger generation of humans who are now grasping the reins of control and taking up the baton of responsibility...neither Baha'u'llah nor the Bible said anything about the changing world that hadn't already been said by the sages of a thousand generations before them...and will continue to be said by a thousand after them - unless we render ourselves extinct in the process - which I suspect is the most real and present danger to human society - but I don't believe Baha'u'llah expounded much on issues of environmental degradation and global warming - did he?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If it is a matter of each person's "spiritual awareness" - how is that not prejudiced?

That is your choice :)

My thoughts would be that predudice is eliminated by what is spirituality. But in another way one gains a healthy outlook, that some may see as predudice, as to what is life.

Regards Tony