• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why pray?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
In Ásatrú the Gods and Goddesses are our kin, albeit older, wiser and greater. We talk to our human relatives and ask them for help, compliment them, and complain to them so why not do the same with our divine relatives?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Why pray? More specifically, why engage in supplication (or petitioning)?

Prayer is a silent or community form of giving reverence, talking with, or communing with someone or something. A person can pray to a toaster while another Zeus.

I pray to my grandmothers and ancestors. I communicate with them so I get to know about them, listen to them in different ways they communicate wit me--blessings I receive from everyday life, warnings (big ones) and such. I pray because the communication keeps me centered. It's somewhat meditative; but, unlike meditation (the siting still, no thoughts kind), you are literally engaging in interaction.

As one replier said, prayer feels good. It's desplaying an outer expression for inner devotion, reverence, submission, and/or otherwise.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I believe earnest prayer reaches the 'ears' of higher beings and they can assist the devotee if the conditions (many beyond our earthly sight) are right. The best prayers are for internal strength and guidance and not material affairs. Though, I can't say I'm one to practice prayer myself.

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
I'm not sure quite how to express this, but with supplication, I think at times it is something which is almost constitutive of being human. It's not the fruit of some considered rational process. There is not an expectation of an exact request being filled. There is an experience of contingency and precariousness and an existential crying out to the "Other". That is certainly not all prayer, but it's something that to me is very human

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The Gods/Goddesses are my mentors and friends. It's good to keep in touch, ask for assistance, ***** at them or about my problems, give thanks, etc. I don't pray much, though.

Gambit

No, not really. I don't think one little statement like the one I made can possibly give that impression of my view of God.

Well, you gave me the impression that you talk to God just like you were talking to your best friend.

Gambit

In Ásatrú the Gods and Goddesses are our kin, albeit older, wiser and greater. We talk to our human relatives and ask them for help, compliment them, and complain to them so why not do the same with our divine relatives?

That makes sense in a polytheistic system.

Gambit

I'm not sure quite how to express this, but with supplication, I think at times it is something which is almost constitutive of being human. It's not the fruit of some considered rational process. There is not an expectation of an exact request being filled. There is an experience of contingency and precariousness and an existential crying out to the "Other". That is certainly not all prayer, but it's something that to me is very human

I'll be blunt. To petition God seems to me to indicate a lack of faith.