• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Polytheism?

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
By worshiping multiple deities, I grow in the image and Nature of each of them. My mind, body and spirit comes to reflect their most prominent attributes. I come to understand, experience, and embrace far many more sides of my own human Nature by exploring the power of multiple deific archetypes.

VioletVortex

Nature hasn't picked a side in any kind of dichotomy. There are various elements, or forces, of nature that work with, against, and independent of each other to culminate into one unpredictable concept; nature. The gods and spirits correspond with certain related, parts of nature, such as gravity, storms, the sun, the moon, seasons, etc.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
I understand monotheism as a huge movement to worship only one god, which seemed to originate several millenia ago in an effort to end polythiesm and pantheism. But pantheism went into royal families and what not as well...

It wasn't really that YHWH was the only God and all, he was jealous, qoute on quote, and wanted to be the only god worshipped, kind of like if Zeus wanted to be the only deity worshipped not Ares or Athena.

In particular I see the Norse/Germanic pantheon as should be "monotheist" in the sense Tor or Baldur, particularly Baldur, should be worshiped alone, not the other deities.

My UPG's are pretty crazy... I do not want to start an argument... I thought this was crazy... Like St.Michael was formerly an infamous Viking and also part of the Germanic royal family, which was also the Aesir, like Caesar, very close to Odin, or God, and also a Vanir, possibly Freyr, and later a Mercenary, ended up in the middle East.. So it's a lot of complete heresy, I and not ready to be ostracized or murdered.

But one God is jealous and wants to be worshipped alone by a relatively small body of people, and inconceivable amount of killing inseus, it's sickening... That YHWH or EL or whomever may be been a flesh and blood King or General, not some cosmic space wizard...

Back when royalty were Gods, not something they cover in most history lessons.

And the blue eyed blond haired "Viking" or "Nord" people are the Vanir, I guess. Not stereo-typing.

Last edited:

VioletVortex

I understand monotheism as a huge movement to worship only one god, which seemed to originate several millenia ago in an effort to end polythiesm and pantheism. But pantheism went into royal families and what not as well...

It wasn't really that YHWH was the only God and all, he was jealous, qoute on quote, and wanted to be the only god worshipped, kind of like if Zeus wanted to be the only deity worshipped not Ares or Athena.

In particular I see the Norse/Germanic pantheon as should be "monotheist" in the sense Tor or Baldur, particularly Baldur, should be worshiped alone, not the other deities.

My UPG's are pretty crazy... I do not want to start an argument... I thought this was crazy... Like St.Michael was formerly an infamous Viking and also part of the Germanic royal family, which was also the Aesir, like Caesar, very close to Odin, or God, and also a Vanir, possibly Freyr, and later a Mercenary, ended up in the middle East.. So it's a lot of complete heresy, I and not ready to be ostracized or murdered.

But one God is jealous and wants to be worshipped alone by a relatively small body of people, and inconceivable amount of killing inseus, it's sickening... That YHWH or EL or whomever may be been a flesh and blood King or General, not some cosmic space wizard...

Back when royalty were Gods, not something they cover in most history lessons.

And the blue eyed blond haired "Viking" or "Nord" people are the Vanir, I guess. Not stereo-typing.

There is no dogma that states which deities one should worship in Heathen Paganism. Most Heathens view Odin as the main god, and then worship other gods such as Thor and Baldr.

Others worship only Odin, but still praise most of the other gods.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
There is no dogma that states which deities one should worship in Heathen Paganism. Most Heathens view Odin as the main god, and then worship other gods such as Thor and Baldr.

Others worship only Odin, but still praise most of the other gods.

People get all testy about it. I find myself behooved to worship Baldor above all the other Gods, you know that whole story in the Edda, nobody gave a damn.

"Polytheism is a counterbalance to materialism.
I disagree. Polytheistic beliefs are indulged in material possessions. Its just as bad as paganism. When they say "You are your own God". True spirituality is indulged in spiritual growth, development, connection to God and theological enhanced insight. This is what makes the multiple Gods theories false. How would you pray to one of the many Gods. What about connecting to each one of them. What about connecting to one but not another, because they would all be separate beings. What about their connections to each other. So many unanswered non-logical questions to the polytheism theories.