• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why NOT Religion

Maximilian

Energetic proclaimer of Jehovah God's Kingdom.
Oh I do. I just don't believe our morality originally stems from religions - predating them by some time. They encode what was existing previously and erroneously tied this to belief in some stick-wielding god perhaps to give such morality more authority. Which was a big mistake, since we have what we have now. Lots of different religions all claiming to be The Truth and backed up by a load of nonsense invented for the purpose.

I have no objection to any belief in God or gods, and would want a society where all such beliefs were freely allowed and tolerated without condemnation (as long as they didn't infringe the freedoms of others) - many countries seem to not think so though. What I object to - and which is why I am against the religions supposedly coming from a divine source - is their claiming of the moral high ground - instead of admitting that our morals actually predate religions. If we separated moral behaviour from belief in God or gods - a morality that we should be able to consensually arrive at - then we might find a more peaceful existence for us all. A pipedream I know - since the mistakes we made long ago, and still are making, will probably be our downfall.

And what happens when that innate moral sense gets mangled beyond all recognition?

Maximilian

Energetic proclaimer of Jehovah God's Kingdom.
You believe that I misrepresented Christians. I'm unaware of any case where I've done so in this thread. I have a suspicion I know what is going on here - a "no true scotsman" on your part - but don't expect me to get on that logical fallacy bandwagon.

And with the code of conduct he supplied his loyal ones, Christ drew a bright line and then announced that absolutely everyone on the other side is not a Christian.

So wholly devoted to this code would these be that all non-Christian world-views/conduct would be effortlessly recognized. (Malachi 3:18 cf. Titus 1:16)

These preach the gospel, and if necessary, use words.

Meaning that, just as we are able to distinguish genuine legal tender apart from Monopoly money, any sincere person can make a distinction between a Christian and an Anti-Christian (Satanist).

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
No one likes to be faced with their limitations so you're reticence to accept the facts of your ASD is perfectly understandable.

Are you a professional in mental health care or research? If not I would get off this bandwagon since it is only making you look rather foolish - and objectionable. I repeat - I am not on such a spectrum. And I also repeat - carry on - you are doing a grand job for the JW-World - like many other JW proselytisers here.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
And what happens when that innate moral sense gets mangled beyond all recognition?

I don't know. Perhaps it will get mixed with all the morals emanating from all the existing religious beliefs that are also often conflicting. Perhaps the one that tends to be adopted most will be proclaimed winner. And with JWs being such a low number compared with most other religions, and the non-religious fortunately, it hardly concerns me.