• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why not God AND Science?

Hi all! I'm new here and I just wanted to know if most of you think that it's either God or science that has the most truth? I personally believe that true science proves God not disproves God. What do you think?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Songofmorning said:
Hi all! I'm new here and I just wanted to know if most of you think that it's either God or science that has the most truth? I personally believe that true science proves God not disproves God. What do you think?
How does science prove God? It's my understanding that science "proves" nothing, but only provides evidence for a thing. How do you reconcile that with your notion that science "proves" God?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
gnosis_777 said:
Maybe God was a way to explain things we can now through science... crazy thought
It's not a crazy thought at all. For a while now, I have been trying to put forward the theory that "supernatural" is really only "natural", but at a time when our science wasn't up to understanding what then had to be called supernatural.

Take a native villager in some deep forrest, who has never met anyone from the outside world, who sees a helicopter; I think he might fall on his knees and start worshiping it.:D

I think it is quite logically possible.

WeAreAllOne

If anything I think Quantum Physics closest to proveing the exsistance of some higher order.
I would assume any science would have an all but impossable job of proving one over another though.

ladylazarus

Science is compatible with religion because if one follows the findings of the scientific method, he cannot have beliefs (I myself am in that school of thought). Religion consists of beliefs, and therefore one could say "I know that scientific evidence suggests that my religious beliefs have a low probablility of being correct, but I still believe them," and still be perfectly logically consistent.

However, science certainly does not prove God. The findings of science strongly suggest that god does not exist.

If anything I think Quantum Physics closest to proveing the exsistance of some higher order.

Then you have a pretty poor understanding of Quantum Physics.

robtex

Veteran Member
Songofmorning said:
Can you give some examples

Not to backpeddle or anything but I see what you all are saying about science proving God. God needs no proof what I was trying to say was that science especially biology and the sort of things that science tries to explain show that there is an Intelligence which I know to be God running this universe.

Take for example, the replication of DNA. It is a very complicated process that even scientists liken to the working of a machine. Do machines just assemble themselves or are they made by someone who is more intelligent than they are? Or take for example the making of ATP. This is actually done by a protein that is shaped like a machine. Scientists call it the proton pump.

What I'm getting at is that no one will look at an air plane flying in the sky and say "wow! That plane must have just assembled itself." Life and the universe is infinitely more complex than any air plane could ever be and some people continue to think that it all just happened.

cardero

Citizen Mod
The only thing that religion and science share is faith. Someday I would like to be alive to see them both hold the Truth, this Truth will eventually lead to one source.

robtex

Veteran Member
Songofmorning said:
What I'm getting at is that no one will look at an air plane flying in the sky and say "wow! That plane must have just assembled itself." Life and the universe is infinitely more complex than any air plane could ever be and some people continue to think that it all just happened.
We know man made the plane by the evidence of manufacturing plants filled with workers making planes. Where is God's manufacting plant showing him showing him making componets of the universe? Have you or anyone else observed God making the universe or maintaining it and if so what does God look like and where?

ladylazarus

Songofmorning said:

This is a pretty common misconception, but it's still just that. The entire goal of science is understanding this complexity, and how it arose through natural forces. Life is infintely more complex than any airplane -- that's precisely why it takes the power of natural forces to make it the way it is. It is a logical fallacy to assume that it requires an intelligence to create these things.

Also, it is a logical fallacy to assume that anything that exists was created. If everything requires a creator, what created the creator? And so on infinitely.

Saying "the universe is too complex to be the way it is" is just like saying "the way things are can't be the way things are, because I say so."

Hi Ladylazarus! I understand your arguments but where is your proof that the power of natural forces creates life? Where is your proof that natural forces have power at all? Where is your proof that natural forces even exist? And what exactly are natural forces? One might argue that humans are stronger than these natural forces since we have so much control over the planet. We are even changing it's climate with global warming and the like. So I think that it is also a logical fallacy for you to state that natural forces shaped life just because you say so.I am not assuming that everything that exists needs a creator. I have examined how complex life is and how complexity in itself in the evidence for intelligent design.

Robtex, Lol! (I hope you don't think I'm being rude I just thought it was a little funny) I did have a laugh but seriously just because a peson has yet to witness certain things that doesn't mean that there is no proof that these things do not exist. For example, people of times past didn't believe in the atom and yet they were wrong. Don't you think that it is arrogant to state that just because you or anyone else hasn't seen something that it doesn't exist? How do you that you have a brain or a heart or a liver? You have never seen them or touched them or anything else but we all know that you have a brain, and heart, and liver. Why? Because your body is in working condition and you are intelligent enough to post replies on this forum. The same is true of this planet and the universe. There is order: The sun rises everyday. Your DNA replicates without losing vital genetic information, etc. I hope that you understand where I'm coming from.

robtex

Veteran Member
Songofmorning said:
Songofmorning:

I didn't say God didn't exist. There is however, no evidene of God's existance. I showed you how to evidence the manufacting of planes. You said in your opening post that science proves God. How so?

gnomon

Songofmorning said:
Hi Ladylazarus! I understand your arguments but where is your proof that the power of natural forces creates life? Where is your proof that natural forces have power at all? Where is your proof that natural forces even exist? And what exactly are natural forces? One might argue that humans are stronger than these natural forces since we have so much control over the planet. We are even changing it's climate with global warming and the like. So I think that it is also a logical fallacy for you to state that natural forces shaped life just because you say so.I am not assuming that everything that exists needs a creator. I have examined how complex life is and how complexity in itself in the evidence for intelligent design.

Robtex, Lol! (I hope you don't think I'm being rude I just thought it was a little funny) I did have a laugh but seriously just because a peson has yet to witness certain things that doesn't mean that there is no proof that these things do not exist. For example, people of times past didn't believe in the atom and yet they were wrong. Don't you think that it is arrogant to state that just because you or anyone else hasn't seen something that it doesn't exist? How do you that you have a brain or a heart or a liver? You have never seen them or touched them or anything else but we all know that you have a brain, and heart, and liver. Why? Because your body is in working condition and you are intelligent enough to post replies on this forum. The same is true of this planet and the universe. There is order: The sun rises everyday. Your DNA replicates without losing vital genetic information, etc. I hope that you understand where I'm coming from.
I never saw a kidney stone. I felt it though. A scan of my body even revealed its size and location. Shared observations with others who had these things verified the experience of near crippling pain to be common with kidney stones. Why this example? Because everything about the experience validates the ability of human reason to cope with something I neither observed with the common senses (pain is a sense though!) nor conceived of its existence in my mind prior to experiencing the pain.

Just because I may experience that I have never seen or felt before does not make it rational to assume supernatural forces for the experience to make sense.

ladylazarus

Songofmorning said:
Hi Ladylazarus! I understand your arguments but where is your proof that the power of natural forces creates life?

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CB/CB010_2.html

Where is your proof that natural forces have power at all? Where is your proof that natural forces even exist?

...I don't even know how to respond to this. Are you suggesting that there is no proof that gravity has power? That earthquakes never happen and stars never exlode? That there are no tides and that lightning never strikes? That magnets don't cling together and that friction doesn't cause heat? That your arms don't go out from your body when you spin?

And what exactly are natural forces?

Well there's the problem. You don't know what you're talking about. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force

One might argue that humans are stronger than these natural forces since we have so much control over the planet. We are even changing it's climate with global warming and the like.

Again, you simply don't understand what I'm talking about. Humans do not even come close to having control over the forces of nature. Just because we can change things doesn't mean that we have power over them. Ask all the people buried under earthquake rubble in Pakistan, or the people trapped in ash at Pompeii if they think we're stronger than the forces of nature.

How old are you? Have you ever even taken a highschool physics class?

So I think that it is also a logical fallacy for you to state that natural forces shaped life just because you say so.

Then you don't know what a logical fallacy is.

I am not assuming that everything that exists needs a creator.

Yes you are.

I have examined how complex life is and how complexity in itself in the evidence for intelligent design.

No it isn't. Complexity is not evidence of anything other than the fact that humans are insignificant and have only a pitiful understanding of the universe.

Leiam

Songofmorning said:
The discovery of the laws of nature by men of science does rather affirm the guiding spirit of some Infinate being than otherwise.

flupke

cardero said:
The only thing that religion and science share is faith. Someday I would like to be alive to see them both hold the Truth, this Truth will eventually lead to one source.

A true scientist has no 'faith' in science. On the contrary, a true scientist realizes that science is all about reduction of observations in laws and theories. A true scientist realizes that, as more data are being available, formerly postulated laws may have to be revised, and an updated and more powerful theory can be postulated. But creationists seem to miss this point.

Master Vigil

I tend to see science and religion as two different sports. Sure, they are both good exercise, build discipline, and are quite fun. But to say that playing football makes you a better sailor, is pretty falacious logically. Science is not here for moral and spiritual growth. And religion is not here for understanding the natural workings of the universe, or as a history book.

I would also like to say that if religion and science were to embark on the same goal, they would both cease to exist as religion, and as science. And become pretty much the same thing. Perhaps, enlightenment?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
flupke said:
A true scientist has no 'faith' in science. On the contrary, a true scientist realizes that science is all about reduction of observations in laws and theories. A true scientist realizes that, as more data are being available, formerly postulated laws may have to be revised, and an updated and more powerful theory can be postulated. But creationists seem to miss this point.
Hi flupke,

As I notice that this is your first visit here, I thought I would take the opportunity to welcome you to Religious Forums;

I hope that you would feel able to introduce yourself to the other members of the forum, by posting on:- Are you new to ReligiousForums.com?

Please feel free to ask questions, if you have any. You might like to check out our article with links for our newer members; from there, there is also a link to the forum rules which you ought to look at.

I hope you will enjoy being a member here. ;)