• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is suicide considered so abhorrent by the Abrahamic faiths?

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Ask a youtube video. Its not like you would believe me or anyone else on this forum :rolleyes:
why they did not believe you ?
we lose the trust only in the lairs , i don't remember that you lie to me before !!!
anyway, sorry for asking you .

Marble

Rolling Marble
All the Abrahamic faiths connotate suicide with negativity: it will get you sent straight to hell in both Christianity and Islam, though I'm not completely sure about Judaism. My question is: why? Your life should be yours to do what you please with it. Why are things like smoking and drinking allowed if they are simply extended suicide? What about self-immolation for a noble cause?
I agree with you, but those faith systems view life a a gift from God and to end it by yourself means that you throw away this gift.
Acctually drinking wine can be healthy, (if you don't comsume too much).

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
You are mistaken. Not for Catholic priests, it's certainly not. Child molestation is regarded as horrible and sinful by the Roman Catholic Church which does not believe "being saved" as that is understood in some Protestant sects guarantees a person heaven.
Then why did the Catholic Church shuffle their pedophile priests around for more than 100 years providing them with fresh victims?
Seems to me that the ACTIONS of the Catholic Church tell a much different story.

McBell

I have been a Christian all my life, and a Catholic for part of that time, and the idea that a person automatically goes to hell for committing suicide has pretty much fallen out of favor now that we know more about mental illness.

That being said, and regardless of religious views, suicide is an incredibly selfish and short sighted act in many cases. I think of my uncle, who shot his head off in the bathroom while his kids stood thirty feet away at the bus stop and his wife screamed and beat on the bathroom door begging him not to do this. He scarred that family for life. Did he mean to do that? I don't know, but surely in those last moments he had to realize what he was about to do to his family - and it didn't matter.

Suicide is always tragic, and it nearly always leaves a trail of victims behind it, long after the one who died is dead and buried.
Suicide is much likened to adultery.

People concentrate on the attempted killing and forget to address the reasons for it.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Suicide is much likened to adultery.

People concentrate on the attempted killing and forget to address the reasons for it.

Oh, my family has agonized for decades over why my uncle did such a horrible thing to himself and his family.

I do not believe his wife and kids did anything so severe that they should be haunted by this event for the rest of their lives.

I believe that he suffered from serious clinical depression, and his family had tried for years to convince him he needed help.

He was "in his right mind" enough to go to work every day and be responsible otherwise.

Look, I'm not throwing him under the bus - His life's ending is very sad, and only God knows the destination of his soul. I'm just saying that surely he knew, as his wife pleaded with him not to do it, that he was about to hurt her so deeply she may never recover.

My point is for those who may consider suicide as a viable option. Please consider your loved ones and what you are about to do to them - don't just think about yourself. That may be part of your problem to begin with. Just sayin'.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
All the Abrahamic faiths connotate suicide with negativity: it will get you sent straight to hell in both Christianity and Islam, though I'm not completely sure about Judaism. My question is: why? Your life should be yours to do what you please with it. Why are things like smoking and drinking allowed if they are simply extended suicide? What about self-immolation for a noble cause?

btw , is the suicide forbiden or allow in judiasm ?

It depends on the circumstance in Judaism.

Typically, it's frowned upon. All life is seen as special, and suicide is a terrible event.
All religious laws are suspended if it will save a life, and most of what I've read state that those who do commit suicide are seen as being temporally insane at the time.

But there are times, such as when one is being forced to commit a horrendous act or religious betrayal, when it is seen as a viable alternative.

Like many other things, it's an issue of balance.

Jewish views on suicide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Suicide in Jewish Tradition and Literature - My Jewish Learning
BBC - Religions - Judaism: Euthanasia and suicide

McBell

Not all suicides are seen as bad.
Giving up your life to save another, although it is suicide is considered by loads of people to be the greatest thing a person can do.

junior103

Oh, my family has agonized for decades over why my uncle did such a horrible thing to himself and his family.

I do not believe his wife and kids did anything so severe that they should be haunted by this event for the rest of their lives.

I believe that he suffered from serious clinical depression, and his family had tried for years to convince him he needed help.

He was "in his right mind" enough to go to work every day and be responsible otherwise.

Look, I'm not throwing him under the bus - His life's ending is very sad, and only God knows the destination of his soul. I'm just saying that surely he knew, as his wife pleaded with him not to do it, that he was about to hurt her so deeply she may never recover.

My point is for those who may consider suicide as a viable option. Please consider your loved ones and what you are about to do to them - don't just think about yourself. That may be part of your problem to begin with. Just sayin'.
Would that it were so simple.
I had a grandson who took his own life.
The only reason I'm still alive is because I couldn't bear to hurt my loved ones like that, so I continue to suffer my pain.
It is never simple, or easy.

idea

Question Everything
here's what LDS.org states about it:
Suicide

Although it is wrong to take one's own life, a person who commits suicide may not be responsible for his or her acts. Only God can judge such a matter. Elder M. Russell Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles has said:
“Obviously, we do not know the full circumstances surrounding every suicide. Only the Lord knows all the details, and he it is who will judge our actions here on earth.
”When he does judge us, I feel he will take all things into consideration: our genetic and chemical makeup, our mental state, our intellectual capacity, the teachings we have received, the traditions of our fathers, our health, and so forth“ (”Suicide: Some Things We Know, and Some We Do Not,“ Ensign, Oct. 1987, 8).

junior103

Well I'm impressed by that. A man says that in his opinion god will understand. Can't get much better.
Will god take into consideration that he made us?

idea

Question Everything
Will god take into consideration that he made us?

we believe God is cleaning up a mess He did not make...

ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
(New Testament | Romans 8:15)

that everything is eternal, with no beginning - those who want to be created/organized/transformed by God can allow themselves to be molded... that we become His creation through allowing ourselves to be molded, but we do not start out as His creation...

old thread: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/evolution-vs-creationism/87669-god-did-not-create-anything.html
have to run, time for our next GC session! http://www.lds.org/general-conference/watch?lang=eng

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Hold on. let me understand something. everyone outside of the Abrahamic scope do not consider suicide to be abhorrent?
also as a side note on the rationale of 'doing what we please', our lives are ours only to a certain extent. we are bound by civil law and social norms. we can certainly not do what ever we please.

junior103

Hold on. let me understand something. everyone outside of the Abrahamic scope do not consider suicide to be abhorrent?
also as a side note on the rationale of 'doing what we please', our lives are ours only to a certain extent. we are bound by civil law and social norms. we can certainly not do what ever we please.
Of course we can do whatever we please, we don't, for any number of reasons. But we can.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Would that it were so simple.
I had a grandson who took his own life.
The only reason I'm still alive is because I couldn't bear to hurt my loved ones like that, so I continue to suffer my pain.
It is never simple, or easy.

I applaud you for having the character to realize that you would hurt others deeply by your actions if you chose suicide.

I wish my uncle had had such presence of mind and such regard for his loved ones.

Flankerl

I also fail to see the big problem.

If the person in question wants to kill him/herself then this person will succeed. If the person succeeds its the end of the story. This person doesnt care anymore because he/she is dead.

Fin