• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Satan bad?

look3467

Premium Member
What you believe should matter more to God than what you do?>>>MoonWater
What one believes is what works one will do.
Belief, then if it is faith in God, then God will do the works in us.
If God does the works in us, then the works will be in line with His will.

God understands our every weakness, but that is not to say we can't try to live right.

Peace>>>AJ

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
No you have just repeated your earlier flase logic. According to what, is he omniscient omnipotent and the creator?:- The Bible, which according to every Christian is his word. So you are now saying that God is omniscient according to God's word. I'm sure that according to your word, you have a grasp of theology but that would be false. And all of this is aside from the problems of petitionary prayer and discourse that occurs within the Trinity.

Your second paragraph goes even further in revealing the gaping whole in your ideas. It rests on the assumption that God has created the universe which in turn rests on the Bible which is his word which takes us back to my original argument that you are incapable of countering.

I am unclear of your position. Do you believe that the Bible is the inspired work of some deity, but that deity is deceiving us with it? A central, core message of the Bible is teaching good ethical behavior, how to live our lives morally and how to love others. How is that deceptive?

I do not see the devil as a deity of self interest, I see the devil as a deity of wisdom and rationality. I'm afraid that you will have to embrace these concepts and do much better than this if you expect to persuade anybody.

So tell me what are the principles of this wisdom?

Ringer

Jar of Clay
Funny, I must've missed that part....

Well allow me to help you out...

30Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.'31The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'There is no commandment greater than these."

43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

8Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. 9The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet,"and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself."10Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

19We love because he first loved us. 20If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. 21And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.

The word "love" is used over 200 in the NT alone. Pretty hard theme to miss.

I am unclear of your position. Do you believe that the Bible is the inspired work of some deity, but that deity is deceiving us with it? A central, core message of the Bible is teaching good ethical behavior, how to live our lives morally and how to love others. How is that deceptive?

So tell me what are the principles of this wisdom?

The word 'love' is indeed used in the bible but it is also used in Mein Kampf, and there are passages in that book that are far from objectionable. Overall the message of the Bible is confused at best.

Yes I do believe that the Bible is a work of deception and 90% of what it states has proven to be incorrect (the creation et.c). The remaining 10% will followin time. To say that the bible teaches us how to live our lives morally is ridiculous when one considers some of the warped morality of the book.

Your final question reveals the central problem of your approach. As rational humans we should not be seeking a ten point plan to a moral life or a code or dictates laid down by a combination of divine inspiration and middle eastern fanaticism. We should challenge every assumption rather than be kept in awe by a tyrannical god.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Your complaint is like a pet dog's objection to not be able to eat off the table simply because his owner is allowed to.
So does this mean God is loving and throws us a fresh slice of meat to eat, table scraps, or a scornful look as he tells us to lay down?

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
The word 'love' is indeed used in the bible but it is also used in Mein Kampf, and there are passages in that book that are far from objectionable. Overall the message of the Bible is confused at best.Yes I do believe that the Bible is a work of deception and 90% of what it states has proven to be incorrect (the creation et.c). The remaining 10% will followin time. To say that the bible teaches us how to live our lives morally is ridiculous when one considers some of the warped morality of the book.

Your opinion is so far removed from my understanding of the Bible and that of thousands of Biblical scholars that I am left to conclude that you have a very delusional and scornful understanding of it.

Your final question reveals the central problem of your approach. As rational humans we should not be seeking a ten point plan to a moral life or a code or dictates laid down by a combination of divine inspiration and middle eastern fanaticism. We should challenge every assumption rather than be kept in awe by a tyrannical god.

If you think Christianity is a ten point plan then you clearly do not understand Christian morality.

Anyway you are evading the question. Give me some idea of what wisdom you have gained by worshiping Satan...

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
So does this mean God is loving and throws us a fresh slice of meat to eat, table scraps, or a scornful look as he tells us to lay down?

Do you consider a dog to be your equal? If you want a happy, healthy dog you have to make sure it understands you are the master.

Would you let animals live with you in your house if they did not consider you their master? The same is true of God, His relationship to us and His house.

Do you consider a dog to be your equal? If you want a happy, healthy dog you have to make sure it understands you are the master.

Would you let animals live with you in your house if they did not consider you their master? The same is true of God, His relationship to us and His house.

I have already explained to you in very clear terms the problem with this comparison.

Your opinion is so far removed from my understanding of the Bible and that of thousands of Biblical scholars that I am left to conclude that you have a very delusional and scornful understanding of it.

If you think Christianity is a ten point plan then you clearly do not understand Christian morality.

Anyway you are evading the question. Give me some idea of what wisdom you have gained by worshiping Satan...

I can assure you that i have a very clear understanding of the Bible and I can assure you that I am fully aware of the opinions of theologians on this matter. there are many highly imoral acts committed by God in the bible with God forcing the misery on the Egyptians as one very clear example which I defy you to refute.

I have never said that christianity is a ten point plan. What I am suggesting is that I don't need stone tablets to tell me that adultry is wrong. The wisdom I have gained from worshipping Satan stems from his encouragement to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. you should try it some time. :cool:

gnomon

Personally I'm wondering how much money I could make if I took the posts of this thread, had them printed on to rolls of soft tissue and marketed it as toilet paper. There may be some legal hurdles to overcome. I'll look into that.

Amend that. If this thread were printed on toilet paper it would render the paper absolutely useless.

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
I have already explained to you in very clear terms the problem with this comparison.

Sorry, I must have missed it. Can you point me to the post?

there are many highly imoral acts committed by God in the bible with God forcing the misery on the Egyptians as one very clear example which I defy you to refute.

So are you in the position that the Bible was true with regards to how the Egyptians are portrayed and God's role in their lives, or is that part of the deception?

The misery that the Egyptians was not immoral because it was according to the will of God. Many people live in misery, but without that misery we would have no appreciation for love. God has a much broader insight into the human story and why certain events need to happen for Him to be glorified.

The wisdom I have gained from worshipping Satan stems from his encouragement to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. you should try it some time. :cool:

Once again you have evaded the question. Your answer tells me nothing. What is this wisdom?

And what do you think of Mark 7:27?

I think it shows that God's grace goes to His chosen people first, and then to the gentiles. The demon in this story was expelled.

What is your opinion of demons? Are they servants of Satan, and if so should we not have them exercised?

I explain it here:

And where does this authroity come from? No where except the book that christians claim is the word of God. -So God derives his right to treat people like dogs from his own words? If that's how it works then perhaps I should tell the world in my own words that I am its creator and then demand worship. That would be no worse than the flimsy rationale that you are trying to espouse. - In other words your argument rests on the presupposition that God is the master and we are dogs. You have no basis on which to make that assumption.

As to the Egyptians you seem to ignore the problem that if it is the truth, then God is evil and if it is a lie then he is a lier. I believe that there is some truth in the bible but that it has been distorted. My question to you is simple: Do you believe that God is A. a lier or B. a tyrannt.

" The misery that the Egyptians was not immoral because it was according to the will of God." - Could you explain this please? (I mean I know you can't but I'd like you to try).

"...certain events need to happen for Him to be glorified." So he kills hundreds of thusands of people to glorify himself. You really are making a mess of this aren't you?

"Many people live in misery, but without that misery we would have no appreciation for love" So lets make sure that starvation in Africa continues so that we can then do charity work...

The wisdom is the millenia of science and philosophy that we have developed, much of which has been held back by the abrahamic god.

In Mark 7:27 Jesus needs to be persuaded to heal a gentile. If he is part of a trinity that forms a omniscient god, how can he be persuaded? And why should he need to be persuaded?

"What is your opinion of demons? Are they servants of Satan, and if so should we not have them exercised?" No I think demons would look out of place in a gymn. :rolleyes:

look3467

Premium Member
So that both sides can understand their side better, the God believers and the Satan believers.

If I wanted to create a game say of football, I would want a playing field so that the game could be played on it. (Earth) God created the earth.

Then, if I wanted to make some rules for the game, so that the players would be responsible, to play a fair game, I would introduce say 10 rules of play.

And I would further say, if they are not followed to a T, I would expel the player or players.

Next, I would need some players. A caption or quarter back,(Symbolized as a King maybe), a half back, full back, wide receivers etc. (Symbolized by the different classes of people).

Oops! Now that I have a team, just who are they going to play, and how will I know "HOW GOOD" they are unless I create for them an "opposition".

Enter the tree of knowledge of "Good" and "Evil".

We all possess both with the ability to manage them.

If it were not for the rules and the playing field to make this life an experience, we would never know just how good we could be.

Satan is depicted as the bad guy as in "The devil made me do it", but in reality, it was the evil in us that we allowed to manifest itself.

God placed the tree of knowledge of Good and evil in the garden, not Satan, not the devil.

God is both able to be to us a friend and foe for one express purpose, and that is for us to be able to pick up on it and do right, to win, to learn to manage our evil desires through this life's experience.

Now, which side is the better in the battle of this life's experience?

The one that has learned to manage the good side over the evil side whether from this team or the other team.

Evil, friends is on both sides, but God is not evil and Satan and or the devil are not evil, but mankind who have an evil heart, are evil, and that evil heart is what needs be dealt with.

Peace>>>AJ

logician

"Why is Satan bad?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but satan was invented to scare people into becoming believers in a literal Christ period. Ain't no such animal.