• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is pork considered impure meat?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I mean...I believe it is weird how certain religions despise the best and tastiest kind of meat, on the basis of religious traditions.
I would like to understand these cultures better.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
In our Graeco-Roman tradition pork is a sacred ritual symbol.

02-193403-21-22.JPG.jpg
02-193444-21-77.JPG.jpg

exchemist

Veteran Member
I mean...I believe it is weird how certain religions despise the best and tastiest kind of meat, on the basis of religious traditions.
Then why don't you look it up on the internet?

Oh all right then. There are theories that the Semitic religions prohibit pork because it goes bad very quickly in hot weather (which it certainly does), and/or that, because pigs are omnivores, they are particularly likely to pick up parasites such as tapeworms and other nasties, whose larvae can then be transmitted by eating the flesh of the pig. To this day the advice is always to cook pork thoroughly, to avoid this risk. We now know that, but back then they probably had not worked this out.

The prohibition against shellfish is similarly understandable. These pick up and concentrate any toxic materials in what the shellfish eat - and when you eat shellfish you invariable eat whatever is in the digestive system of the shellfish, so you are exposed to it. Algal blooms are well known for poisoning eaters of shellfish.

But actually I suspect you just want an excuse to post a large picture of something forbidden, to all the Jews and Muslims here, so you can make them uncomfortable and then crow about it - the cultural equivalent of putting a brick through their window. That would at any rate be typical behaviour for the xenophobic fascists you admire so much. :D

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
But actually I suspect you just want an excuse to post a large picture of something forbidden, to all the Jews and Muslims here, so you can make them uncomfortable and then crow about it - the cultural equivalent of putting a brick through their window. That would at any rate be typical behaviour for the xenophobic fascists you admire so much. :D

You maliciously thought of that? LoL

But since you brought it up...it does bother me things like this happen in Europe.;)

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2019/06/...g-muslims-muslim-migrants-attack-participants

susanblange

Pork is forbidden because a pig parts the hoof but it does not chew the cud. Shellfish are forbidden because they are bottom feeders.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
You maliciously thought of that? LoL

But since you brought it up...it does bother me things like this happen in Europe.;)

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2019/06/...g-muslims-muslim-migrants-attack-participants
Maliciously? Not really. I've just observed your contempt and hatred of alien cultures over a period of months on this site, so it is simply reasonable supposition on my part. You have, demonstrably, zero interest in "understanding" these cultures, as your OP claims. Your purpose is to diminish them and suggest your own is superior. And now you have just provided some more evidence of what I mean by linking to jihadwatch.

MikeDwight

upload_2019-8-31_7-12-28.jpeg
upload_2019-8-31_7-11-35.jpeg

Look guys, Professor Jesus here. "Matthew 15:11 11What goes into someone's mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them."" "Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body?"
When you eat Pork it just leaves you anyway. Earlier Jews, especially since Jesus is Super-Jew, declared things dirty. People who had the bloody cycle needed to leave community a while. I am advocating Professor Jesus because if I ate pure sewage, that doesn't make me unclean Either. Eating Pure Sewage makes me throw up and diarrhea and whatever, I'm not Holding onto that crap.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It's not just pork. Many animals are not kosher for eating. Horse, rabbit, camel also, just to name a few.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
It's not just pork. Many animals are not kosher for eating. Horse, rabbit, camel also, just to name a few.
Remind me, eating unclean food is permissible in a life-or-death situation, right? Like, you're Bear Grylls in the woods throwing a stick to kill a rabbit because you haven't eaten in 3 days kind of situation. I'd imagine you'd probably have to go through some sort of purification after you get back to civilization though regardless, but in the meantime it's fine under Jewish law if ya gotta eat what ya gotta eat to stay alive, right?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Remind me, eating unclean food is permissible in a life-or-death situation, right? Like, you're Bear Grylls in the woods throwing a stick to kill a rabbit because you haven't eaten in 3 days kind of situation. I'd imagine you'd probably have to go through some sort of purification after you get back to civilization though regardless, but in the meantime it's fine under Jewish law if ya gotta eat what ya gotta eat to stay alive, right?
Yes, staying alive trumps almost everything,

In An Emergency, Can Observant Jews Eat Non-Kosher Food?

Last edited:

Wasp

I don't know.

Muslims often talk about it being dirty because of what it eats and also its digestive system is fast so it leaves toxins in the body. Apparently it is related to liver diseases.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Is that right about camels? The muslims certainly seem to eat those. (I can imagine if you are one of the Bedouin crossing the Rub-al-Khali it would be practically criminal not to kill and eat one that got injured.) There used to be an abattoir outside our company office on the Creek in Dubai and I recall seeing camels brought in on several occasions.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I heard pork tastes like human. Whether this has anything to do with the prohibition i don't know but if it is a factor one wonders who did the taste test.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Is that right about camels? The muslims certainly seem to eat those. (I can imagine if you are one of the Bedouin crossing the Rub-al-Khali it would be practically criminal not to kill and eat one that got injured.) There used to be an abattoir outside our company office on the Creek in Dubai and I recall seeing camels brought in on several occasions.
Vayikra - Leviticus - Chapter 11 (Parshah Shemini) see these verses.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Then why don't you look it up on the internet?

Oh all right then. There are theories that the Semitic religions prohibit pork because it goes bad very quickly in hot weather (which it certainly does), and/or that, because pigs are omnivores, they are particularly likely to pick up parasites such as tapeworms and other nasties, whose larvae can then be transmitted by eating the flesh of the pig. To this day the advice is always to cook pork thoroughly, to avoid this risk. We now know that, but back then they probably had not worked this out.
This isn't actually true. Chicken, for instance, is just as dangerous as pork.

The big issue, as I see it: Semitic tribes were nomadic shepherds. You can't graze pigs; they need to live in pens, which means to have pigs, you need to live on a farm in a fixed location.

Because of this, a group of nomadic shepherds can easily start seeing pigs as a marker that signifies a difference between "us" - shepherds with no pigs - and "them" - non-nomadic peoples who keep pigs.

The prohibition against shellfish is similarly understandable. These pick up and concentrate any toxic materials in what the shellfish eat - and when you eat shellfish you invariable eat whatever is in the digestive system of the shellfish, so you are exposed to it. Algal blooms are well known for poisoning eaters of shellfish.
Or it could be the same issues as with pigs: most sorts of fishing don't involve rooting yourself to one place. After you've cast your net and gathered some fish, you're still free to move somewhere else.

Fishing for shellfish, OTOH, means setting up traps at a fixed spot that you keep going back to. It roots you in one spot, so it's incompatible with a nomadic lifestyle and therefore is a distinction between "us" and "them."

exchemist

Veteran Member
This isn't actually true. Chicken, for instance, is just as dangerous as pork.

The big issue, as I see it: Semitic tribes were nomadic shepherds. You can't graze pigs; they need to live in pens, which means to have pigs, you need to live on a farm in a fixed location.

Because of this, a group of nomadic shepherds can easily start seeing pigs as a marker that signifies a difference between "us" - shepherds with no pigs - and "them" - non-nomadic peoples who keep pigs.

Or it could be the same issues as with pigs: most sorts of fishing don't involve rooting yourself to one place. After you've cast your net and gathered some fish, you're still free to move somewhere else.

Fishing for shellfish, OTOH, means setting up traps at a fixed spot that you keep going back to. It roots you in one spot, so it's incompatible with a nomadic lifestyle and therefore is a distinction between "us" and "them."
That's a very interesting idea about nomads, certainly.

But chicken does not harbour parasites in the same way as pork, surely, does it?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
That's very interesting. So there is one point, seemingly, of difference between muslim and Jewish dietary restrictions. I had always assumed they were more or less similar.
Yeah, Jewish ones are way more restrictive.