• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is monotheism 'best'?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Because it so often requires blind faith, and blind faith appeals to those who prefer not to think for themselves (as in the vast majority of people).

Why do you think that monotheism is different than polytheism in this regard?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
:facepalm: Dear gods, why didn't I remember this point earlier:

Early anthropology followed the idea that religion followed a sort of evolutionary progression from primitive (lesser) forms like animism to civilized (greater) forms. Although these ideas are now recognized for the ethnocentric and culturally biased crap they were, mainstream society still seems to hold to the idea.

Thanks for reminding me of this.

Exactly! It is hard to shake biases-- especially those that are subliminally developed, rather than being overtly taught-- that you simply gain from the culture in which you live.

I suppose, but knowing too much about chemistry for my own good, I also recognize that there are very important distinctions between the three and it's not quite right to say they're equivalents. They're "the same" in the sense that they are all dihydrogen monoxide, but not at all "the same" with respect to other important physical properties. To me, this metaphor is similar to the "facets of a diamond" idea that is often spoke of by soft polytheists within Neopaganism, so the Christian trinity seems like soft polytheism to me (or soft monotheism, if we prefer... whatever). Judaism on the other hand is hard monotheism; God is God and there is no other God but God; no Father/Son/Holy Spirit thing going on.

Well, isn't that precisely the point? Technically, God is the same (dihydrogen monoxide) in all three, but all three differ in their "physical properties" and functions?

I prefer to take the Christians at face value. They claim there is only one God. That makes them monotheists.

Personally, I don't think the divine is a numbers game anyway. How you split up the pieces is a matter of your own point of view.

So you think that God is one, and if people are polytheists, they are just worshipping all the aspects of one God in different forms?

Chisti

If at all one wants to be a theist, then monotheism is the best. It eliminates worldly things as 'not god', which is a good thing. Cultures where monotheism is absent or very faint tend to worship even animals and people as gods.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
He made to claims: that he was the Messiah, and that he was a "Son of God". That's it.

:yes: When asked directly by the high priest in front of the Sanhedrin, "Are you the son of God?", Jesus answered "I am".

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
So you think that God is one, and if people are polytheists, they are just worshipping all the aspects of one God in different forms?

No. I look out my window and I see a forest. I also see a bunch of trees. It would not be proper to say what I am seeing is either a forest or a bunch of trees. It is neither and it is both. The universe has both underlying sameness and rich multiplicity. To see things one way or the other, to me, is completely wrong. An oak tree is not a walnut tree, but both are trees and part of the same biological lineage of kingdom plantae. Same and not-same. It's about how you choose to map the territory as a person, or how you see the patterns and differences inherent in reality.

Yeah, I know; this probably confuses the heck out of a lot of people. I'm a monotheist AND a polytheist, yet neither, really. I always work with things in a polytheistic fashion, though, since humans frankly cannot comprehend the Great Zero and I feel it is a waste of my time to try (that and it tends to give me a splitting headache to attempt to comprehend such remote levels of reality; I can't see superstrings and it's dumb to pretend I can).

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
If at all one wants to be a theist, then monotheism is the best. It eliminates worldly things as 'not god', which is a good thing. Cultures where monotheism is absent or very faint tend to worship even animals and people as gods.

I think you misunderstand animism and polytheism. (For example) They aren't worshiping cows as just a cow, but as a manifestation, or representation, of deity.

Besides, how do you know that the cow is "not god"? :p

beerisit

I think you misunderstand animism and polytheism. (For example) They aren't worshiping cows as just a cow, but as a manifestation, or representation, of deity.

Besides, how do you know that the cow is "not god"? :p
Really, I mean really? You mean god wrecked my car by stupidly running out onto the road? And I killed him? Her? I really am going to hell.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Namaste

Why do you feel monotheism is best? Why is the Abrahamic model of monotheism so revered and touted as the best form of worship?
Monotheism is 'best' because monotheistic civilizations have been more globally dominant.
Most people are not exposed to the Upanishads, Mahabharata, Ramayana, or the Gita. To them religions such as Hinduism seem to be in the realm of superstitious polytheism.

nameless

The Creator
If at all one wants to be a theist, then monotheism is the best. It eliminates worldly things as 'not god', which is a good thing.
it is a good thing only if the worldly things are 'not god', seems like monotheists has complete idea about god which makes them capable to differenciate between 'god' and 'not god'.
Cultures where monotheism is absent or very faint tend to worship even animals and people as gods.
you dont bow to buddha?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Seems to be the natural progression of religion throughout the Mediterranean and Middle East.

Near East transition - Polytheism -->Henotheism -->Monolotry -->Monotheism
Greek/Hellenistic transition – Polytheism-->Henotheism (Pantheon)-->Monotheistic and deistic philosophies (Stoics, Xenophanes, Plato, Aristotle, Epicurus, etc.)
Arabic transition –Polytheism -->Henotheism -->Monotheism

Jacksnyte

Reverend
Why do you think that monotheism is different than polytheism in this regard?

Polytheists often are not literalists. Most of the gods worshipped by them are symbols of a particular aspect of nature. If new information is introduced, polytheists are quicker to assimilate and use the new knowledge, whereas monotheists are likely to deny any info not in line with their dogma.

F0uad

Okay, but what if there is no most powerful? What if the most powerful organism is equally as powerful as another existing organism? They then are the two most powerful organisms, but neither is more powerful than another.

That doesn't work.. since MOST powerful means that he is the MOST

I understood that, but why can't there be two creators of all things, the two had always existed, as that one creator of all things would have always existed.
What if the universe was created then who created it since both are labelled as creator of all thing for example if God A creates a Atom then God B didn't create that Atom therefore he is not the creator of all things.

Indeed, it's quite frightening.

I think this is why most people prefer using One-God and think Monotheism is better in my opinion.