• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is male facial hair so widespread these days?

Cooky

Veteran Member
Well, you need to get over it as it's not grounded in reality or any sort of reasonableness. Beards became popular recently due to to white urban hipsters, not Muslims. Muslims don't have that sort of cultural reach in America. Most of the beard care products at your average store are marketed towards hipsters, so that should give you a clue as to who is behind the trend.

I personally have a beard since I look better with it and it goes with my shaved head and the subcultures I'm part of. It helps my face look very masculine. Nothing to do with religion.

I'm probably over-reacting. In hindsight.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Men who prefer women with shaven underarms and shaven legs hate the natural female body too.
A preference is quite different from hating on something to the point where you make multiple threads in the span of a couple weeks just to rant and rave about it. You have basically insulted guys for having beards. Now don't get me wrong - I'm totally convinced that you're just a troll and don't believe anything you say about yourself. But if I'm to take your persona seriously, it is quite bizarre to the point of being comical.

Jonathan Bailey

Well, you need to get over it as it's not grounded in reality or any sort of reasonableness. Beards became popular recently due to to white urban hipsters, not Muslims. Muslims don't have that sort of cultural reach in America. Most of the beard care products at your average store are marketed towards hipsters, so that should give you a clue as to who is behind the trend.

I personally have a beard since I look better with it and it goes with my shaved head and the subcultures I'm part of. It helps my face look very masculine. Nothing to do with religion. I would have it regardless of trends. I do not see beards going away, though, the same as tattoos and piercings won't really go away since all of them have become more socially acceptable. Those kinds of things used to be the norm.

Why does Tony Franciosa look so tough and manly clean-shaven and his head not skinned? The ultimate mark of manliness is a deep voice.
Take Gary Busey:

Jonathan Bailey

A preference is quite different from hating on something to the point where you make multiple threads in the span of a couple weeks just to rant and rave about it. You have basically insulted guys for having beards. Now don't get me wrong - I'm totally convinced that you're just a troll and don't believe anything you say about yourself. But if I'm to take your persona seriously, it is quite bizarre to the point of being comical.

I seriously want guys to shave again. I want beards to die. I'm very angry about beards. It makes me nauseous seeing beards on waiters and cooks and especially when they are not covered. Beards make me puke. Dam my eyes!

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Why does Tony Franciosa look so tough and manly clean-shaven and his head not skinned?
81DjwegF3vL._AC_UL320_.jpg

The ultimate mark of manliness is a deep voice.
Take Gary Busey:

Going by that standard, Busey is a pansy compared to Sam Elliott:

One is much more associated with ideals of masculinity than the other. Guess which one.

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member
What I hate most about my facial hair is that my eyebrows turned blonde... But they didn't used to be. They used to be brown like my beard, but the sun bleached them.

Now it looks like I don't have any eyebrows. :(

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I was born in 1964. I'm so accustomed to seeing clean-shaven men for most of my life. All the men in my family were clean-shaven. My 1908-born grandfather thought men with beards looked like dirty bums or hippies. It is customary to cut off the male foreskin in America for sanitary reasons. Foreskins look weird on nude men and boys. Hair on guys' faces also look weird. I can tolerate the looks of a well-trimmed mustache, but that's it.

QFSCvoh.png
Your ancestors of the 1800's and earlier would have thought very differently. On the topic of circumcision, Europeans and most other nations of the world today do think very differently. You may think facial hair and uncircumcised male genitalia look odd, but to our American ancestors from the 18th century and earlier, and to people from other nations, we modern Americans are the weird ones.

Jonathan Bailey

Your ancestors of the 1800's and earlier would have thought very differently. On the topic of circumcision, Europeans and most other nations of the world today do think very differently. You may think facial hair and uncircumcised male genitalia look odd, but to our American ancestors from the 18th century and earlier, and to people from other nations, we modern Americans are the weird ones.

Perfect teeth were expected in 20th century America also. 20th century America was also about personal hygiene. We are averse as a nation to body odor. We don't like to be near people who stink. The Europeans are vile.

Hollywood and television celebrities are role models about how we should look.

Shaving Cream
Benny Bell

I have a sad story to tell you
It may hurt your feelings a bit
Last night when I walked into my bathroom
I stepped in a big pile of...
Shaving cream, be nice and clean
Shave everyday and you'll always look keen
I think I'll break off with my girlfriend
Her antics are queer I'll admit
Each time I say, "Darling, I love you"
She tells me that I'm full of...
Our baby fell out of the window
You'd think that her head would be split
But good luck was with her that morning
She fell in a barrel of...
An old lady died in a bathtub
She died from a terrible fit
In order to fulfill her wishes
She was buried in six feet of...
When I was in France with the army
One day I looked into my kit
I thought I would find me a sandwich
But the darn thing was loaded with...
And now, folks, my story is ended
I think it is time I should quit
If any of you feel offended
Stick your head in a barrel of...

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Hmm, this conversation got a little strange.

And this is me AT-AT saying it, the guy who talks about crop tops on men.

Oh well...

takes-bite-funny-beard-memes.jpg

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Premium Member
Perfect teeth were expected in 20th century America also. 20th century America was also about personal hygiene. We are averse as a nation to body odor. We don't like to be near people who stink.
Yes, and beards don't stink. They're just hair. They get washed every day in the shower just like the hair on the top of your head. Do you shave your head, too?

The Europeans are vile.
This tells me you've never been to Europe, and it also says that you are extremely xenophobic and ethnocentric. I've lived in Austria for 2 years and been to 14 different countries on the continent. Also, where do you suppose you get your cultural sentiments of what you deem acceptable, attractive, unacceptable and unattractive if not from the very continent you call "vile"? Do you imagine that all white-skinned Americans just popped out of holes in the ground all around North America starting in the 1600's?

Hollywood and television celebrities are role models about how we should look.
So you're saying women should take their fashion cues from Miley Cyrus?

Jonathan Bailey

Yes, and beards don't stink. They're just hair. They get washed every day in the shower just like the hair on the top of your head. Do you shave your head, too?

This tells me you've never been to Europe, and it also says that you are extremely xenophobic and ethnocentric. I've lived in Austria for 2 years and been to 14 different countries on the continent. Also, where do you suppose you get your cultural sentiments of what you deem acceptable, attractive, unacceptable and unattractive if not from the very continent you call "vile"? Do you imagine that all white-skinned Americans just popped out of holes in the ground all around North America starting in the 1600's?

So you're saying women should take their fashion cues from Miley Cyrus?
It's also about how MEN should look.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
It's also about how MEN should look.
Alright, and fashion trends are changing constantly nowadays, including in Hollywood and on TV. Are you saying that beards are fine now since a great many men on TV and in Hollywood now have beards and the trend seems to be getting ever more popular?

Also, what do you think of all the men of Israel who wore beards? Do you think our Lord Jesus Christ and His Apostles are "vile", smelly, unkempt, barbaric and uncouth? What of Moses, Aaron and King David?

Last edited:

Jonathan Bailey

Alright, and fashion trends are changing constantly nowadays, including in Hollywood and on TV. Are you saying that beards are fine now since a great many men on TV and in Hollywood now have beards and the trend seems to be getting ever more popular?

Also, what do you think of all the men of Israel who wore beards? Do you think our Lord Jesus Christ and His Apostles are "vile", smelly, unkempt, barbaric and uncouth? What of Moses, Aaron and King David?

No, I never said it was RIGHT to follow Hollywood or TV trends. Death, violence and killing is also fashionable on TV and in movies but is it good for the real world to follow?