• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is it important to be right?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Specifically, right in matters that can't be proven absolutely right either way, whether that's religion, politics or opinions in general.

Why is it so important to be right?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Jensa said:
Specifically, right in matters that can't be proven absolutely right either way, whether that's religion, politics or opinions in general.

Human Nature

standing_alone

In order to justify our actions.

Perhaps it would be better to ask what is "right" and what is "wrong"?? Why is it important you ask.....because we feel the need to do so. And, it is our leaders who deside....wether we always agree with them or not......at least on the "big" issues anyhoo.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
standing_alone said:
In order to justify our actions.
Why would our actions need justifying if we didn't try to hurt people?
Thorin the Skald said:
Perhaps it would be better to ask what is "right" and what is "wrong"?? Why is it important you ask.....because we feel the need to do so.
We feel the need to make petty things like clothes and vehicles important. Does that make them so?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I don't think it is. There are times when no one is right, or no one is wrong. It's more important to listen to others to form an opinion, then decide what's right for you.

standing_alone

Why would our actions need justifying if we didn't try to hurt people?
I guess I'm just quite the pessimistic, cynical soul that believes when most people need to prove they're right is when their actions tend to be hurting others. If people can justify their questionable actions by claiming they are right, it takes away the guilt they would normally feel for their actions. But maybe the justification doesn't need be only for negative actions. People may feel their belief that care for the needy or the general community is an obligation for themselves and society. Their belief would justify their actions to do something to help the poor or the general community and make others do so (higher taxation for programs, mandatory community service for certain criminals, etc.). This person's belief is not neccessarily right, as others will believe this is not right. But this person's actions will have a positive effect for others, and doesn't really hurt anybody (taxes aside :D ). But I think I'm just sort of pulling this all out my a**.

I do not always feel I need to be "right".....or "wrong"......but there are times when I am one of the two. For example.....as a Substitute Teacher....when a student asks a question, I give them the "right" answer.......and when I don't, I admit I am "wrong". Does this line of reasoning answer your question? Or, are you going in a different direction?? Spiritually, I know that I am just as "right" in my beliefs as all other people of faith, as I know there is a DIVINE that we all look to. I know that my faith is not more "right" than others......that it is perhaps just different.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
My original post specifically targeted things that can't be proven right either way... from what I remember, most of K-12 public education didn't fall under that.

It was my answer to the child that was "right" or "wrong", not education. Perhaps if you were to give some examples of things you are thinking of......

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I did in the OP... politics, religion, opinions in general. Things that can't be proven wrong or right either way.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Master Vigil said:
It isn't. Our ego blinds us and makes us think that it is.
Agreed.

In real life, if someone decides to argue some obscure point, I might play ball for a bit. I have noticed that people have a tendency to speak from an intractable position however. If I sense this in a conversation, I will concede the argument and go do something else.

It just isn't worth laboring silly ideas.