• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is homosexuality a sin

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Paedophiles' sexual attraction is based on age, not gender.

An adult who is attracted to adults of either gender is almost certainly not a paedophile.*

*not for reasons of sexual attraction, anyhow. Some sexual victimization is based on control, not attraction, but in that case the orientation of the attacker is irrelevant to the crime.
Yes.
I understand this.
sad thing is that there are millions of people who do not understand this.
Those who present the "Official" Catholic Church's position are amongst them.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
"Infiltrated???" I can assure you that there have almost certainly been homosexual clergy since there have been homosexuals...and clergy.

Why don't these people get over themselves?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
It's not. It's homosexual sexual relations that are sin. The most obvious religious reason is because they necessarily take place outside of marriage.

And the same people who think it's a sin don't let gay people marry each other, so the whole thing just wraps up in a nice neat circle. Or, to put it differently, the obvious remedy would be to permit gay marriage, which somehow I suspect you don't want to do, am I right?

Aqualung

Tasty
9=10s Penguin said:
Paedophiles' sexual attraction is based on age, not gender.

An adult who is attracted to adults of either gender is almost certainly not a paedophile.*
Yes.
I understand this.
sad thing is that there are millions of people who do not understand this.
Those who present the "Official" Catholic Church's position are amongst them.

You two have such similar avatars that I thought you were debating with yourself. :D

Aqualung

Tasty
And the same people who think it's a sin don't let gay people marry each other, so the whole thing just wraps up in a nice neat circle. Or, to put it differently, the obvious remedy would be to permit gay marriage, which somehow I suspect you don't want to do, am I right?

No, you are wrong. Read my signature. I am a Libertarian. (too bad it's not doing quite as good a job at dissuading people from telling me my beliefs as I thought it would.)

I pointed out the most obvious reason, not the only reason. and civilly recognised "marriage" is not a reason at all.

Aqualung

Tasty
Are you saying that mine looks like some sort of hooded Grim Reaper-like figure, or that his looks like a magnified bit of yeast? :D

I'm saying that they're both kind of darkish with some sort of blobish shape in the middle. :D I neither look at people's usernames nor their avatars - I just rely on my peripheral vision (plus, it generally doesn't matter to me WHO I'm debating, rather WHAT). The only time I look hard is when people start debating themselves. :biglaugh:

athanasius

Why is homosexuality a sin?

It depends on what you mean by homosexuality and sin. Whose concept of sin are you going by? I cannot speak for anyone else or any other religion but only the Catholic faith. If you mean by homosexuality, merely same sex attraction, then according to Catholic understanding, that isn't a sin at all, but rather a cross to bear. But if you mean by homosexuality, a lifestyle of homosexual activity, then that would be a sin to the Catholic understanding.

Why is it a sin to Catholics? Well that is simple, because to Catholic teaching open freely engaging homosexual practice is contrary to natural law and more importantly to Divine law revealed by God through his Catholic Church. Its a simple as that.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
No, you are wrong. Read my signature. I am a Libertarian. (too bad it's not doing quite as good a job at dissuading people from telling me my beliefs as I thought it would.)

I pointed out the most obvious reason, not the only reason. and civilly recognised "marriage" is not a reason at all.

O.K., thanks, so I gather you don't have a problem with homosexuality, either. What I was trying to get at is:

Gay sex is wrong because it's non-marital sex.
But we won't let you get married.
So we don't allow gay people to have sex that wouldn't be wrong.

Not very fair.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

Why is it a sin to Catholics? Well that is simple, because to Catholic teaching open freely engaging homosexual practice is contrary to natural law and more importantly to Divine law revealed by God through his Catholic Church. Its a simple as that.

Well yes, but that's just tautological. It's wrong because the Church says it's wrong. The question that raises is: Why does God out law it?

As for natural law--well that's obviously just plain wrong, or meaningless. There is no meaningful sense of the term "natural law" that homosexual practice violates.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Is that what that is? I thought it was some kind of submarine. O.K., why does a magnified yeast represent you?
Partly, it's because I brew beer.

Mostly, it's because I think it looks neat in an "I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at" sort of way.

athanasius

Well yes, but that's just tautological. It's wrong because the Church says it's wrong. The question that raises is: Why does God out law it?

As for natural law--well that's obviously just plain wrong, or meaningless. There is no meaningful sense of the term "natural law" that homosexual practice violates.

Personally it doesn't really matter to us what you think. The question isn't about why the church is right or wrong. It simply ask why do we believe it(Homosexual practice) to be wrong. I gave the simple answer which for us devout catholics is true.

Aqualung

Tasty
Gay sex is wrong because it's non-marital sex.
No, read again. THE MOST OBVIOUS REASON is because it's non-marital.

Then, even if a civil government allows gay marriage, that brings up the question of wether or not a government can be arbiter of spiritual things (which I think it can't).

And, that's not even addressing the less obvious reasons.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Personally it doesn't really matter to us what you think. The question isn't about why the church is right or wrong. It simply ask why do we believe it(Homosexual practice) to be wrong. I gave the simple answer which for us devout catholics is true.

Personally, we think it's interesting that you think you're plural. But that's just us.

My point is that your answer was non-informative: It's a sin because it's prohibited. No information there. The substantive question is, why is it prohibited. See what I mean?

e.g. Why is X illegal? Because it's against the law. Doesn't answer the question.

Jeremiah

The question isn't about why the church is right or wrong.

Yes it is. The church can not substantiate their reasoning, giving their opinion on this topic very little weight. In the long run this type approach will just hurt the church.

Jeremiah

I don't know how anyone keeps up with what the church considers a sin.

Churches like to promote the idea that we are all sinners. It seems to me to be the negative reinforcement technique people use to train dogs.

BAD DOG!!! BAD DOG!!. And if you noticed dog is god spelt backwards. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.