• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is furry fandom mostly hated on for stuff other fandoms have?

Axelfox

Because i have noticed how people seem to judge furry mostly on the fact that it has adult content,when i have seen stuff like adult art on display at anime cons,people talking about Rule 34 at a comic con and such. Yet the other fandoms seem to get a free pass,while furry gets hated on. Adult art exists in all fandoms,but isn't the basis of any fandom. Even furry has g rated art.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems to me that most people don't have a bloody clue what a furry even is. It's a very obscure subculture, and unless you participate in certain other not particularly popular subcultures, you're not going to know it is even a thing. I barely even know it is a thing, and I certainly don't associate it with what you mention here.

jonathan180iq

I think you're making the assumption that those other fandoms don't get ragged on just as hard as the Furries... As an outsider, I'm telling you there isn't a joke about furries that I can think of that I wouldn't also make about people at Star Trek conventions or LARPers

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Furries are lucky to have the wonderful word, "furvert".
I don't see that they're hated.
Perhaps it's cuz they have a lower profile (fewer of them?) than some other fan types.

Emi

Proud to be a Pustra!
They aren't hated any more or less than other obscure fandoms ie anime, star wars, mlp, otherkin, vampyres, etc

Erebus

I don't get the furry fandom. I just don't see what's appealing about it and so frankly I find it bizarre.

Now having said that, I do my best to put my personal tastes into perspective. Furries aren't hurting anybody, they don't try to make me join in with their fandom, they don't insult me for not understanding it. Therefore, I have no reason to hate or even dislike them.

Unfortunately, a lot of people are incredibly bad at putting things into perspective. They don't get the fandom, so to their minds it must be a perversion or a defect. People aren't too good at accepting (or even ignoring) the things they see as "other"

Parsimony

The brony fandom gets similar treatment. It's to be expected that anything "unconventional" is going to catch it's fair share of criticism and generalizations, even if it's unjustified. Pretty much any minority group can relate to that.

Jumi

Can someone explain what they are? I have a hunch, but know nothing about them.

Parsimony

Can someone explain what they are? I have a hunch, but know nothing about them.
Furry is a term, in its loosest sense, used to describe people who enjoy characters that are anthropomorphic animals. In a more strict sense, it's a person who admires such characters and actively considers him or herself to be a part of the furry fandom (since there are a lot of people who may like, say, Bugs Bunny or Mickey Mouse but wouldn't necessarily consider themselves to be furries).

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The brony fandom gets similar treatment. It's to be expected that anything "unconventional" is going to catch it's fair share of criticism and generalizations, even if it's unjustified. Pretty much any minority group can relate to that.
With bronies, I think it's more because it's really creepy to see grown men so obsessed with something that is meant for little girls. It screams "pedo".

Parsimony

With bronies, I think it's more because it's really creepy to see grown men so obsessed with something that is meant for little girls. It screams "pedo".
Yes, it's quite true that people see that generalization. I've heard it more times than I care to, and it's just as unfounded a conclusion as saying that all furries are perverts or that all blacks are thugs or that all Muslims are terrorists.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes, it's quite true that people see that generalization. I've heard it more times than I care to, and it's just as unfounded a conclusion as saying that all furries are perverts or that all blacks are thugs or that all Muslims are terrorists.
Oh, I know. I don't think bronies are all pedophiles. Hell, not even all actual pedophiles creep me out (I've talked to some people who have attractions to children).

Axelfox

Yeah, and seems many believe what the tv says about furries over what we say how furries are like. Like there was a episode of 1000 ways to die and i know without a doubt that what goes on in the episode is all wrong. When i go furmeets,it's mostly to hang loose,talk story,fursuit,do charity work and such. But thanks to that episode, some misinformed people think we bounce each other in fursuit. I'm like "you shouldn't believe everything you see on tv."

Parsimony

Oh, I know. I don't think bronies are all pedophiles. Hell, not even all actual pedophiles creep me out (I've talked to some people who have attractions to children).
Okay. Sorry if that sounded aggressive at all.
Yeah, and seems many believe what the tv says about furries over what we say how furries are like. Like there was a episode of 1000 ways to die and i know without a doubt that what goes on in the episode is all wrong. When i go furmeets,it's mostly to hang loose,talk story,fursuit,do charity work and such. But thanks to that episode, some misinformed people think we bounce each other in fursuit. I'm like "you shouldn't believe everything you see on tv."
"1,000 Ways to Die" is a fairly unreliable show when it comes to the facts, unfortunately. I also recall there being an episode about furries on CSI once (with, of course, emphasis on the sexual aspect of it).

I think another reason for the negative views on the furry fandom is because bad news tends to get more attention than good news. Once any group shows something strange or bad about themselves, the public latches onto it.

Axelfox

"1,000 Ways to Die" is a fairly unreliable show when it comes to the facts, unfortunately. I also recall there being an episode about furries on CSI once (with, of course, emphasis on the sexual aspect of it).

I think another reason for the negative views on the furry fandom is because bad news tends to get more attention than good news. Once any group shows something strange or bad about themselves, the public latches onto it.

Yup. I saw the CSI episode as well. Seems most don't believe that it is only a minority who even uses fursuits in a sexual manner. I don't use my fursuit in that at all. And most furs i know even hate the idea. Those fursuits cost a lot of money,you can get heatstroke in one,and many fursuit makers won't even make a murrsuit. yeah try asking around on furaffinity and you will turn up empty.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Maybe it's my bias showing but I kind of associate furries with like, teenagers and young adults.

Like, I don't picture that many business executives or physicians being furries. But maybe I'm wrong. When I found out what a furry was, it made me feel kind of old, even though I'm still in my mid/late twenties. Like it was one of the first things where I thought, "I don't think they had this back in my day."