• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is evangelising so offensive?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't think that is an assumption that I hold

I believe that I can offer spiritual wellbeing, most certainly

But that doesn't mean that I think that people cannot have it through other means
In your OP, you used the term "come to the Lord" to describe someone leaving their old belief system in favour of yours.

This sure doesn't sound like you respect other people's belief systems as valid ways to achieve "spiritual well-being."

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Foundational to this is disrespect for the beliefs of others: no matter what someone else believes or why, you think it would be better for them to abandon their beliefs and adopt yours instead.
I don't think it is possible to hold a belief whilst not believing that belief to be better than others

That's what holding a belief is all about

To believe one thing to be true means believing other things to be false

When I was an Atheist I believed I was right and others were wrong

As a Christian I believe I am right and that others are wrong

Do you think that it would be better for me to abandon my beliefs and adopt yours instead?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
In your OP, you used the term "come to the Lord" to describe someone leaving their old belief system in favour of yours.

This sure doesn't sound like you respect other people's belief systems as valid ways to achieve "spiritual well-being."
I was thinking more of people who don't have an explicit belief system

Which is what I was like for a good few years

If someone has a relationship with God through (for instance) being a Jew (as opposed to a Christian) then that is admirable and good and such a person would already be with the Lord, IMO

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I'm open-minded about other faiths :)

I'm interested in Hinduism and Judaism
Again, they don't know that.
Maybe we could perhaps explain how we are not out to bother them into our faith in our literature?
You could, but that would only happen if you reach the point of civilized conversation. That's usually not the case with haters.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If the Holy Spirit moves people to be interested then that's great

But if not then no problem!
Out of curiosity: if you really believe this, why would you need a booth?

If the Holy Spirit is directing people, wouldn't it be just as able to direct people to your church on a Sunday morning as to a booth in a public square or whatnot?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It may also be seen by some as trying to take advantage. I know this isn't what you're trying to do, @Eddi, but many folks have been taken in by various religions being proselytised to them at miserable times in their lives when they were vulnerable and wounded. I think if someone had tried preaching Christianity to me when I was stepping out of Noachidism it would have made me angry that someone seemed to be trying to take advantage of my mental state. To a lot of folks, religion is solely 'my business'. When it's being 'sold' them in any form it can feel dubious and you wonder what the catch is.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
If the Holy Spirit is directing people, wouldn't it be just as able to direct people to your church on a Sunday morning as to a booth in a public square or whatnot?
The way I see it, the Holy Spirit works through people

So he wouldn't just mind-control some non-believer to turn up at a church

He would inspire and guide believers in their evangelising activities to convince some non-believer to read a pamphlet or whatever

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't think it is possible to hold a belief whilst not believing that belief to be better than others

That's what holding a belief is all about

To believe one thing to be true means believing other things to be false

When I was an Atheist I believed I was right and others were wrong

As a Christian I believe I am right and that others are wrong

Do you think that it would be better for me to abandon my beliefs and adopt yours instead?
I think there's a difference between being satisfied with one's own beliefs and saying, effectively, "without knowing what the foundation of your beliefs is or how you arrived at them, I already know that my beliefs are right and yours are wrong (to the extent that they disagree with mine)."

You can think your own beliefs are right while still keeping an open mind.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I think though, @Eddi, the bottom-line is that what you want to do is perfectly legal, no-one is obliged to come up to you, so do as you see fit. I think it's fine.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The way I see it, the Holy Spirit works through people

So he wouldn't just mind-control some non-believer to turn up at a church

He would inspire and guide believers in their evangelising activities to convince some non-believer to read a pamphlet or whatever
But you said in your OP that you wouldn't be bothering people.

... or at least, that's what I took you to mean when you said that you were only planning "a passive Christian presence."

Approaching passersby and trying to convince them to read your pamphlets doesn't sound very passive to me.

If this really is what you're planning, I'll have to withdraw my earlier comment about how what you're planning is generally benign. I'm worried that you're now talking about actual harassment.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Approaching passersby and trying to convince them to read your pamphlets doesn't sound very passive to me.
That is not what I meant

I meant that if a non-believer approached us and showed an interest then I would try and convince them to have a look at a pamphlet, as I would think they may be interested in it

I would to this by saying "You may find this interesting, why don't you take it and see if Christianity is for you?"

I don't think that is intrusive, not at all

How would that be intrusive? They would have already approached the stall and engaged us so I think it would be cool to offer them a pamphlet

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That is not what I meant

I meant that if a non-believer approached us and showed an interest then I would try and convince them to have a look at a pamphlet, as I would think they may be interested in it

I would to this by saying "You may find this interesting, why don't you take it and see if Christianity is for you?"

I don't think that is intrusive, not at all

How would that be intrusive? They would have already approached the stall and engaged us so I think it would be cool to offer them a pamphlet
That sounds a bit better, but there's still a difference between "offer" and "convince."

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
To offer = "why don't you take this pamphlet?"

To convince = "I think it would be good for you to take this pamphlet"

I don't think there is anything sinister about trying to "convince" in such a way

Edit - I didn't include the text I was answering to in this post so I'm mentioning who it was aimed at in this edit to be sure he sees it @9-10ths_Penguin

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Immigrants?
Not really, in my experience. Many of them are from places where there is a Christian presence or have heard of the faith. There don't seem to be many places where this isn't the case, now. Many of our new neighbours come from India, Pakistan and Eastern Europe. I wouldn't say they're ignorant of Christianity's existence, really.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Immigrants?
I recall reading that a recent increase in the number of Christians in the UK was down to Christian immigrants (mainly Eastern Europeans). Of course, brexit may have now caused a decrease (especially those lorry drivers....)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Why is evangelising so offensive to some people?

Please explain!

Oof...let me count the ways. But to be clear, I read what your intending, and I wouldn't have an issue with it, assuming it's passive, and more like an information booth than something where you approach people unsolicited.

So I'd split what you're doing from evangelising. Just me. Others may not feel the same.

Recently I made a post on RF about evangelising - me and some friends were going to set up a stall in a public place in my town

All we were going to do was to set up a table and be there if anyone's interested - no street preaching, no bothering people: nothing like that

Apparently some people find this offensive!

Just a passive Christian presence in a public place

Yup. If you put a passive information booth up providing information on Marxism you'd get some push back, no matter how fervently you believe that's it's if benefit to the masses. Because it's not just about what you're pitching, and how, but the associations people make to it. Your passive Christian booth is somewhat linked in SOME people's mind to other expressions of Christianity. Not much to be done about that, I'm just explaining what happens in people's minds.

I do not seek to belittle your beliefs or to force my religion onto you

I merely wish to advertise its existence to those who don't know.

Fair enough. How many do you think are unaware?
What would happen if you set up your passive booth to catch people exiting synagogue or mosque? I mean, at least then you're working with believers, right? Yet I suspect it might not go well. What if Muslims evangelised outside your church? Dunno...just posing the question.

People can then chose to either be interested or to ignore us

If the Holy Spirit moves people to be interested then that's great

But if not then no problem!

Also, we are not motivated by money, nor congregation growth: we are concerned for your spiritual wellbeing

We want to share the good news

And if people want to come to the Lord as a result of our activities then that's a fantastic bonus...

We have every right to do this

Just as you have every right to avoid and ignore us :D

Agreed. Has anyone suggested you don't have the right?

So can we not just be sensible and respect each other's rights?

If I advertise that I exist and that I believe in certain things I do not see how that amounts to being forceful, I just don't see it that way

Fair enough.
I'd see it much like I'd see a fortune tellers booth, to be honest, so if you can walk past those without shuddering, I can manage the same.

And...personally...I'd just nod and smile and keep walking. And have done many a time.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I recall reading that a recent increase in the number of Christians in the UK was down to Christian immigrants (mainly Eastern Europeans). Of course, brexit may have now caused a decrease (especially those lorry drivers....)
Many are also from Africa.