• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Is Christianity "Abrahamic"?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Why is Christianity classed alongside Judaism and Islam as an Abrahamic religion?

The God-Concept of Christianity is distinct from the God-Concept of Judaism and Islam

Because of the Trinity - The Holy Spirit and Jesus (who is considered both human and divine)

People say Christians worship the God of Abraham and even speak of there being a Judaeo-Christian tradition.

But when God interacted with Abraham he said nothing about any Trinity.......

I don't understand this whole situation, perhaps someone could please explain it?

Basically: Why is Christianity in the same category as Judaism and Islam? Surely it shouldn't be as it has a unique God-Concept?

And especially: what do Jews and Moslems think?

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Why is Christianity classed alongside Judaism and Islam as an Abrahamic religion?

The God-Concept of Christianity is distinct from the God-Concept of Judaism and Islam

Because of the Trinity - The Holy Spirit and Jesus (who is considered both human and divine)

People say Christians worship the God of Abraham and even speak of there being a Judaeo-Christian tradition.

I don't understand this whole situation, perhaps someone could please explain it?

Basically: Why is Christianity in the same category as Judaism and Islam? Surely it shouldn't be as it has a unique God-Concept?

The Trinitarian concept does not posit there gods. Instead, at least in the Catholic viewpoint, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are of the "essence" of God.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
The Trinitarian concept does not posit there gods. Instead, at least in the Catholic viewpoint, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are of the "essence" of God.
Be that as it may, the Christian God-Concept is still different from the Jewish God-Concept, which means there isn't really a Judaeo-Christian tradition although yes, Christians do use certain Jewish scriptures

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Christianity and Islam both blossomed from Judaism. What an incredible sight those religions are to behold, individually and collectively. Anything on that tree, from Judaism onward, could be called “Abrahamic”.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Wasn't Abraham's god-concept henotheistic polytheism (i.e. worship only one god while not denying the existence of others)?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Wasn't Abraham's god-concept henotheistic polytheism (i.e. worship only one god while not denying the existence of others)?
"The God of Israel" I believe he called himself? - as opposed to the God of other places or peoples....

I would be interested to learn how that henotheistic God morphed into the monotheistic God

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
So, if you were to re-arrange RF you would do away with the "Abrahamic Religions" DIR?
Probably, yeah. As it is we have polytheists who also hang around the Abrahamic DIR. I really don't know how those go together from an "Abrahamic" perspective.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Probably, yeah. As it is we have polytheists who also hang around the Abrahamic DIR. I really don't know how those go together from an "Abrahamic" perspective.
How exactly would you re-arrange it?