• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I think "own" should not be there; Proverbs 3:5

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am imagining there might be a problem with my mini thesis.

Do I hear a question, "what about knowing the bad" part?

That is a good question. Knowing bad comes with knowing good. Doesn't it?:D

If it was only about knowing good then most of the time we would be empty. Wouldn't we?

savagewind

As long as humans have freewill, guided by ourselves, this world will be in the chaotic state it is now in. Think of the prodigal son. God used this parable to tell us that, yes I'll let you do things on your own (have freewill) and freely welcome you back home when you realize that it is the disaster that it is.

By the way, the prodigal son was Lucifer. God is using mankind to show the universe the evils of not trusting in God's judgment. That is why God said he was grieved that He had created man in Genesis. He wasn't grieved mad, He was grieved sad because they were suffering at that time exactly like we are now. Read Paul's description of mankind in the last days in 2TIM 3, it is a perfect definition for acting evil continually, as God said mankind was before the flood. If God would have been mad it would mean He had made a mistake in creating us. God does not make mistakes.

Also, God did not flood the world. He allowed it to happen. Mankind was the cause of the earth fracturing and releasing the fountains of the deep. God just before it was to shatter held it in place until Noah constructed the ark. The Bible said anyone could have come in. The exact same thing is going to happen a second time.

2 PETER 3 : 6&7 "By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

They're reserved for fire because there no longer is a large enough amount of water in the core to explode the planet. The core of the earth is heated mostly by the decay of radio-active materials in the core. Before the flood our oceans were under the mantle. The core acted as a nuclear plant does today. The decay of the radio-active materials heated the fountains of the deep causing steam which permeated the granite material and heated and watered the entire planet from below. The outside electron in a radio-active material is a weak bond. Putting an outside energy source into the system splits the electron off which strikes another electron and you cause a chain reaction as in a nuclear bomb.

PSALM 75 : 2&3 "You say, 'I choose the appointed time; it is I who judge uprightly. When the earth and all its people quake, it is I who hold the pillars firm."

God said on the 6th day that everything was very good. There could not have been hurricanes or violent storms.

ISAIAH 45 : 18 "he did not create it to be empty, but formed it to be inhabited."

Only 6% of the earth is habitable now. I don't know exactly how the external energy was transferred to the core, but an atomic war would probably be a good guess. Satan has us thinking that the antideluvians were like cavemen but they started out with a perfect earth and their greatest minds lived for over a thousand years. Nuclear bombs would put most of its energy toward least resistance but you'd still have massive amounts of energy generating shock waves downward. The first conflict would have caused the decay rate to increase heating the fountains of deep past what God had set up. The excess steam eventually got to the point where it shattered the mantle releasing the fountains of the deep. If you put an egg into a micro-wave and heat it. It will of course cause the egg to shatter. Just before it shatters though it will jerk violently. That is what caused the tilt of our earth's axis. The tilt has caused hot and cold areas which cause hurricanes and all violet weather. It also caused the wind patterns that cause our deserts. The tilt has caused areas too hot to live and too cold to live. If you've seen pictures of how the Jews were told the earth was before the flood it had a layer of water in the uppermost zone of our atmosphere. At that altitude it would have obviously been ice crystals. Super cold water acts as a magnet. The earth is a magnet, so the two would repel each other. However the gravity would draw it toward the earth. The two opposing forces kept it in place. The release of the fountains of the deep melted this layer. A combination of the steam from the core condensing and the melting of the ice layer caused the 40 days of rain. The loss of the water layer has allowed x-rays, gamma rays all the negative aspects of the sun. This caused mutations, and cancers. Before the flood everything was very good except we chose freewill and destroyed a perfect planet.

2 PETER 3 : 13 But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth"

This time as Peter said it is reserved for fire because there is not enough water to cause enough pressure to split the mantle. The heating will go on this time until the solids melt and turn to steam. Instead of 212 degrees it will be thousands of degrees.

2 PETER 3 : 10-13 "But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the ELEMENTS will be destroyed by fire...............destruction of the heavens by fire, and the ELEMENTS WILL MELT IN THE HEAT."

God is doing the same thing that he did before the flood.:

REVELATION 7 : 1 "After this I saw four angels at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth to prevent"

No need to hold back if God was doing it. He simply would do it when he wanted if He was the one causing it.

I think that Proverbs 3:5 was written thus: Trust in יְ֭הוָה with all your heart and on understanding do not lean.

They added "own" there and I believe it is wrong to read it that way.

It is a FACT that people put their trust (or lean) on the knowledge of wise men and woman. I do not think that it is wrong to learn by knowledgeable and wise persons. I believe it is alright to trust what makes sense, what promotes love and what builds confidence.

I worry that the way Proverbs 3:5 is read discourages trusting in your own conscience and encourages latching on to people who come in the name of The Lord.

Simply. 1. Trust God and 2. do not rely on worldly wisdom.

On the one hand, it is God alone that the writer trusts in and on the other hand, he warns you not to settle on what your heart tells you. What does it tell you? Some people's heart says to trust in what another person says and so in effect he or she becomes your master and you become his or her accomplice.

To add "own" there seems to encourage faith in not yourself (which isn't a bad thing to put faith in yourself) but in those of station (a very bad thing, imo).

Consider some supporting scriptures-I believe- that reinforces the word "own" in Proverbs 3:5: Psalms 146:3, 4; Proverbs 14:12; Isaiah 40:15; 47:17-19; Jeremiah 10:23.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I think that Proverbs 3:5 was written thus: Trust in יְ֭הוָה with all your heart and on understanding do not lean.

They added "own" there and I believe it is wrong to read it that way.

It is a FACT that people put their trust (or lean) on the knowledge of wise men and woman. I do not think that it is wrong to learn by knowledgeable and wise persons. I believe it is alright to trust what makes sense, what promotes love and what builds confidence.

I worry that the way Proverbs 3:5 is read discourages trusting in your own conscience and encourages latching on to people who come in the name of The Lord.

Simply. 1. Trust God and 2. do not rely on worldly wisdom.

On the one hand, it is God alone that the writer trusts in and on the other hand, he warns you not to settle on what your heart tells you. What does it tell you? Some people's heart says to trust in what another person says and so in effect he or she becomes your master and you become his or her accomplice.

To add "own" there seems to encourage faith in not yourself (which isn't a bad thing to put faith in yourself) but in those of station (a very bad thing, imo).

I believe it does not matter whether the understanding is your own or someone else's. I trust in God instead.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Consider some supporting scriptures-I believe- that reinforces the word "own" in Proverbs 3:5: Psalms 146:3, 4; Proverbs 14:12; Isaiah 40:15; 47:17-19; Jeremiah 10:23.

I believe the lexicon said the word did not occur anywhere else but maybe it is a compound word made up of three words.