• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I CANNOT Believe in The Resurrection

John1.12

Free gift
It is for this 4 Gospels cannot do not qualify to be standard of any sorts.
Right?

Regards
No , why does Jesus writing something make it more trustworthy ? Wouldn't folks say HE made it up . Eye witness's testimonies are more trustworthy, rather than reading someone's OWN claims about themselves .That's why we have over 40 authors , 66 books , over 1500 years .

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No , why does Jesus writing something make it more trustworthy ? Wouldn't folks say HE made it up . Eye witness's testimonies are more trustworthy, rather than reading someone's OWN claims about themselves .That's why we have over 40 authors , 66 books , over 1500 years .
Very, very little of the Bible is eyewitness testimony. So why even bring it up. Quite a bit of it is made up.

alypius

Religious texts just tell stories, and often includes details that are not verifiable as being true.

If trustworthy testimony is a valid form of evidence in a court of law, could it be a valid form of evidence in religious claims?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If trustworthy testimony is a valid form of evidence in a court of law, could it be a valid form of evidence in religious claims?

What are you talking about? The least reliable legal evidence is eyewitness testimony. The Gospels are not eyewitness testimony, even according to the Bible. They are hearsay at best. And though not a formal legal standard you will find that in courts of law that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. What in the Bible qualifies for that standard?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
@Barry Johnson , instead of making fallacious claims about others you should ask why they hold those beliefs. My beliefs are evidence based. You may work on presupposition. Don't assume that others make that error.

John1.12

Free gift
What are you talking about? The least reliable legal evidence is eyewitness testimony. The Gospels are not eyewitness testimony, even according to the Bible. They are hearsay at best. And though not a formal legal standard you will find that in courts of law that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. What in the Bible qualifies for that standard?
So whats the criteria here ? What evidence is required here , please tell us ,what evidence is required for the case at hand here ? And which committee decided this ?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So whats the criteria here ? What evidence is required here , please tell us ,what evidence is required for the case at hand here ? And which committee decided this ?
Can you be specific? What claims are you talking about and what evidence do you think that you have.

And please stop the foolish committee questions. If you want an answer ask politely. Don't yell to the whole world that you are rude and ignorant.

John1.12

Free gift
Can you be specific? What claims are you talking about and what evidence do you think that you have.

And please stop the foolish committee questions. If you want an answer ask politely. Don't yell to the whole world that you are rude and ignorant.
For Jesus . For the death burial and resurrection? let's here the necessary ' evidence ' that would satisfy ? ( but let's remember the narrative at hand here , the date ,the place and the accounts themselves. )

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
For Jesus . For the death burial and resurrection? let's here the necessary ' evidence ' that would satisfy ? ( but let's remember the narrative at hand here , the date ,the place and the accounts themselves. )
The evidence for Jesus is not very strong at all. If you read and understood the Gospels you would know that they are not eyewitness testimony. They don't claim that. They were also written rather late. Paul was not an eyewitness. And claims of "visions" only make one question the sanity of the claimant.

John1.12

Free gift
You work almost totally on presupposition. There is only one needed for the sciences, but you probably do not know or understand it.
Yes this is the standard approach " you don't understand " " if you understood it ..blah blah I spent 40 years as a non believer . Tell me something I haven't heard or that I never used to say my self as an atheist?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes this is the standard approach " you don't understand " " if you understood it ..blah blah I spent 40 years as a non believer . Tell me something I haven't heard or that I never used to say my self as an atheist?
I offered to go over the basics so that you can begin to understand but that offer was rejected. When you refuse assistance don't complain when others point out your lack of understanding. Why didn't you ask what the presupposition is?

John1.12

Free gift
The evidence for Jesus is not very strong at all. If you read and understood the Gospels you would know that they are not eyewitness testimony. They don't claim that. They were also written rather late. Paul was not an eyewitness. And claims of "visions" only make one question the sanity of the claimant.
That's not what the bible says .2 peter 1

16¶For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

17For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

18And this voice which came from heaven we heard , when we were with him in the holy mount.

19¶We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

20Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

21For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.