• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I CANNOT Believe in The Resurrection

SeekingAllTruth

It's more an issue of me NOT believing what isn't rational.

The social science explain how people adopt the beliefs they are exposed to in their social experience. This is why there are so many religions that exist in geographical areas.

And there's nothing that suggests a God is doing anything for anyone. Look at 12 Step programs that rely heavily on religious attitudes, they often fail the addict. We see many children and innocent people in real need of a God intervening on their behalf, yet they are left to their fate. Plus given your attitudes that are rather indifferent to minorities I don't see God doing enough for your hardened heart. I'm not impressed by the work your God has done for you.

It's more likely you heard this from other believers and your ego found it really appealing, so you adopted these concepts. Of course you don't really know. But then I doubt you take Christianity all that seriously. If you did you'd be bending over backwards to follow the example and teachings of Jesus. I don't see you doing that.

Best response I've read in weeks. Everything you say is true, F1. There's no evidence God is doing anything in people's lives except in their minds. That's why this Elijah fellow can't claim God doing anything more in his life than making him feel good for believing in Jesus. Can he testify that God performed a physical miracle in his life that we can all witness??????

OF COURSE NOT!!

If Christians truly believed Jesus changed their lives they'd be out on the street corners shouting to the world about this wonderful experience they've received. But it's easier to just hop on a forum and type out how good they feel after believing in Jesus, isn't it? Ego stuff.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Sure I did. Did yiu?

"Despite its obvious benefits, the peer review method is not without its flaws. There have been quite a few issues with people committing peer review fraud over the years, and this is far from the only problem with peer review. In fact, there are numerous flaws, and as such, peer review has garnered a lot of criticism.

Interestingly enough, peer review itself hasn’t received much testing as to its efficacy, and so those that adhere to it do so out of the belief that it works as it should rather than any sort of empirical evidence thereof.

One pretty significant problem with peer review is that it may be prone to bias from the reviewers. Not only are women greatly underrepresented in the peer review process, but reviewers are much more likely to have a preference to work done by those that are the same gender as themselves. This is obviously a serious issue, especially when science already has a problem with sexism.

As if being subjected to fraud and biased reviewers wasn’t enough, some suggest that peer review might actually be stifling scientific advancement by rejecting valuable and impactful research."
Again you're citing an article that is pointing out there are some problems that exist in science. It doesn't;lt say all of science has this problem, therefore we can't trust science. That fraud gets discovered is how the process works. Ethics is very crucial to science. The USA is seeing more contempt for science and expertise. It's struggling to get adequate funding. Scientists are having to compete more for a limited pool of funding. The scientists who get caught are usually ousted. And women have been underrepresented in the sciences for cultural reasons.

So peer review works. Science needs more funding. It needs more respect from society. It needs to get more students involved, including women. Society needs to respect expertise, and stop applying cultural limits on women and minorities. And most of all, society needs to value ethics and honesty.

And you still do not understand it or how to avoid it.

One more time: What reasonable test could show your beliefs to be false? If you do not have one then you are working on confirmation bias and not rational thought.
Rational though is God showed up when I called and He healed me and your irrational thought is: Prove it and it try to psycho analyze when you have no idea what your talking about, like positive thinking could work, lol. Fact is I’m healed

We Never Know

No Slack
Again you're citing an article that is pointing out there are some problems that exist in science. It doesn't;lt say all of science has this problem, therefore we can't trust science. That fraud gets discovered is how the process works. Ethics is very crucial to science. The USA is seeing more contempt for science and expertise. It's struggling to get adequate funding. Scientists are having to compete more for a limited pool of funding. The scientists who get caught are usually ousted. And women have been underrepresented in the sciences for cultural reasons.

So peer review works. Science needs more funding. It needs more respect from society. It needs to get more students involved, including women. Society needs to respect expertise, and stop applying cultural limits on women and minorities. And most of all, society needs to value ethics and honesty.
Im pointing out that peer review isn't the golden thing it used to be. However people still act like it is golden without flaws because there is no alternative at the moment.

SeekingAllTruth

Do you know anything about 12 Step programs, why they work or don’t work? I do
You’re guessing at where people are or aren’t spiritually because you haven’t had an encounter with God yet.
I met God by myself in a room when I had nowhere else to turn and at the bottom, that’s when He shows up.
Like Jesus said only the sick person needs a physician, I did and He is that great and merciful to meet me at my lowest point in life.
I am truly touched by this testimony. Here's a case where religion saved a person from a potentially horrible fate. Your experience is real to you, that's what is important. It saved your life and that's all that counts. I believe people at the lowest point in their lives should turn to anything to lift them out of it. Your testimony is almost identical to my brother's. At the lowest point in his life in prison he found Jesus. He's now a model citizen. His belief in Jesus benefited him and society and his family. I apologize for any rude remarks previously. I did not know your circumstances.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Best response I've read in weeks. Everything you say is true, F1. There's no evidence God is doing anything in people's lives except in their minds. That's why this Elijah fellow can't claim God doing anything more in his life than making him feel good for believing in Jesus. Can he testify that God performed a physical miracle in his life that we can all witness??????

OF COURSE NOT!!

If Christians truly believed Jesus changed their lives they'd be out on the street corners shouting to the world about this wonderful experience they've received. But it's easier to just hop on a forum and type out how good they feel after believing in Jesus, isn't it? Ego stuff.
Yeah, I've said before to believers when they ask me what would convince me their God exists and their experiences are truthful: that I'd be really impressed if theists acted incredibly humble, wise, told the truth, were rooted in reality, cited facts, and most of all were very decent people advocating for the weak and victimized. I'd conclude they might have some sort of divine actor in their lives directing right choices and right action. But we don't. We see theists behave like anyone else, often worse than non-believers. It's a huge flaw in their own thinking that they disregard their own negative attitudes and actions on how non-believers see them.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Im pointing out that peer review isn't the golden thing it used to be. However people still act like it is golden without flaws because there is no alternative at the moment.
There are a few cases, it's not as if there's an institutional crisis. And again, it is cases of fraud that is the problem, not peer review itself. You seem intent to harm the reputation of science in your replies. If that's the case you are showing the very contempt for science I made reference to. This is largely an attitude by the Christian right.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am truly touched by this testimony. Here's a case where religion saved a person from a potentially horrible fate. Your experience is real to you, that's what is important. It saved your life and that's all that counts. I believe people at the lowest point in their lives should turn to anything to lift them out of it. Your testimony is almost identical to my brother's. At the lowest point in his life in prison he found Jesus. He's now a model citizen. His belief in Jesus benefited him and society and his family. I apologize for any rude remarks previously. I did not know your circumstances.

I have no problem with people that "found Jesus" for themselves. I have a brother that was not that bad, but was headed that way and religion gave him the structure that he needed. It is when they think that their answer is the only answer that it becomes a problem. They try to export their views on others, often to the harm of society. Then it is a problem.

My brother is not as bad as many. He is a creationist, but he tends to keep that to himself and his family. He is politically aware enough to know that Trump was a terrible President. In fact we both used to be Republicans for different reasons and Trump was the reason that we left the party. I worry about Christians that rely on Jesus for their cure. What happens if they realize that they were responsible for their improvement? Does it give them more confidence, as it should? Or can it lead to a relapse.

We Never Know

No Slack
There are a few cases, it's not as if there's an institutional crisis. And again, it is cases of fraud that is the problem, not peer review itself. You seem intent to harm the reputation of science in your replies. If that's the case you are showing the very contempt for science I made reference to. This is largely an attitude by the Christian right.

Its became corrupt over money, politics, favortism, sexism, etc.
As for christians, their attitude or what they think, I wouldn't know. But there are plenty here so you might ask one.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I think he is in conflict at times. Wanting to believe one thing and being forced to believe another.

We Never Know

No Slack
Yeah, I've said before to believers when they ask me what would convince me their God exists and their experiences are truthful: that I'd be really impressed if theists acted incredibly humble, wise, told the truth, were rooted in reality, cited facts, and most of all were very decent people advocating for the weak and victimized. I'd conclude they might have some sort of divine actor in their lives directing right choices and right action. But we don't. We see theists behave like anyone else, often worse than non-believers. It's a huge flaw in their own thinking that they disregard their own negative attitudes and actions on how non-believers see them.

Good and bad exists no matter of belief or non-belief in a god. Humans are the worst species on the planet when compared to others.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Its became corrupt over money, politics, favortism, sexism, etc.
As for christians, their attitude or what they think, I wouldn't know. But there are plenty here so you might ask one.
Money is more of a problem in the medical fields. Trust me, regular scientists are not getting rich. You will notice that most of the problems sited are in those fields. That is because as you pointed out money is a problem. "Rich" and "physicist" are terms that usually do not go together. Sexism has been a problem for a while, but it is improving. And politics in science? Maybe to a small degree. If you had asked why the problem is in the medical fields the answer would have been obvious. There is a lot of money from various pharmaceutical companies fueling the problem.

Thank-you for sharing that! All the best to your brother! How great!

F1fan

Veteran Member
Do you know anything about 12 Step programs, why they work or don’t work? I do
You’re guessing at where people are or aren’t spiritually because you haven’t had an encounter with God yet.
I met God by myself in a room when I had nowhere else to turn and at the bottom, that’s when He shows up.
Like Jesus said only the sick person needs a physician, I did and He is that great and merciful to meet me at my lowest point in life.
My background is psychology and we studied the efficacy of 12 Step programs quite a bit. It helps some people, but has a huge failure rate. My problem with it is how it exploits the weakness of people to get them past their problems. They end up not really overcoming their problems because their executive function is bypassed for an illusion of some divine proxy, a higher power.

And your own experience is pretty common. People hit bottom, see no way out, and they become attached to a theology where the person finds value because they're told a God values them. the self is still not valuing the self. the self becomes an aren for the God they believe exists, and they function as an actor in a very tenuous illusion. This religious illusion needs to be reinforced constantly. There's no room for growth or reconsideration. It is essentially a cage the prisoner volunteers to stay in. It offers no freedom from the ideology and illusion. The fear must be incredible. How does a believer so reliant, emotionally dependent, move on past this? The Christian believer is told they can;t trust themselves enough to be independent and self-sufficient.