• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I Am Not A Chiristian

DrM

Why did I leave Christianity and become a Deist? The answer is not simple, but I will try to give one. For one does not simply become a Deist when one was previously a member of a revealed religion, one must first have some experience which triggers Reason. Once Reason awakens, then the truth is known.

I was born into a protestant family. By the age of 22 I became a hard-core biblical reader and eventually entered seminary. I returned to my university in my late 20s because I had always wanted a degree in psychology; and figured it was time to do it.

Studying psychology leads one to critical thinking and reading; so I decided to examine the Bible in the same light as any other ancient writing -- believing that if God had endowed us with the use of Reason, then God intended us to use them.

Although I detested skeptics of the bible, I had to admit that at least on a textual level they were scoring some very good points – after all, since we no longer have the authors to talk to, the text was all there was to go on; and it was not too much to expect God's specially selected agents on earth to communicate the divine will clearly and with care.

Then one day I was reading the Bible and read in Ezek. 26 that YHWH swore that he would get Nebuchadnezzar to destroy Tyre so totally that the memory of the city would be lost to history. Right then and there I knew something was not adding up, Nebuchadnezzar has long been dead and Tyre is still around today! Later in chapter 29, I read something which totally ruined my faith in the Bible. Now YHWH is admitting that what he said in chapter 26 could not come to pass, so he was giving Nebuchadnezzar Egypt to plunder -- but that never happened either!

It is well documented historical fact that when Nebuchadnezzar tried to invade Egypt he suffered a serious defeat at the hands of Aahmes, Pharaoh of Egypt, and never attempted another invasion. At that point I remembered something written in the Torah and I Sam. Here are the quotes:

Deut. 18: 21-22, "21 And you may say in your heart, 'How shall we know the word which the Lord God has not spoken?' 22 When a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the Lord has not spoken ...." and,

Num. 23: 19, "19 God is not a man, that He should lie, nor a son of man, that He should repent: has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will not make it good?"

I Sam. 15: 29, "29 And also the Glory of Israel will not lie or change His mind; for He is not a man that He should change His mind."

This makes sense. God should be able to make a prophecy which would come true as worded; and his prophets can be expected to accurately and clearly transmit such prophecies to humanity. So it became obvious to me that the Book of Ezekiel was nothing more than a collection of false prophecy, written by who-knows-who. At that time I started to pay even more attention to the skeptics and recognized the Bible as “priest craft” [see the 2nd note at the bottom], not the writings of anyone inspired.

I discovered much to my dismay that all the prophets failed in every single prophecy they made at the literal level, not a single prophecy as worded ever came true anywhere in the Bible; the New Testament has an even poorer track record, it distorted those parts of the Tanakh [Jewish Bible] it did touch, ignored ALL the real messianic prophecies, invented unreliable prophecies which its authors claim Jesus fulfilled, and failed to even corroborate each other on the events of Jesus' life.

linwood

While not one to normally discourage anyone who puts Christianity to the test I find it odd that you used Passages from the Bible to justify the Biblical contradictions you previously found.

Thats a new one for me but hey..whatever works
:)

Welcome .

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
DrM -

I must say that you are one of the few (perhaps even first) Deist I have encountered. I'm getting older and I can't remember things all that well.

I find the position of believing in God based on rational thought as opposed to revealed faith very intriuging. I truly look forward to discussing this with you over time. Perhaps you have found things that I have not, that point you in the direction of God.

I'll start a thread called "Deism" so that we can discuss it.

By the way - do you know that your title to this thread "Why I Am Not a Christian" is also the title of a book by Sir Bertrand Russell? A fine book that examines why Russell ultimately rejected the teachings of the Catholic church that permeated British Society in his day.

Thanks,
TVOR

DrM

The Voice of Reason said:
DrM -

I must say that you are one of the few (perhaps even first) Deist I have encountered. I'm getting older and I can't remember things all that well.

I find the position of believing in God based on rational thought as opposed to revealed faith very intriuging. I truly look forward to discussing this with you over time. Perhaps you have found things that I have not, that point you in the direction of God.

I'll start a thread called "Deism" so that we can discuss it.

By the way - do you know that your title to this thread "Why I Am Not a Christian" is also the title of a book by Sir Bertrand Russell? A fine book that examines why Russell ultimately rejected the teachings of the Catholic church that permeated British Society in his day.

Thanks,
TVOR
Thank you and, I know that B. Russell published a book by this title. He was a professed athiest. Look forward to the thread!!

Lightkeeper

I see the Bible as the inward processes we go through on our spiritual paths. I don't take it literally. For example we have an inner virgin birth, a resurrection. We kill off parts of ourselves that get in the way of higher consciousness. We have births of new parts of ourselves. The Eternal is within. For me Christianity works if I take it inwardly.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Lightkeeper said:
I see the Bible as the inward processes we go through on our spiritual paths. I don't take it literally. For example we have an inner virgin birth, a resurrection. We kill off parts of ourselves that get in the way of higher consciousness. We have births of new parts of ourselves. The Eternal is within. For me Christianity works if I take it inwardly.
Lightkeeper - would you consider yourself a Deist?

TVOR

Telic 21

I must say that you are one of the few (perhaps even first) Deist I have encountered.
Count me as another. :) You might be surprised just how many of us are around.
I find the position of believing in God based on rational thought as opposed to revealed faith very intriuging.
Many of us Modern Deists consider rational thought only part of Reason. You need to include experience, intuition, and emotion to make the package complete.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Telic 21 said:
Count me as another. :) You might be surprised just how many of us are around.
Many of us Modern Deists consider rational thought only part of Reason. You need to include experience, intuition, and emotion to make the package complete.
All of a sudden, it seems as though you can't swing a dead cat on this site without hitting a Deist. :)

TVOR

Faust

All of a sudden, it seems as though you can't swing a dead cat on this site without hitting a Deist.
Ouch! hey watch where your swinging that cat buddy, I'm not a Deist!
DrM, I believe what you are doing when you read the bible in an objective manner is known as "Higher Criticism". There is also "Lower criticism" which has something to do with studying words and language but I'm a little foggy on this. (Lower does not mean less important in this instance.)

ThomasTN

While I can certainly see your reasoning regarding the issue of "Biblical inerrancy" I do not see how your argument moved you to the conclusion that the teachings of "the man Christ Jesus" (Ref. 1 Timothy 2:5) are somehow invalid and worthy of abandonment.:sarcastic

Being a Christian requires nothing more than embracing the teachings of Jesus and striving to apply those teachings to one's life.

Your post reminded me of a saying I heard not too long ago that says "If you’re looking for conspiracy you will find it."

I'm sorry but if a Christian’s belief is based solely upon the absolute validity of the Bible then I dare say that perhaps they are not "christian" but "Biblican".

Not preaching here but in Luke 10:25-28 Jesus makes clear what his teaching is and that being "Love God" & "Love your neighbor". Now we know that Jesus' perception of God was not quite like that of the religious elite of his own people and that he held a very anti-establishment position toward institutional religion.

I think that, all to often, many contemporary Deist make the mistake of "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" when it comes to being ( to some extent or another) anti-Christian based primarily upon their experiences with what has become "Christianity" and not upon the teachings of "the man Christ Jesus".

Obviously I feel that the teachings of Jesus Christ are not incompatible with Deism.
:rolleyes: