• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why have we not solved this problem yet?

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Instead of the pope piousuly denouncing birth control, adultery etc. thus furthering hunger, starvation and suffering around the world, the Catholic church should move into the 21st century and work towards family planning and population control, and reducing suffering.

Exactly,a good call:yes:

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
If you think of all the productive areas on earth, including the forests and oceans and think about the actual human biomass it should be simple to feed the world , I think some years ago the population could fit on a tiny island like the isle of white I think, this is probably like a couple of zebras with the whole savanah at there disposal or a sheep with all the pennine grassland.

(even deserts can be made fertile re the Kibbutz system, and with modern technology I bet we could grow in arctic regions, maybe greenhouses lit and heated via wind power)

No the Oceans are already overfished and the Forests are receding at an alarming rate but the Kibbutz system is a good idea.

Eddy Daze

whirling dervish
Yes the oceans are already overfished, but not to feed the starving , to profit and stockpile , same story with the forests

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Yes the oceans are already overfished, but not to feed the starving , to profit and stockpile , same story with the forests

There is a project to farm Cod here,Salmon and Bass are already farmed so it is possible,i watched a documentary about Fisherman in India,they catch plenty of Fish but there is no size limit,the French and Spanish do the same unfortunately.

Eddy Daze

whirling dervish
Farming , I am sure is the wrong way, think of a fishing community in the past , they would dry their surplus, not much waste there, now think of how much frozen fish gets dumped, plus how much dead gets thrown back, due to size laws and specific fish catches(eg shrimpers are only allowed to catch a certain amount of fish, so if their nets pull up a bumper load of fish they have to go back if over quota)

farming is unnatural in this case and just another way of non needed stockpiling

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
now think of how much frozen fish gets dumped
Yep. I know that there are some supermarkets that do not freeze food, for example. I find this disgusting. Having been in them before, after a few hours all you can smell is a warm fishy smell when you walk in the door. Lovely. :drool::no: Not only this, but it's also wasteful. I don't know why some people would think "I don't want food that's been frozen!"

Personally, I think that in the case with fish, they should be alive, in a tank and you choose the one you want and then they kill it and gut it for you. Much more economical. :angel2:

crystalonyx

We've spent almost a trillion dollars in Iraq in a war based upon lies. Think what that money could have been used for instead of bombs and bullets.

Eddy Daze

whirling dervish
Yep. I know that there are some supermarkets that do not freeze food, for example. I find this disgusting. Having been in them before, after a few hours all you can smell is a warm fishy smell when you walk in the door. Lovely. :drool::no: Not only this, but it's also wasteful. I don't know why some people would think "I don't want food that's been frozen!"

Personally, I think that in the case with fish, they should be alive, in a tank and you choose the one you want and then they kill it and gut it for you. Much more economical. :angel2:

I usually use fresh food and do not like the taste of frozen or canned anymore except canned tomatoes they are better than most fresh ones except vine toms, my local shop has stopped doing vine as he said they cost too much wholesale.This is the madness we are facing , vine last longer, and should be easier to harvest, one snip rather than about six plucks , so in theory should be the cheapest.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I usually use fresh food and do not like the taste of frozen or canned anymore except canned tomatoes they are better than most fresh ones except vine toms, my local shop has stopped doing vine as he said they cost too much wholesale.This is the madness we are facing , vine last longer, and should be easier to harvest, one snip rather than about six plucks , so in theory should be the cheapest.
Hmmm. But for the sake of meat, though... :D

I personally don't mind what things taste like. It all ends up the same. :cover:

Eddy Daze

whirling dervish
You're vegetarian? Good for you.
I wish I could be. :D

I have toyed with it on and off since I was about nine, stopping for periods of upto two years and now have been veggie for about fifteen years , thanx to a neighbour who gave me a Srila Prabhupada video, and on it he said "The reason they are maintaining these slaughter houses is to satisfy the taste buds" or something similar, that saying alone was enough to enlighten me to how selfish and hypocritical I was , enjoying meat while being critical of something like fox hunting for pleasure.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I have toyed with it on and off since I was about nine, stopping for periods of upto two years and now have been veggie for about fifteen years , thanx to a neighbour who gave me a Srila Prabhupada video, and on it he said "The reason they are maintaining these slaughter houses is to satisfy the taste buds" or something similar, that saying alone was enough to enlighten me to how selfish and hypocritical I was , enjoying meat while being critical of something like fox hunting for pleasure.
Good for you. :)
However - some countries like Wales, New Zealand, do not have enough land for farming - they are often hilly and the land is not ariable. What then, I've wondered.

I wish I could, I'm trying - but it's going slowly. :D

Eddy Daze

whirling dervish
Wales could trade fleeces for food.

Also i think if the Kibbutz system can turn desert into farmland then it is possible to do so anywhere

Eddy Daze

whirling dervish
With the supposed impending ice age coming upon us, that might work. :D

Desert into farmland? Oo, care to share more?

sorry dude not time to find a proper link but I have known people visit and work on them , and also had a decent link that is somewhere on this board.....also check out the bumper crops grown at "Findhorn" in the cool climate of Scotland

Oh, iceages , my own theory which I would like to develop is crustal movement so that over time every land mass has passed through the polar regions aswell as the polar regions expanding somewhat and receding.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

I, who is a great meat eater has discovered veggie dishes that i really like,Vegetable Curry which if i may say so is retaurant standard,Vegetable Stew,Soup and even Kebabs,
so there is hope for us all however i cannot find Mung beans palatable.:no:

Eddy Daze

whirling dervish
I, who is a great meat eater has discovered veggie dishes that i really like,Vegetable Curry which if i may say so is retaurant standard,Vegetable Stew,Soup and even Kebabs,
so there is hope for us all however i cannot find Mung beans palatable.:no:

I think they are supposed to be sprouted