• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why have we not solved this problem yet?

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Its 2009 for crying out loud , either scientifically or religiously or religo-scientifically this situation needs to be tackled more.

The world hunger problem: Facts, figures and statistics

Its terrible and ghastly but would it not be better if we Humans used birth control in the first place,the world is already overpopulated and our only predators are war,descease and hunger.
Some of you will be calling me all the names under the Sun but i don't want to see emaciated children either but we have to see the truth,we are outstripping our resources by a country mile and things will only get worse i'm afraid,i really wish it was'nt so.

.lava

Veteran Member
Its terrible and ghastly but would it not be better if we Humans used birth control in the first place,the world is already overpopulated and our only predators are war,descease and hunger.
Some of you will be calling me all the names under the Sun but i don't want to see emaciated children either but we have to see the truth,we are outstripping our resources by a country mile and things will only get worse i'm afraid,i really wish it was'nt so.

heh? if they were not born in the first place, they would not have died cos of hunger. you know England my my my lion heart, your logic is like cold shower sometimes.

imo there is a ethnic cleansing going on in Africa.

challupa

heh? if they were not born in the first place, they would not have died cos of hunger. you know England my my my lion heart, your logic is like cold shower sometimes.

While agree there needs to be more birth control I also agree with lava that there is an ethnic cleansing going on in Africa. We do need to drop our birth rate in the world. Our current rate is not sustainable. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't address the current issue which is clearly about power and being part of the wrong "group". I don't see this problem as limited to Africa though. I see the Middle East Conflict in much the same light. Two groups don't see the humanity in each other and have become so desensitized that they are able to kill each other to protect their "group" or "beliefs". Until humanity understands that we need to let go of the primitive belief that one group can hold more worth than another group, we will never see the fighting end. The only solution is to raise the consciousness of every human to the level where they see everyone as human and part of their "group" which is humanity.

challupa

That's terrible.

How about selling some of those missiles?
I think the answer probably should have been never creating those missles to start with. The money could have been better spent. However, we do have them so now what do we do? Selling them and using them just brings more hardship for someone somewhere. With missles that could be anywhere, even your own backyard. Then there would be starving in your neighborhood. Midnight Blue has a good question, to whom would you sell these missles?

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

Yes there is,and i do not mean to be cold about it,i wish the useless UN would do something about it and obviously it breaks my heart to see starving children but not all of Africa suffers from ethnic cleansing.
Birth control is not going to solve the problem and the problem isn't only in Africa but surely if you have children ,as i do,you plan for them knowing you can provide for them,i am all for giving what we can to help anyone but we should be giving condoms which some charities are doing already,i don't see it as cold,i see it as common sense.

.lava

Veteran Member
Yes there is,and i do not mean to be cold about it,i wish the useless UN would do something about it and obviously it breaks my heart to see starving children but not all of Africa suffers from ethnic cleansing.
Birth control is not going to solve the problem and the problem isn't only in Africa but surely if you have children ,as i do,you plan for them knowing you can provide for them,i am all for giving what we can to help anyone but we should be giving condoms which some charities are doing already,i don't see it as cold,i see it as common sense.

i was kidding you, not that i disagree with you. yes, you must be responsible about having kids but i personally do not think that real problem about children starving is about birth control. many fat people in Western nations, that is not less important than starving if you ask me. there is no balance in this world. all the money, all the food and everything is enough for everybody. there is enough food for all of us. noone has to starve. but there are people still starving to death while others are way too fat.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
i was kidding you, not that i disagree with you. yes, you must be responsible about having kids but i personally do not think that real problem about children starving is about birth control. many fat people in Western nations, that is not less important than starving if you ask me. there is no balance in this world. all the money, all the food and everything is enough for everybody. there is enough food for all of us. noone has to starve. but there are people still starving to death while others are way too fat.

I agree,if only there was a balance in the world.

challupa

I agree,if only there was a balance in the world.
I wrote a book about balance once. I agree, there is balance needed in our world. First though we need to recognize everyone as human and we need to bring back the now meaningless meaning of compassion. In this shrinking world our "tribe" is not people of one group or region, but the world and all humanity and species have to be defined as our "tribe". Then we would not be so reluctant to share with those we have defined as "not our problem" because they are not "one of us".

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I wrote a book about balance once. I agree, there is balance needed in our world. First though we need to recognize everyone as human and we need to bring back the now meaningless meaning of compassion. In this shrinking world our "tribe" is not people of one group or region, but the world and all humanity and species have to be defined as our "tribe". Then we would not be so reluctant to share with those we have defined as "not our problem" because they are not "one of us".

I seem to agree with you a lot,well done for writing a book,i've started many books but i never get past the first chapter,but i have co written a play.
Anyway back on track,in the EU for example there are at times an excess of food which is wrong when it could be sent to somewhere there is none.

.lava

Veteran Member

:clapnow you have one golden throne in my heart. i agree, one tribe with lots of colours and diversity.

strange that there is one guy who says that governments do not confess existence of aliens because in case they did, all societies in this world would realize, we were one tribe all along and an outside civilization would help us to perceive ourselves as one world nation and we would unite. off topic though.

challupa

I seem to agree with you a lot,well done for writing a book,i've started many books but i never get past the first chapter,but i have co written a play.
Anyway back on track,in the EU for example there are at times an excess of food which is wrong when it could be sent to somewhere there is none.
Congrats on the play. Yes here in Canada we too have plenty and we don't even share it most of the time with our own homeless. That seems real crazy to me. There is so much worry about people being sued if someone gets sick that restaurants throw the food out rather than taking it out to the streets where there are people trying to survive that would love to have it. Supermarkets are doing the same thing. Throwing food that is past prime in the garbage bins. There was a group here that tried to get people together that offered to pick up food from these places and distribute it among those who needed it. They had plenty of volunteers, but the businesses wouldn't allow it because of the possibility of lawsuits.:slap:

gnomon

The linked site is not very promising.

It lists the statistics of people suffering.

Not one solution nor, as this issue inevitably always ignores, the following:

1) Cultural conflicts: Polio vaccination has come to a halt in certain areas due to a mistrust, rightly earned, among some cultures against the vaccination program

2) Logistics. It doesn't matter one bit how much food is produced in the United States. There is going to be a cost to moving that food. It's that simple. Their is also going to be politics involved in moving that food and while the U.S. is the worlds leading food aid provider the methods involved are not in the best interests of those we aid.

3) Even more than logistics and culture. It's best represented by Somalia and Mogadishu when a band of warlords held and then ran out the world community. The warlords gave not one whit for the people who were dying. Somalia is once again facing famine. Their are pirates off the coast. The billions of tons of excess food do not mean anything without the will to do something about it. It seems Americans have forgotten the image of a soldier dragged through the streets of Mogadishu. In that instance, I think some groups will be glad of those missiles.:sarcastic

4) Religion. A tricky issue considering that Christian based missionaries do worlds of good in parts of the world regarding food, clean water, etc. However, along with that comes the baggage like Pentecostalism in Nigeria placing accusations of child witches. Whose ready to stand up and denounce the religion. The government of Nigeria has been slow to act. If their own government will not protect the children who will? An outside group? Scientists?

I'm not trying to be the naysayer but simplistic arguments such as military spending responsible for the lack of food aid worldwide is simply wrong. There are many more issues involved.

As the United States already involves itself through both private and government efforts in food aid then perhaps the U.S. government should revise it's methods to follow Europe and private groups in ending monetization programs on top of ending subsidies that are taken up by agribusiness in the States. Follow New Zealand. A more rational and less greedy approach to aid would help far more than simply diverting money from building ten stealth bombers. Which, by the way employed a large number of people and kept their families fed.

That and organizations need to make sure they do it right so that in places like Kenya when an outbreak of polio occurs after the vaccination program they are not accused of such things as "trying to sterilize Muslims.".

challupa

:clapnow you have one golden throne in my heart. i agree, one tribe with lots of colours and diversity.

strange that there is one guy who says that governments do not confess existence of aliens because in case they did, all societies in this world would realize, we were one tribe all along and an outside civilization would help us to perceive ourselves as one world nation and we would unite. off topic though.

Yes I bet you'd see the world unite pretty fast if we were attacked by hostile aliens. Might not do us any good, but we'd unite. Now back to topic.

challupa

The linked site is not very promising.

It lists the statistics of people suffering.

Not one solution nor, as this issue inevitably always ignores, the following:

1) Cultural conflicts: Polio vaccination has come to a halt in certain areas due to a mistrust, rightly earned, among some cultures against the vaccination program

2) Logistics. It doesn't matter one bit how much food is produced in the United States. There is going to be a cost to moving that food. It's that simple. Their is also going to be politics involved in moving that food and while the U.S. is the worlds leading food aid provider the methods involved are not in the best interests of those we aid.

3) Even more than logistics and culture. It's best represented by Somalia and Mogadishu when a band of warlords held and then ran out the world community. The warlords gave not one whit for the people who were dying. Somalia is once again facing famine. Their are pirates off the coast. The billions of tons of excess food do not mean anything without the will to do something about it. It seems Americans have forgotten the image of a soldier dragged through the streets of Mogadishu. In that instance, I think some groups will be glad of those missiles.:sarcastic

4) Religion. A tricky issue considering that Christian based missionaries do worlds of good in parts of the world regarding food, clean water, etc. However, along with that comes the baggage like Pentecostalism in Nigeria placing accusations of child witches. Whose ready to stand up and denounce the religion. The government of Nigeria has been slow to act. If their own government will not protect the children who will? An outside group? Scientists?

I'm not trying to be the naysayer but simplistic arguments such as military spending responsible for the lack of food aid worldwide is simply wrong. There are many more issues involved.

As the United States already involves itself through both private and government efforts in food aid then perhaps the U.S. government should revise it's methods to follow Europe and private groups in ending monetization programs on top of ending subsidies that are taken up by agribusiness in the States. Follow New Zealand. A more rational and less greedy approach to aid would help far more than simply diverting money from building ten stealth bombers. Which, by the way employed a large number of people and kept their families fed.

That and organizations need to make sure they do it right so that in places like Kenya when an outbreak of polio occurs after the vaccination program they are not accused of such things as "trying to sterilize Muslims.".
You're right, it is simplistic to say weapons money should be used on food. It is far more complex and I think you have covered that complexity well in your post. The solution is as complex as the problem.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Congrats on the play. Yes here in Canada we too have plenty and we don't even share it most of the time with our own homeless. That seems real crazy to me. There is so much worry about people being sued if someone gets sick that restaurants throw the food out rather than taking it out to the streets where there are people trying to survive that would love to have it. Supermarkets are doing the same thing. Throwing food that is past prime in the garbage bins. There was a group here that tried to get people together that offered to pick up food from these places and distribute it among those who needed it. They had plenty of volunteers, but the businesses wouldn't allow it because of the possibility of lawsuits.:slap:

My wife recently went to Chicago,while she was there she was in a restaurant and found that the portions of food was too much for her and said to another lady there it seems such a waste,the lady told her that most people who come to the restaurant get a doggy bag and give it to the homeless on the street,i suppose this way the restaurant cannot be held responsible.