• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why facts don't change your mind

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
What did he accuse others of doing again?
Many people are unwilling even to contemplate a shift in perspective which might result in them seeing things differently, if only for a moment.

So who does this apply to? Not really that meaningful if dissected, given it will likely apply to most of those with strong beliefs or even any beliefs - of any sort. And he is implying that he is above such.

Audie

Veteran Member
I do not think the Psychologist took the time to question their own foundation premises. It is easy to see this in others, than to see this in yourself. Psychology has so many orientations, it is like rational polytheism. This is not right but there is no push to become unified. Why wouldn't they question this? It is about market niche.

The approach I took was to look at the obscure science literature, that had anomalous but verified data, that the standard models, could not account for. For example, the BB could not account for galaxies appearing to form very fast and early in the BB. These accepted data were enough for me to get past clan bias. Developing alternatives, that did not have such ignore data, was the next stage, which was much harder to do.

Climate science ignore the latest data of the inner earth, which controls the geological dynamics of the earth that impacts the surface. One volcano from the mantle can alter climate or heat the oceans. Half baked is not good enough for me, but appears good enough for many who do not question but obey.
Do you question your own assumed status
as one who sees further and clearer than the
actual researchers?

RestlessSoul

Many people are unwilling even to contemplate a shift in perspective which might result in them seeing things differently, if only for a moment.

So who does this apply to? Not really that meaningful if dissected, given it will likely apply to most of those with strong beliefs or even any beliefs - of any sort. And he is implying that he is above such.

I’m implying, or you’re assuming?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
So who does this apply to?
People are unwilling even to contemplate a shift in perspective which might result in them seeing things differently, if only for a moment?

Not really that meaningful if dissected, given it will likely apply to most of those with strong beliefs or even any beliefs - of any sort. And he is implying that he is above such.
Nope. You inferred that. You made an assumption based on you own personal perspective.

I won’t speak for @RestlessSoul, but I don’t think he was implying anything behind what he said. If he wanted to relay that he was above such, based on my previous interactions with him, I think he probably would have just come out and said it.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
People are unwilling even to contemplate a shift in perspective which might result in them seeing things differently, if only for a moment?

Nope. You inferred that. You made an assumption based on you own personal perspective.

I won’t speak for @RestlessSoul, but I don’t think he was implying anything behind what he said. If he wanted to relay that he was above such, based on my previous interactions with him, I think he probably would have just come out and said it.
Sorry, but to me this was implied by his statement - that such didn't apply to him.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Feel free to make that assumption, if you think it appropriate.
It's nit an assumption. You're a human. This means you make errors, from at least time to time, in various areas of cognition.
Or do you think you have a better brain in yiur head than Einstein?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It's nit an assumption. You're a human. This means you make errors, from at least time to time, in various areas of cognition.
Or do you think you have a better brain in yiur head than Einstein?
Speaking of errors...

Are you wanting to join in on the same on that was just made and corrected?

I mean, we are reading the same thread, yes?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Speaking of errors...

Are you wanting to join in on the same on that was just made and corrected?

I mean, we are reading the same thread, yes?
"Many people." It's something we all do. And we even have polls where people have clearly over estimated their own positions while under estimating the human condition, like the thread asking about our beliefs based on evidence and logic and some people on the poll selected all their beliefs are. No, not sorry, that's just not how people work.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
"Many people." It's something we all do. And we even have polls where people have clearly over estimated their own positions while under estimating the human condition, like the thread asking about our beliefs based on evidence and logic and some people on the poll selected all their beliefs are. No, not sorry, that's just not how people work.
You have no way of knowing "we all do," so I'll thank you to not make such a sweeping generalization without having met each and every person on the planet. It's quite an arrogant generalization for one that's suggesting another member made an arrogant claim. You simply cannot speak intelligently about how all people work.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You have no way of knowing "we all do," so I'll thank you to not make such a sweeping generalization without having met each and every person on the planet. It's quite an arrogant generalization for one that's suggesting another member made an arrogant claim. You simply cannot speak intelligently about how all people work.
Yes, we all do. The human brain misremembers things, it misinterprets stimuli, and it definitely resists information that makes it uncomfortable. Of course some are better at correcting these autobiases than others, but only the dead are free of the cognitive biases and errors (many of them unconscious) that are a normal feature of the human brain that do happen to us all (it's basic human psychology).

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, we all do. The human brain misremembers things, it misinterprets stimuli, and it definitely resists information that makes it uncomfortable. Of course some are better at correcting these autobiases than others, but only the dead are free of the cognitive biases and errors (many of them unconscious) that are a normal feature of the human brain that do happen to us all (it's basic human psychology).
Again, you have no way of knowing that. But believe what you will. I have no interest in going back and forth with you on this. I merely take exception to members who presume to speak intelligently about knowing another member's intent based on an assumption resulting from that member's inference.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Again, you have no way of knowing that. But believe what you will. I have no interest in going back and forth with you on this. I merely take exception to members who presume to speak intelligently about knowing another member's intent based on an assumption resulting from that member's inference.
It's called human psychology. That's how we know that.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I do not think the Psychologist took the time to question their own foundation premises. It is easy to see this in others, than to see this in yourself. Psychology has so many orientations, it is like rational polytheism. This is not right but there is no push to become unified. Why wouldn't they question this? It is about market niche.

The approach I took was to look at the obscure science literature, that had anomalous but verified data, that the standard models, could not account for. For example, the BB could not account for galaxies appearing to form very fast and early in the BB. These accepted data were enough for me to get past clan bias. Developing alternatives, that did not have such ignore data, was the next stage, which was much harder to do.

Climate science ignore the latest data of the inner earth, which controls the geological dynamics of the earth that impacts the surface. One volcano from the mantle can alter climate or heat the oceans. Half baked is not good enough for me, but appears good enough for many who do not question but obey.
This doesn't seem related to the OP either.
Did you read the article? What's your summary opinion of it?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Because certainties are often fragile and help people live better.
So abandoning them can be devastating.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe many do. But not all. ;)
Not sure about that. I think some humans are very good at explicitly considering alternative opinions to their own, which is perhaps what you mean. But no one is immune to cognitive dissonance, and to think one is would be a major risk factor in struggling with it.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Not sure about that. I think some humans are very good at explicitly considering alternative opinions to their own, which is perhaps what you mean. But no one is immune to cognitive dissonance, and to think one is would be a major risk factor in struggling with it.
It's cultural.
In my country there is a word, doublestandardism.
And being accused of doublestandardism is something people avoid, no matter the cost.
So they try to apply the same standards to every aspect of their own life, and the other people's life.

Which results in acknowledging "I was wrong".
My country can look like a madhouse...but at the end of the heated discussions, they all say: sorry, I was wrong.
:)