• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't you want to proselytise your religion?

Erebus

This is a thread for all of you who just couldn't give a damn about getting people to convert to your way of thinking. Why don't you proselytise, especially if you feel you've learned some form of truth? Why is it that you don't knock on strangers' doors to tell them the good news? Why might you even go so far as to be secretive about your religion in day to day life?

For me it largely boils down to one simple question: Why should I bother? I couldn't care less what people want to believe or disbelieve as long as they don't bother me with it and I look to extend them the same courtesy/apathy.
Furthermore, not many people would want to join my religion, it's not called "Demonolatry" in an attempt to appeal to the masses :D

Awoon

I have been accused of proselytising.

But I would say any comment from any poster is proselytizing.

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
I am happy to talk to anybody about my beliefs but I don't proselytize because I don't think mine is the only valid way. I also think everyone has to find their own way.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Because I'm not even sure if I have a religion.

That and if everyone thought the same things I did, how boring would that be?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Christianity and Islam are the only two religions which have historically proselytized and/or forced conversions to them. Mainly because their scriptures instruct them to go out and seek converts and disciples. Most other religions have no such instructions, yet they'll accept converts.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sufficient knowledge of every religion is readily available to anyone on the planet who can read, and especially to anyone who owns a computer.

Sometimes I just want to join the Canadian majority who keep religion as something very personal, and part of their own lives, instead of trying to push it on others. I myself am starting to sit on the fence of my own religious backgrounds, so how can I myself be the harbringer of Krishna's Names, if I myself am constantly doubting here and there?

Despite the amount of Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Hare Krishnas, some Muslims with book tables, and evangelical Christian pamphlets, most Canadians don't preach or proselytise their religion, if they even HAVE a religion. And even if they do, they interpret it very personally, and it becomes an inward form of spiritual confirmation, rather than something practiced congregationally.

Flankerl

Because we dont think that everyone needs to be like us to have a nice day with god.

Thats about it. Personally i would be a bad missionary because i just dont give damn.

arthra

Baha'i
Yeah I think proselytizing is sort of like hard sell sales.. I used to have a friend..note I say "used to" who told me his Dad had started a chapter of what he called the "sky pilots".. You convert to Christianity someone and get a star..anyway this friend later became an encyclopedia salesman..

He came to my house once and offered to show me his talents.. So I agreed.. After about half an hour I said alright that's enough.. After another half hour I said O.K. that's more than enough..friend or not I want you to stop..He kept at it awhile longer and I edged toward the door.. anyway that's an extreme example.

Years later I heard my friend had sold a children's encyclopedia to a poor family with a handicapped child.

Another example.. A guy was selling Amway and Christianity on the job.. We'd go to lunch and he'd be on the waitress.. or on our clients..eventually he was fired.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Why don't you proselytise, especially if you feel you've learned some form of truth?
Not everyone is cut out to be as awesome as me. It'd be unfair to get their hopes up into thinking they could be.

Why is it that you don't knock on strangers' doors to tell them the good news? Why might you even go so far as to be secretive about your religion in day to day life?
I'm just too lazy to tell people. They'll get there in the end. :D

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
When a JW collars me on the doorstep I feel embarrassed and also think it is an arrogant behavior to persist in, once the offer has been politely declined. I would therefore never be the perpetrator of such behavior.

darkstar

I don't believe my religion is for everyone. There are many who are following my religion, and it is high on the list of religions that are attracting followers. There is no need to try and convince others.

If someone comes to me asking questions, I try to help. But I refuse to go looking for people to try and convert them.

Besides, these are MY beliefs. If I were the only one in the world that believed them, it makes it no less valid to me. I don't need to have millions of people believing what I do in order to feel comfortable. So why waste time preaching to people, most of which don't want to hear it in the first place.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I applaud them for walking the talk.

Maybe I can applaud a short stroll with them, but short of being rude they want to take you on an enforced marathon! Unsurprisingly, an ex-JW told me they have training in sales-type techniques. If I want to buy, I'll go to the shop. If the shop comes to me it's an intrusion IMO.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I myself am starting to sit on the fence of my own religious backgrounds, so how can I myself be the harbringer of Krishna's Names, if I myself am constantly doubting here and there?

I've got a humdinger of a post in "our" forum about that sort of thing.