• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't you want to proselytise your religion?

This is a thread for all of you who just couldn't give a damn about getting people to convert to your way of thinking. Why don't you proselytise, especially if you feel you've learned some form of truth? Why is it that you don't knock on strangers' doors to tell them the good news? Why might you even go so far as to be secretive about your religion in day to day life?

For me it largely boils down to one simple question: Why should I bother? I couldn't care less what people want to believe or disbelieve as long as they don't bother me with it and I look to extend them the same courtesy/apathy.
Furthermore, not many people would want to join my religion, it's not called "Demonolatry" in an attempt to appeal to the masses :D

It's rude IMO to begin with. And I agree with youy completely on evertything else.
I work in a high school so I keep my beliefs to myself. The kids would probably be ok with it but they don't sign my paycheck.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Because I really don't care what others believe. All that's important to me is that we all get along relatively well and don't around killing each other.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I applaud them for walking the talk.
I used to think that, but then after reflecting on it a bit, I realized that if I had to choose whether people were considerate to other people or consistent with their beliefs, I'd prefer they were considerate.

Because I know most people are not interested in Islam. And anyways, talking about religion tends to upset people...If someone asks about my religion though, of course I will tell them. The best way to show people what your religion is about is just to be a good example.
Does that really work, though?

I think there are good people in just about every religion, all being good examples. When taken altogether, I think the message is that religion doesn't have much if any bearing on whether a person is good or not.

My religion of Ising has no proselytization, all humans are members and participating in it now.
That sounds rather presumptive. I'd rather you didn't try to speak for me, thanks.

Awoon

I used to think that, but then after reflecting on it a bit, I realized that if I had to choose whether people were considerate to other people or consistent with their beliefs, I'd prefer they were considerate.

Does that really work, though?

I think there are good people in just about every religion, all being good examples. When taken altogether, I think the message is that religion doesn't have much if any bearing on whether a person is good or not.

That sounds rather presumptive. I'd rather you didn't try to speak for me, thanks.

So yer not Ising? Must be some kind of new life form.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Because I can think of few things more full of crass impudence than to go about thinking that I have a monopoly on truth, and that it somehow will behoove me to intrude myself on the lives of others and dictate to them how they ought to live, and what they ought to believe, and how they ought to relate to God.

I have always been proud of the fact that Judaism has always been clear on Torah being for Jews, and Jews being discouraged from going about thinking that the spiritual affairs of non-Jews are any business of ours. If God took care of those issues with us, He is surely perfectly capable of taking care of those issues with other nations and other groups, all by Himself.

And if it should come to pass that any non-Jews become interested in becoming a part of Judaism, fine, they can seek out teachers of Torah and investigate conversion. But it is a very fine thing in my opinion that you will never see Jews out bothering non-Jews on the streets, or knocking on the doors of non-Jews, or trying to foist Jewish opinions on poor non-Jews who just want to get on with their lives. We may have our fair share of difficulties with which to grapple, but at least we have not sunk to that kind of behavior.

Awoon

Because I can think of few things more full of crass impudence than to go about thinking that I have a monopoly on truth, and that it somehow will behoove me to intrude myself on the lives of others and dictate to them how they ought to live, and what they ought to believe, and how they ought to relate to God.

I have always been proud of the fact that Judaism has always been clear on Torah being for Jews, and Jews being discouraged from going about thinking that the spiritual affairs of non-Jews are any business of ours. If God took care of those issues with us, He is surely perfectly capable of taking care of those issues with other nations and other groups, all by Himself.

And if it should come to pass that any non-Jews become interested in becoming a part of Judaism, fine, they can seek out teachers of Torah and investigate conversion. But it is a very fine thing in my opinion that you will never see Jews out bothering non-Jews on the streets, or knocking on the doors of non-Jews, or trying to foist Jewish opinions on poor non-Jews who just want to get on with their lives. We may have our fair share of difficulties with which to grapple, but at least we have not sunk to that kind of behavior.

Excellant. My lawyer is a Jew. I've been to synagogue with him, enjoyed the Seder at his home. I enjoy his religion very much.

But he has never tried to get me to join.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Well, there's many reasons.

I don't really care if someone believes differently than me, we're different people. Why shouldn't we believe differently?

I find it rude and presumptuous to inflict your beliefs upon another as if you have all the answers. It's condescending in my view.

In my belief different religions and paths of faith are necessary for I believe in reincarnation. That we have lessons to learn from, wisdom to gain. All paths bring different knowledge. To try to mess with a person's path is to try to derail their lesson.

Differences are what makes life interesting and worth living. If we all were the same, how uninteresting and dull would life be? Our differences, including our differences in our beliefs, is what makes us...us. What sets us apart. What makes each other worth getting to know. I'd honestly find it pretty boring if everyone believed exactly as I do. New and different realms of thought is what keeps our minds active. I'd like to keep it that way.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Because eventually they´ll reincarnate enough times for them to be as smart and spiritualy advanced as me :p

(thanks goodness I am overwhelmingly humble as well, this might have sound bad otherwise :eek: )

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Its crowded enough in the Dog and Duck Pub without getting more people to go there,i'd hate it if the Bar was 3 or 4 deep and have to wait for a Pint :p