• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't you believe in God/s?

nPeace

Veteran Member
What need for time travel?
If you come home from work and find a sink full of dishes, do you need time travel to know that someone fixed a meal without cleaning up?
In fact, being familiar with your household you could probably figure out at a glance who, what and about when it happened. And then infer a whole bunch of other stuff. Because inference is a powerful tool for sorting out the reality. We do it all the time. More often really than direct observation.
COOL! Good reasoning bro!
So I walked through the forest and I find a nice looking wooden house. When I go inside, I find the table packed with what looks like delicious fruit. One bite tells me I'm right. The fridge - Wait! There's a fridge, in a forest? It's working too!
Man! Nature sure knows how to satisfy itself!
A stack of wood built itself into a cozy home, and filled itself with just about everything needed to satisfy.............
me
;)
Sounds a lot like our planet - built just right, and with everything needed to satisfy............. man.
:(

I infer the earth was built by someone, with intent and purpose, to satisfy him... and he was built to be satisfied with what was built for... him.
:dizzy: Now I 'm beginning to sound confusing.
Being familiar with the fact that it takes a mind and intelligence to do this, what other logical conclusion can they be?:)

You don't need to.
We both probably believe that a clear daytime sky on earth is always blue.

We don't need to observe the sky from every point on earth at the same time to have a solid belief about that. We can infer it, partly based on our own observations but also the complete lack of evidence that it's ever been another color, for all of human history.

Of course, we couldn't prove that to someone who prefers to believe differently. Because to the extent that someone's worldview is based on preference (Faith), rather than evidence and reason (Knowledge), they could believe almost anything.

No matter how wrong it is.
Tom
I agree... totally.:D

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Atheists, what caused you to stop believing? Or for those who never believed, why not?
Since I discovered Raelism in 2007, there has only been about 6 days or so when I believed in God. It is just so powerful of an argument. In the free ebook/$20 book "Intelligent Design: Message from the Designers" by Rael, it explains this in detail. No God and no Soul. I am very sure about it.

nPeace

Veteran Member
They are proposed explanations or syntheses. Scientific hypotheses are based on facts, observations and reason.
I suppose you mean a scientific fact. A fact doesn't change - here today gone tomorrow.

noun
plural noun: hypotheses
  1. a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation.
    "professional astronomers attacked him for popularizing an unconfirmed hypothesis"
    synonyms: theory, theorem, thesis, conjecture, supposition, postulation, postulate, proposition, premise, assumption; More

• PHILOSOPHY
      a proposition made as a basis for reasoning, without any assumption of its truth.
Evidence in science is subject to change.
They are ideas proposed by men, not established facts.
supposition
an uncertain belief.
"they were working on the supposition that his death was murder"
synonyms: belief, surmise, idea, notion, suspicion, conjecture, speculation, inference, theory, hypothesis, postulation, guess, feeling, hunch, assumption, presumption
"her supposition is based on previous results"

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Exactly what I'm saying. Some folks have a need for this concept of "being and becoming" to feel fulfilled I guess. However just because spiritual spokesperson says it's a common uh "motivation I suppose", doesn't mean that it is. Maybe it's a real "motivation" for some or maybe some have just been convinced it's a motivation they should have.
It's interesting how you see this as a "concept". I've encountered this perception multiple times in my interactions with people in online discussions about things like spirituality, God, Enlightenment, etc., where it is viewed as only residing in people's conceptual frameworks. That fascinates me actually, as I've taken the experience of these things almost as a given of reality, on some level or another within most individuals.

What I'm saying is that for me these are not conceptual, but rather descriptions of actual experienced reality by those who use such terms as "being and becoming". It very aptly describes actual lived experience for me, and to have that viewed as being a conceptual framework of reality in how I hold that for myself, is very and oddly foreign to me. It's like saying my lungs I breathe with are a concept to me. To me, the struggle is more for the most aptly, and possibly poetic way to describe these things. Not everyone starts from speculations. Some start from experience and work their way out from there.

But to your point, no not everyone will hear it and respond to it from the same place. Many will conceptualize it as a placeholder, if you will, that they look to with their minds. Granted, that is not uncommon at all. But I'm not sure what the concern is about motives in this discussion? Of course people are motivated to seek God, and yes, for them the need to get something they lack spiritually, and by that I mean the complete fulfillment of their lives, is what gets the ball in motion. Once they have actually drunk of that cup and experienced that fulfillment, then their lives move from a different motivation, which is to give and create and be.

And to add, what I just said is a description of what is experienced, by many. These things were actually researched, if you aren't familiar with Maslow, et al. They aren't just high and lofty spirit-speak, if you imagine that.

Ok, but if you're not "seeking" in the first place it shouldn't be a problem right?
Haha! Yes, there is always that response. I like to say that just slumping back into the couch with a beer and doing nothing is not what is meant by "not seeking". One is actually motivated, but eventually we quit trying to make it happen by doing. We are motivated enough to "quit trying". Think of it like riding a bicycle. You don't think about taking your hands of the handle bars, you simply feel it and do it. You don't "try" to ride like that. You let go and do. That is what is meant by "don't seek", not be a lazy couch potato turning our brains and bodies into oatmeal. :)

Sure, but these desires are then replaced by other desires, or motivations as you like to call them. You class some motivations as higher, some as lower. If that helps provide you some insight on how you believe things to work, that's ok.
It's how the research has studied and mapped these things out. And yes, this data is helpful. That's why I like sharing it for others who care to look at what we have learned in these areas. I've already given you Maslow. I could give you some more well-respected names if you'd like?

I don't see much need to seperate them out like that myself. A motivation is a motivation, if they happen to change they do and you move forward with the new motivations.
That's an unfortunately limiting view. I think if you look into the research you'll see it's not quite so block-like.

Ok, but you're assuming there is a necessity to change from "deficiency" motivations to "abundance" motivations.
I did not say that. I'm say that when that happens, that happens as a shift of the state of one's person. Once all the deficiencies are fulfilled, then the self-actualized individual, and you can reference that here for more info Self-actualization - Wikipedia, has "needs" as well, but the basis of the needs has shifted. These things are seen in other developmental models that researchers show in their respective lines of investigation, such as the stages of faith development by James Fowler, stages of moral development by Lawrence Kohlberg, Jane Loevinger's stages of ego development, etc.

I don't really see a need for the classification other than some folks feel there's a need to seperate the motivations they themselves see as spiritual from those they don't.
One doesn't need a car, but having one makes it a lot easier to navigate the countryside. :) But speaking of motives.... you seem to ascribe ego motives to these researchers, "wanting to see themselves as spiritual"? Isn't that like the creationist seeing scientists who map out how evolution unfolds the species of life on this planet as being motivated by their atheism and hatred of religion? I say the data is the data, and leave that ascribing some weak ulterior motivations to the researchers distraction elsewhere.

One view I suppose you are championing, is the way to deal with motivations is to replace them with motivations you consider more "spiritual"?
Nope. I say look at what motivates us, and it is important to understand that as to examine ourselves. The goal is personal growth, not "feeling superior to others and thinking of ourselves as more spiritual than others...," and all that childishness. The competition is ourselves, and the goal is to realize the fulness of ourselves in our life. The reason, the motive behind this is hard to actually describe. To touch the face of the sun which gives us life?

Now, you may try to imagine that's about everyone's ego or something so cynical as that, and for some the spiritual ego can be a real trap, but at a certain point none of that matters and more and is let go of, and something shifts. It's beyond ego at that point. As the saying goes from Zen, I believe, you have thoughts, but you are not your thoughts. you have a body, but you are not your body," and you have an ego, but you are not your ego. People who are here, care not one stitch about impressing anyone. They just simply are who and what they truly are and see only love as they see others, not a competition of the ego for the sake of self-identity.

Ok that's fine but I see it more as a personal prerogative than necessity. You feel you are better off with whatever you feel are the correct motivations it's not for me to say otherwise. I just don't see where these "correct" motivations are anymore correct or have to be correct for anyone else. In my case I just see them as more motivations to move things along. No need to classify them as being necessarily the correct motivations for anyone else.
You completely supplied this "correct motive" stuff to me. Why is that? What is t you assume others are expecting?

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
YES! You are beginning to understand. Science changes and is proud of that. It's called advancement. The mobile phone I had 20 years ago is nothing like the one I now use.

That is why ancient religious texts are rubbish, they don't change, they become dogma.

nPeace

Veteran Member
YES! You are beginning to understand. Science changes and is proud of that. It's called advancement. The mobile phone I had 20 years ago is nothing like the one I now use.

That is why ancient religious texts are rubbish, they don't change, they become dogma.
I don't know what you mean by
beginning to understand
, but I understand that that seems to be something that atheist tend to do. Maybe it's an ego thing, at least it appears that way to me.

Things that don't change are absolute. Truth is absolute. It can't change. We change our thinking and understand to fit what is factual or truthful. That seems to me a clear evidence that the Bible is in truth and in fact from the creator - the absolute ultimate.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I don't know what you mean by , but I understand that that seems to be something that atheist tend to do. Maybe it's an ego thing, at least it appears that way to me.
Nothing to do with egos. just advancement as we learn more about this universe we have been lucky enough to live in for a short period.

Things that don't change are absolute. Truth is absolute. It can't change. We change our thinking and understand to fit what is factual or truthful. That seems to me a clear evidence that the Bible is in truth and in fact from the creator - the absolute ultimate.
Things that don't change may also be very wrong.
There are so many contradictions, misinformation and downright falsehoods in the Bible that it cannot possibly be true.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I suppose you mean a scientific fact. A fact doesn't change - here today gone tomorrow.

noun
plural noun: hypotheses
  1. a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation.
    "professional astronomers attacked him for popularizing an unconfirmed hypothesis"
    synonyms: theory, theorem, thesis, conjecture, supposition, postulation, postulate, proposition, premise, assumption; More
    • PHILOSOPHY
      a proposition made as a basis for reasoning, without any assumption of its truth.
supposition
an uncertain belief.
The 'facts' I speak of are undisputed observations. Observations may be clarified, or added to, but they remain real observations. Science attempts to fit these puzzle pieces into a bigger picture.
A hypothesis is an educated guess at how these pieces relate to one another. Science tests hypotheses. As evidence accumulates and all attempts to falsify it fail, it may rise to science' highest level of confidence -- a theory.

Science actively attempts to falsify, disprove or find problems with hypotheses; it throws them out to others for criticism, it tests them experimentally. When an error is found or the hypothesis doesn't pan out, it's not a failure of science; it's a clarification, an addition. The hypothesis is altered accordingly and retested.

When all attempts to falsify it fail; when all objections are satisfied, when all predictions based on it prove true, it becomes a theory -- but everything in science is provisional. Scientists are always open to new evidence, eager to discover errors and ready to change their opinions.

None of this happens in religion. Religion not a research modality. Religion is apologetic, it resists testing, nor are its assertions based on either testing or prediction. Religion does not seek truth. It defends an axiomatic dogma.

"they were working on the supposition that his death was murder"
synonyms: belief, surmise, idea, notion, suspicion, conjecture, speculation, inference, theory, hypothesis, postulation, guess, feeling, hunch, assumption, presumption
"her supposition is based on previous results"
Keep in mind, when a scientist uses terms like hypothesis or theory, he's not using them in the colloquial sense. These are technical terms, with precise meanings.

Good point. Even when translation, factual or copy errors are well known, the religious stand by them, attempt to justify them and, most telling, make no corrections in their Book.
This would never happen in any sincere quest for truth.
I don't know what you mean by [beginning to understand], but I understand that that seems to be something that atheist tend to do. Maybe it's an ego thing, at least it appears that way to me.
What does atheism have to do with any of this?
Science seeks evidence and more evidence. It tests evidence -- it attempts to find errors and to disprove it. It wants evidence to be true and reliable. It draws provisional conclusions from the evidence -- then tests the conclusions.
Thus, scientific truth is more reliable than religious truth. Religious truth is never tested, and when errors are found, they're swept under the rug.

Things that don't change are absolute. Truth is absolute. It can't change. We change our thinking and understand to fit what is factual or truthful.
Exactly. Now you're beginning to understand. Unchanging truth is exactly what science attempts do discover, it's a research modality, and, as such, is much more reliable than untested religious mythology.

It's science that believes truth is absolute and unchanging. Religion believes it's capricious and malleable. It believes God reaches down and tweaks these 'unchanging laws' to achieve desired ends. He meddles. He effects miracles. Pi may be 3.14... one moment and 2.99 the next. something may weigh one kilo one moment and two the next. Toss a ball into the air and it may accelerate into the sky rather than falling back to Earth. Guiding, creating and 'causing' entail changing the 'unchanging'.
Science believes in stability and absolutes. Religion, in capriciousness and magical interventions.
That seems to me a clear evidence that the Bible is in truth and in fact from the creator - the absolute ultimate.
I don't follow. How is an untested assertion evidence of anything?
The Quran claims absolute, unchanging truth, The Vedas claim it, Norse mythology claims it -- yet they disagree. Without testing, belief/faith in any of these would be foolish and illogical. What makes the Bible's claim of absolute truth more reliable than the Quran's? Neither tests its claims.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Things that don't change are absolute.
But everything changes. So no "thing" is absolute. Can you name one thing that has or never will change? And don't say "God" since God is not a "thing".

Truth is absolute. It can't change. We change our thinking and understand to fit what is factual or truthful.
Truth is a matter of what we think is true. It is based on our perceptions and the contexts within which we perceive. Change the contexts, change the truth of what we observe. Truth is relative, not absolute.

That seems to me a clear evidence that the Bible is in truth and in fact from the creator - the absolute ultimate.
And yet the truths of what people understand about this have and do change constantly. That is the reality of this.

Even if one manages to read the evidence in such as way as to make the Bible a product of miraculous conception and birth, flawless and perfect in every imaginable way that no one in their right mind could find errors in, the reading and interpretation of it is still dependent upon the reader of it and the contexts from which they are reading it.

So in practical application, the Bible is in fact a relative truth. If you disagree, then how do you propose humans bypass their own limited thoughts based on limited perceptions, even if they are staring straight into the face of Perfection itself? State your views as absolute and claim a miracle?

Last edited:

Bob the Unbeliever

I don't know what you mean by , but I understand that that seems to be something that atheist tend to do. Maybe it's an ego thing, at least it appears that way to me.

Truth is "absolute"?

Really?

The bible describes the earth as a flat plate, set upon 4 pillars, with a crystal dome-sky that has holes-in, to permit rains through.

This was, at one time, Absolute Truth.

Then? It wasn't .

The bible describes the sun as going around the flat earth-- indeed, it also claims the sun could be stopped in the sky at a whim, with nary a consequence to the people on earth.

That was, at one time, Absolute Truth.

Then? It wasn't.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

nPeace

Veteran Member
The 'facts' I speak of are undisputed observations. Observations may be clarified, or added to, but they remain real observations. Science attempts to fit these puzzle pieces into a bigger picture.
Repeat - Scientific fact.

A hypothesis is an educated guess at how these pieces relate to one another. Science tests hypotheses. As evidence accumulates and all attempts to falsify it fail, it may rise to science' highest level of confidence -- a theory.
It doesn't matter how you try to put it, it is still what it is.
Repeat - an uncertain belief. They are still the ideas of men - a set of beliefs.
All I said was, based on what you said - this would fall under the category of religion... based on what you said.

Science actively attempts to falsify, disprove or find problems with hypotheses; it throws them out to others for criticism, it tests them experimentally. When an error is found or the hypothesis doesn't pan out, it's not a failure of science; it's a clarification, an addition. The hypothesis is altered accordingly and retested.
When all attempts to falsify it fail; when all objections are satisfied, when all predictions based on it prove true, it becomes a theory -- but everything in science is provisional. Scientists are always open to new evidence, eager to discover errors and ready to change their opinions.
Hmmm.

None of this happens in religion. Religion not a research modality. Religion is apologetic, it resists testing, nor are its assertions based on either testing or prediction. Religion does not seek truth. It defends an axiomatic dogma.
Problem - quite obvious.
The Bible is constantly put under test - actually more rigorously than any scientific theory.
Where scientific data, and accepted scientific fact, cannot be tested and scrutinized by the average Joe, the Bible can be tested under scrutiny by ever Joe, and Jack.

It is quite absurd imo, that someone would think that the Bible or the supposed author of it should be in the same environment and condition as used to test the physical or natural world.
After all, we don't use a barometer to test the human heart, just as it would not be expected that we would use a measuring tape to measure the distance of the sun from the earth.

The Bible is not a living organism - it's alive, but in a different sense - nor is God as we understand him to be from scripture - a microscopic organism, or some familiar matter - as though man knows of all matter or energy that exists.

There is a huge gulf of difference between those who examine, test, and study the Bible, and those who study "nature". One is obviously quite limited.

A neurologist isn't limited to what a biologist, or chemist is limited to - nor does he use the same instruments and methods.

Keep in mind, when a scientist uses terms like hypothesis or theory, he's not using them in the colloquial sense. These are technical terms, with precise meanings.
Hmmm.

Good point. Even when translation, factual or copy errors are well known, the religious stand by them, attempt to justify them and, most telling, make no corrections in their Book.
This would never happen in any sincere quest for truth.
I don't know to whom you are referring to here, but it certainly doesn't include me. So...
moving along.

What does atheism have to do with any of this?
Science seeks evidence and more evidence. It tests evidence -- it attempts to find errors
and to disprove it. It wants evidence to be true and reliable. It draws provisional conclusions from the evidence -- then tests the conclusions.
Thus, scientific truth is more reliable than religious truth. Religious truth is never tested, and when errors are found, they're swept under the rug.
o_OI don't know what this has to do with anything I said here, other than the last bit, which I just addressed, so...
moving on.

Exactly. Now you're beginning to understand. Unchanging truth is exactly what science attempts do discover, it's a research modality, and, as such, is much more reliable than untested religious mythology.
It's science that believes truth is absolute and unchanging. Religion believes it's capricious
and malleable. It believes God reaches down and tweaks these 'unchanging laws' to achieve desired ends. He meddles. He e ects miracles. Pi may be 3.14... one moment and 2.99 the next. something may weigh one kilo one moment and two the next. Toss a ball into the air and it may accelerate into the sky rather than falling back to Earth. Guiding, creating and 'causing' entail changing the 'unchanging'.
Science believes in stability and absolutes. Religion, in capriciousness and magical interventions. I don't follow. How is an untested assertion evidence of anything?
I've been waiting patiently for this moment of truth.
MYTHS OF SCIENCE: REEXAMINING WHAT WE THINK WE KNOW...
Misconceptions about science
A Gentle Reminder that a Hypothesis is Never Proven Correct, nor is a Theory Ever Proven to Be True
Science Can’t Prove Anything

It is my opinion that not only do many atheist mistakenly think they understand science, they also mistakenly think they understand the Bible as well.:hushed:

The Quran claims absolute, unchanging truth, The Vedas claim it, Norse mythology claims it -- yet they disagree. Without testing, belief/faith in any of these would be foolish and illogical. What makes the Bible's claim of absolute truth more reliable than the Quran's?
Neither tests its claims.
What??? :dizzy: Expert on the Quran too? This I gotta see.
Could you back up what you just said, with visible evidence please. Where in the Quran does it claims absolute, unchanging truth?

nPeace

Veteran Member
But everything changes. So no "thing" is absolute. Can you name one thing that has or never will change? And don't say "God" since God is not a "thing".
I said it, didn't I? Let me repeat then. The truth doesn't change. It cannot. How could it. If you think differently, then please... explain yourself. How?

Truth is a matter of what we think is true. It is based on our perceptions and the contexts within which we perceive. Change the contexts, change the truth of what we observe. Truth is relative, not absolute.
Okay. So you explained yourself, and according to you, there is no truth. Let me explain. If you think something is true - notice carefully that word - think - something to be true, it does not become true because you think so. It's only your thoughts, which could be, wrong, and more likely is.
If you keep discovering, and altering, or adjusting what you thought you knew, then the stark realization should hit you square in the face. Keep searching pal... you haven't found the truth. It's there though - unchanging.
You the one who needs to keep changing - your wrong ideas.

Let me illustrate it this way.
So you are working out a mathematical equation. You're done and you take it to the tutor. Wrong.
Say you did it 999 times and the tutor says wrong.
Yeah, you go ahead and argue with the tutor that he needs to change the answer.:expressionless:

And yet the truths of what people understand about this have and do change constantly. That is the reality of this.

Even if one manages to read the evidence in such as way as to make the Bible a product of miraculous conception and birth, flawless and perfect in every imaginable way that no one in their right mind could find errors in, the reading and interpretation of it is still dependent upon the reader of it and the contexts from which they are reading it.

So in practical application, the Bible is in fact a relative truth. If you disagree, then how do you propose humans bypass their own limited thoughts based on limited perceptions, even if they are staring straight into the face of Perfection itself? State your views as absolute and claim a miracle?
It simply boils down to this. Keep adjusting your understanding until it is in line with truth. If you get it right, just as the tutor will put a big long tick - perhaps in green, and you start grinning from ear to ear... the ultimate mathematician and source of truth will reward you with what he has in store for honest humble truth seekers. In the case of us Christian believers - we look forward to everlasting life.:)

nPeace

Veteran Member
Truth is "absolute"?

Really?

The bible describes the earth as a flat plate, set upon 4 pillars, with a crystal dome-sky that has holes-in, to permit rains through.

This was, at one time, Absolute Truth.

Then? It wasn't .

The bible describes the sun as going around the flat earth-- indeed, it also claims the sun could be stopped in the sky at a whim, with nary a consequence to the people on earth.

That was, at one time, Absolute Truth.

Then? It wasn't.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
So when you read it, that's what you believed?

Most Christians didn't get it that way, so perhaps some persons misunderstood.
This is how it work with true Christians... They believe in allowing God's spirit to guide them. So if for example they read something, and think, "Ah! I got it!", but then realize that they might not be right, based on what they continue learning, they adjust their thinking - not to fit what experts in the field of science says (which they can never establish as truth) - to the new knowledge.
I am not referring to the text you used in this case. I don't know of any Christian who saw that text in the way you read and understood it. If you know of any Christian who did, you can let me know.

Bob the Unbeliever

So when you read it, that's what you believed?

No--- that is what it actually says. If you think it says different? How do you justify changing the meaning of the words used in the description?

The passages in question are NOT prefaced with "this is a metaphor" or "this is a parable" or "this is poetry" or even "allegory".

No-- the descriptions of the earth are written as prose, as if they were accurate and real.

We know they are not-- BUT WHEN THEY WERE WRITTEN? THE AUTHORS DID NOT KNOW WHERE THE SUN WENT AT NIGHT.

That was their "absolute truth".
Most Christians didn't get it that way, so perhaps some persons misunderstood.

This is because MOST christians don't bother to read the entire bible. And what they do "read", they filter through what they are told it is SUPPOSED to say, instead of what it ACTUALLY says.

This is how it work with true Christians... They believe in allowing God's spirit to guide them.

No True Scotsman Logical Fallacy. Gotcha-- very time I see the phrase "true Christians" I want to spell it this way: True Christians™ or perhaps True Christians®

To differentiate them from 99% of the rest of the planet, you see...
So if for example they read something, and think, "Ah! I got it!", but then realize that they might not be right, based on what they continue learning, they adjust their thinking - not to fit what experts in the field of science says (which they can never establish as truth) - to the new knowledge.

So-- they "adjust" their "thinking" based on .... WHAT? The bible gives us NO CLUE.

So-- HOW exactly do they rewrite the meanings of words to mean THE EXACT OPPOSITE?

Hmmm?

Is there a Secret Decoder Ring that until now, the entire world was not aware of it's existence?

Or do they call up the Pope. Is he considered the Correct And True Authority™?

No? Maybe it's Billy Graham? Oral Roberts? Ted Cruz? Who?

I am not referring to the text you used in this case. I don't know of any Christian who saw that text in the way you read and understood it. If you know of any Christian who did, you can let me know.

Well, most people are sane enough to recognize the world isn't actually flat.

And therein lies your problem: your bible is flat WRONG about a condition that is EASY to show how WRONG it is.

So how do you twist things in your mind to "fix" this WRONGNESS?

nPeace

Veteran Member
No--- that is what it actually says. If you think it says different? How do you justify changing the meaning of the words used in the description?

The passages in question are NOT prefaced with "this is a metaphor" or "this is a parable" or "this is poetry" or even "allegory".

No-- the descriptions of the earth are written as prose, as if they were accurate and real.

We know they are not-- BUT WHEN THEY WERE WRITTEN? THE AUTHORS DID NOT KNOW WHERE THE SUN WENT AT NIGHT.

That was their "absolute truth".

This is because MOST christians don't bother to read the entire bible. And what they do "read", they filter through what they are told it is SUPPOSED to say, instead of what it ACTUALLY says.

No True Scotsman Logical Fallacy. Gotcha-- very time I see the phrase "true Christians" I want to spell it this way: True Christians™ or perhaps True Christians®

To differentiate them from 99% of the rest of the planet, you see...

So-- they "adjust" their "thinking" based on .... WHAT? The bible gives us NO CLUE.

So-- HOW exactly do they rewrite the meanings of words to mean THE EXACT OPPOSITE?

Hmmm?

Is there a Secret Decoder Ring that until now, the entire world was not aware of it's existence?

Or do they call up the Pope. Is he considered the Correct And True Authority™?

No? Maybe it's Billy Graham? Oral Roberts? Ted Cruz? Who?

Well, most people are sane enough to recognize the world isn't actually flat.

And therein lies your problem: your bible is flat WRONG about a condition that is EASY to show how WRONG it is.

So how do you twist things in your mind to "fix" this WRONGNESS?
Atheist want to see God to believe.
I want to see the Christian who read it the way you did, to believe you. Thanks in advance. :)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How does this differ from what I've said?
It doesn't matter how you try to put it, it is still what it is.
Repeat - an uncertain belief. They are still the ideas of men - a set of beliefs.
All I said was, based on what you said - this would fall under the category of religion... based on what you said.
Again, how does this differ from what I've said? In science nothing is 'proven', all we have are levels of confidence. Germ theory, heliocentric theory, round-Earth theory -- all are "uncertain truths," all are theories, all are also facts and all are provisional.
There is a hierarchy of levels of confidence, but nothing is ever "proven." This does not make science a religion. It's a research modality.
I still don't see how you're connecting it to religion.
Problem - quite obvious.
The Bible is constantly put under test - actually more rigorously than any scientific theory.
Where scientific data, and accepted scientific fact, cannot be tested and scrutinized by the average Joe, the Bible can be tested under scrutiny by ever Joe, and Jack.
But how is it, then, that the Bible has generated so many competing sects, with different theological interpretations? How does it remain so ambiguous and so filled with apparent errors? In a science text these would be fixed in the 2nd edition.

Who tests the Bible? True, there's a great deal of theological argument, but where are the actual tests to resolve them? When errors are found, why aren't they removed? Why are they covered up, brushed over or explained away with convoluted sophistry? Why are questions discouraged; even considered heresy?
It seems to me that most Christians consider the Bible writ in stone. Questioning is discouraged. Real testing isn't done, and most Christians aren't even aware of the controversies, ambiguities and errors.

It is quite absurd imo, that someone would think that the Bible or the supposed author of it should be in the same environment and condition as used to test the physical or natural world.
When religion makes an assertion of fact it assumes the burden of proof, if it expects to be believed. The scientific method is the gold standard of research modalities.
After all, we don't use a barometer to test the human heart, just as it would not be expected that we would use a measuring tape to measure the distance of the sun from the earth.
I don't have any problem with how you test, as long as you use appropriate tools and methods. A meteorologist and cardiologist accept each other's findings. Both use scientific methodology.
The religious, on the other hand, have been using feelings, inspiration and scriptural debate for two millennia, and there's more disagreement today than ever.
There is a huge gulf of difference between those who examine, test, and study the Bible, and those who study "nature". One is obviously quite limited.
Quite so. See above.

A neurologist isn't limited to what a biologist, or chemist is limited to - nor does he use the same instruments and methods.
They both use the scientific method and accept each other's findings.

o_OI don't know what this has to do with anything I said here, other than the last bit, which I just addressed, so...
moving on.
The atheism bit I got here: "I understand that that seems to be something that atheist tend to do" -- your words.

:eek:
Did you read these links? They're exactly what I and others have been trying to explain to you. How on Earth do you see them as supporting your assertions or undermining ours?
It is my opinion that not only do many atheist mistakenly think they understand science, they also mistakenly think they understand the Bible as well.:hushed:
How did atheists come up again? Why not metallurgists, carpenters or hairdressers?
Are you thinking that I and others are arguing from an atheist perspective?

But as long as you brought it up, I do, indeed, believe your average atheist understands both science and religion better than the average Christian.
Why Do Atheists Know More About Religion? - The Atlantic

:dizzy: Expert on the Quran too? This I gotta see.
Could you back up what you just said, with visible evidence please. Where in the Quran does it claims absolute, unchanging truth?
What are you talking about? Who isn't familiar with the basic tenets of Islam? Who hasn't followed the cultural debate since 9/11?
Islam considers the Quran to be the revealed word of God. There are sites all over the internet and hundreds of YouTube videos asserting just this.

Me -- I could point to some inconsistencies, but you know what a contentious curmudgeon I am.

Also, as an atheist, wouldn't I be expected to have a better grasp of Islam than the average religious? :D ;)[/quote]

Last edited: