• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't people go to Taipei instead of Hong Kong?

ronki23

I've already done Mainland China so i'm not interested in either but why don't people go to Taipei instead of Hong Kong? I was told it is much, much cheaper.

If I could then I would have done both Taipei and Hong Kong in the same trip and probably thrown in Macau but they don't have some of cool things Mainland has: Forbidden City, Great Wall, Terracotta Soldiers, Jade Buddha so I don't regret choosing the Mainland

I'm still looking to visit Japan and South Korea. Was told the culture is completely different to Chinese countries and even to one another

Audie

Veteran Member
I've already done Mainland China so i'm not interested in either but why don't people go to Taipei instead of Hong Kong? I was told it is much, much cheaper.

If I could then I would have done both Taipei and Hong Kong in the same trip and probably thrown in Macau but they don't have some of cool things Mainland has: Forbidden City, Great Wall, Terracotta Soldiers, Jade Buddha so I don't regret choosing the Mainland

I'm still looking to visit Japan and South Korea. Was told the culture is completely different to Chinese countries and even to one another

Taipei is cheaper, yes. I like Taipei have been there
many times.

Taipei really is not as interesting though. HK is really
a spectacular city.

Also, Taipei is really loud, dirty air, almost like
a poor relative to HK.

But it is really about what you are looking for.

You could get work teaching English in Taipei, not
in HK, for example.

Taiwan has sun moon lake, and taroko gorge,
world class cool places.

Japan is super clean and orderly, AND!! super expensive.

Korea is really a cool place, I like Korea.

Personally I get more from visiting a place,
trying to stay a while, not zoom from here to there
and glance at each.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
many times.

a spectacular city.

a poor relative to HK.

in HK, for example.

world class cool places.

and glance at each.
Hubby and I are considering an international trip for our 20 year anniversary. We are weirdos who really like to go to museums, see architectural tours, and get invested in the local food and dining. Of your travels in Asia or Asia Pacific, which do you think would be good places to look at?

exchemist

Veteran Member
many times.

a spectacular city.

a poor relative to HK.

in HK, for example.

world class cool places.

and glance at each.
I had some really interesting food in Taipei. I remember three examples: jellyfish, with some kind of spicy sauce, that was really not bad at all with an interesting texture, some kind of tiny, very slender silvery fish, which I think we ate raw and were delicious, and some utterly horrible sea-cucumber, of which as honoured guest I had to have a second helping. Thank God there was some rice wine to help it along.

Audie

Veteran Member
I had some really interesting food in Taipei. I remember three examples: jellyfish, with some kind of spicy sauce, that was really not bad at all with an interesting texture, some kind of tiny, very slender silvery fish, which I think we ate raw and were delicious, and some utterly horrible sea-cucumber, of which as honoured guest I had to have a second helping. Thank God there was some rice wine to help it along.

Oh I wonder what they did to the sea-cucumber?
The meat is really very tender and delicious, a real
treat to anyone.

Have you tried maotai? It will easily remove
all other tastes, it is I think 101 or 105 or something proof.

Audie

Veteran Member
Hubby and I are considering an international trip for our 20 year anniversary. We are weirdos who really like to go to museums, see architectural tours, and get invested in the local food and dining. Of your travels in Asia or Asia Pacific, which do you think would be good places to look at?

Oh dear...it is so personal, what you will like.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Oh I wonder what they did to the sea-cucumber?
The meat is really very tender and delicious, a real
treat to anyone.

Have you tried maotai? It will easily remove
all other tastes, it is I think 101 or 105 or something proof.
No I haven't - and sadly all that sort of thing is off limits now, as I've developed a heart arrhythmia that can be brought on by too much alcohol. So 3 units in an evening is now my limit and that only 3-4 evenings per week. Getting old is a pain. Do you know what the silvery fish might have been?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

What's weird about you holiday adventure, sounds perfect to me. Much better then lying on a beach getting stupid drunk and sunburn.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Thailand: fantastic Buddhist temples and a really interesting cuisine. In the 80s I took the train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai - a memorable journey. Only problem with Thailand, as a young single man, was dodging getting diverted into ladies' bedrooms. As a couple you won't have this problem.

Audie

Veteran Member
No I haven't - and sadly all that sort of thing is off limits now, as I've developed a heart arrhythmia that can be brought on by too much alcohol. So 3 units in an evening is now my limit and that only 3-4 evenings per week. Getting old is a pain. Do you know what the silvery fish might have been?

No, I cant say. There are probably several possibilities.
You could check google images and see if you can
find it.

Maotai is very ceremonial, so a time or two I have had
to try to drink some. (I dont drink!!) Whoooosh!!!

ronki23

Thailand: fantastic Buddhist temples and a really interesting cuisine. In the 80s I took the train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai - a memorable journey. Only problem with Thailand, as a young single man, was dodging getting diverted into ladies' bedrooms. As a couple you won't have this problem.

Are you sure they were ladies? ;)

ronki23

many times.

a spectacular city.

a poor relative to HK.

in HK, for example.

world class cool places.

and glance at each.

Are you sure?

enhanced-buzz-19182-1383603184-15.jpg

ronki23

Oh yes. You're thinking of Copacabana in Rio, perhaps? There was a nightclub called "Help"....

Hahaha. Funnily enough i'd love to do Ipanema and Copacabana. I'd also love to see Cancun. What's the point if I have no partner to go with- if I don't have a girlfriend the minimum i'd need is a wingman

ronki23

Are you saying i dont love my husband?

Beach holidays are for anyone who enjoys beach hoidays

You're thinking the wrong way round. There's no point going on a beach holiday unless you're with your partner or a group of friends. Doesn't mean ALL couples like beach holidays- I just meant one wouldn't really enjoy a beach holiday with blood relatives.