• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't I believe it?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
You're right. We call it humility. Humility makes us teachable, or receptive. That's often when the Holy Ghost can really get through.

Who is we?..Im sorry but if you are part of "we"..Im not intersted in joining..Im humiliated and receptive with out your "we"...I have my own deal..But thanks.. :)

Love

Dallas

Rolling_Stone

I think that, in general, religion, by definition, causes stress.

The whole idea of Christianity is that we are imperfect and incapable of living up to the standard that is necessary to escape the curse of death. Literally, it is inescapable. And yet, for some wild reason, even though we are supposed to rely on a loving God to give us the strength necessary, many churches DEMAND that we do our best to live up to the standard that the Bible tells us is IMPOSSIBLE to follow. Absolutely, it's stressful.

Not only that, many churches imply that God hates it when people don't meet the standard, as if he EXPECTS us to achieve the impossible. (I'll tell ya, that's one dumb God if that's true. Imagine punishing a three-legged dog for running slower than the other dogs)
I posted this in another thread:
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]You may remember the story of how the devil and a friend of his were walking down the street, when they saw ahead of them a man stoop down and pick up something from the ground, look at it, and put it away in his pocket. The friend said to the devil, "What did that man pick up?" "He picked up a piece of Truth," said the devil. "That is a very bad business for you, then," said his friend. "Oh, not at all," the devil replied, "I am going to let him organize it." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I maintain that Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect. That is my point of view, and I adhere to that absolutely and unconditionally. Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path. If you first understand that, then you will see how impossible it is to organize a belief. A belief is purely an individual matter, and you cannot and must not organize it. If you do, it becomes dead, crystallized; it becomes a creed, a sect, a religion, to be imposed on others. This is what everyone throughout the world is attempting to do. Truth is narrowed down and made a plaything for those who are weak, for those who are only momentarily discontented. Truth cannot be brought down, rather the individual must make the effort to ascend to it. You cannot bring the mountain-top to the valley. If you would attain to the mountain-top you must pass through the valley, climb the steeps, unafraid of the dangerous precipices. You must climb towards the Truth, it cannot be "stepped down" or organized for you. Interest in ideas is mainly sustained by organizations, but organizations only awaken interest from without. Interest, which is not born out of love of Truth for its own sake, but aroused by an organization, is of no value. The organization becomes a framework into which its members can conveniently fit. They no longer strive after Truth or the mountain-top, but rather carve for themselves a convenient niche in which they put themselves, or let the organization place them, and consider that the organization will thereby lead them to Truth. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Krishnamurti[/FONT]
Please don't make the mistake of confusing religion and theology. They may be inseparable, but they are not the same.
[/FONT]

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
My faith (Luciferianism) becomes stronger through my emotions and my Atheism is weakened by emotions.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Who is we?..Im sorry but if you are part of "we"..Im not intersted in joining..Im humiliated and receptive with out your "we"...I have my own deal..But thanks.. :)
That was surprisingly mean coming from you. I didn't think Starfish was asking you to join anything, just stating the position of her "we."

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
The thought of an omnipotent god watching my every move, hearing my every thought, knowing my future, caused me great discomfort.
What is man, that you make much of him, or pay him any heed?
You observe him with each new day and try him at every moment!
How long will it be before you look away from me, and let me alone long enough to swallow my spittle?

- Job 7: 17-19

(This is not my view of God. I just like this verse. :D)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The discussion in RF has helped to strengthened my testimony in the gospel of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The constant need to back up my beliefs has motivated me into more Bible study. That's always good. The scriptures never let me down.
The arguing in RF sometimes sucks me in; which is not good, and I have to always be careful to not offend, nor to be offended. That's a challenge.
I know what you mean. I have learned more about my own religion since coming here than I ever would have done otherwise. It has strengthened my testimony to have to go digging into the scriptures or other writings to find answers to comments people make about what I supposedly believe, what I am supposedly being taught in church, etc. etc. etc. I know people who are so afraid of having their beliefs scrutinized. They wouldn't get near a place like RF. They're the ones who are losing out, in my opinion.

rocka21

Brother Rock
I know what you mean. I have learned more about my own religion since coming here than I ever would have done otherwise. It has strengthened my testimony to have to go digging into the scriptures or other writings to find answers to comments people make about what I supposedly believe, what I am supposedly being taught in church, etc. etc. etc. I know people who are so afraid of having their beliefs scrutinized. They wouldn't get near a place like RF. They're the ones who are losing out, in my opinion.

Thats so true. I brought up a topic that was controversial to a preacher friend of mine at lunch. He just about had a fit! He thinks places like RF is of the " devil" because it can shake my faith.

Why are christians so " scared" to ask themselves the tough questions? I can see his point somewhat, he has to get up and preach to groups of 1000's of people. So I guess the Ole mind control is in play when a preacher says " feed your faith and starve your doughts to death".

In other words, go like sheep........:shrug:

Kcnorwood

It would take way more then anyone here has to change my faith. I have never been at more peace then I am now.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Thats so true. I brought up a topic that was controversial to a preacher friend of mine at lunch. He just about had a fit! He thinks places like RF is of the " devil" because it can shake my faith.

Some people are scared to answer the tough questions. Some simply don't have the answer and are scared to say they don't know. This place brings people of all religion, non-religion, color, race, age...etc. together to share ideas, opinions and to help, maybe, bridge a wide open gap with dialogue instead of guns, war and hatred......and a lack of understanding.

Why are christians so " scared" to ask themselves the tough questions? I can see his point somewhat, he has to get up and preach to groups of 1000's of people. So I guess the Ole mind control is in play when a preacher says " feed your faith and starve your doughts to death".

Exactly.....If some one feels as though the "faith" can be shaken then it wasn't as strong to begin with. Does this mean your faith or your god is a lie?.....Well that's something you'll have to discover for yourself. We all go through life with unanswered questions. Some find them and some may never find them....but never give up (asking -questioning)....The moment you stop asking and start accepting because some one said so or you read it in a book...you become a puppet (IMO)......:)

TurkeyOnRye

...tell me about YOUR faith. Has it gotten stronger? Has it changed? Why is it that other arguments have not convinced YOU?

I don't really have a faith, but it's nice to find other people who are on the same side that I'm on. Most people I run into in day-to-day life get offended when I bring up subjects such as religion and politics, so coming here is a nice way to supplement that.

Since my official stance is skepticism, I'd have to say no, it hasn't gotten stronger...maybe weaker....though that could be interpreted as stronger, I guess.

No, my beliefs have not changed.

Other arguments have not convinced me because they are not reasonable arguments.

Kcnorwood

If nothing else being here has confirmed what I believe. Seeing what some people on here call religion & how they seen to justify it scares me.

Somkid

I have learned some stuff about how people practice their religion but I haven't changed and as you there is nothing of this world that could ever change my idea or point of view. Middle path all the way, never to the left and never to the right.

idea

Question Everything
I maintain that Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect. That is my point of view, and I adhere to that absolutely and unconditionally. Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path. If you first understand that, then you will see how impossible it is to organize a belief. A belief is purely an individual matter, and you cannot and must not organize it. If you do, it becomes dead, crystallized; it becomes a creed, a sect, a religion, to be imposed on others. This is what everyone throughout the world is attempting to do. Truth is narrowed down and made a plaything for those who are weak, for those who are only momentarily discontented. Truth cannot be brought down, rather the individual must make the effort to ascend to it. You cannot bring the mountain-top to the valley. If you would attain to the mountain-top you must pass through the valley, climb the steeps, unafraid of the dangerous precipices. You must climb towards the Truth, it cannot be "stepped down" or organized for you. Interest in ideas is mainly sustained by organizations, but organizations only awaken interest from without. Interest, which is not born out of love of Truth for its own sake, but aroused by an organization, is of no value. The organization becomes a framework into which its members can conveniently fit. They no longer strive after Truth or the mountain-top, but rather carve for themselves a convenient niche in which they put themselves, or let the organization place them, and consider that the organization will thereby lead them to Truth.

"If your church is your god, there will be no God in your church - I forget who said that...

I agree truth is limitless, no need to narrow it down, there is no mountain peak, no upper bound, if progression was limited eternity would be hell for everyone.... organization provides a foundation for building on, but does not restrict how much you can build... The restoration is not complete... and perhaps never will be...

AF9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things

I have learned some stuff about how people practice their religion but I haven't changed and as you there is nothing of this world that could ever change my idea or point of view. Middle path all the way, never to the left and never to the right.

doesn't that make life a little... boring? So if something beautiful walks by you will close your eyes and miss it, becuase you refuse to be pried off your current rock? There is no security in deciding not to change - you need more than one handhold on life so that when one crumbles from under you there are other places to grab onto...