• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Dont Christians Accept the Book of Mormon as Valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope

Princesinha
The Book of Mormon doesn't contradict the Bible... however, it may contradict your interpretation of the Bible. In order to declare the Book of Mormon to be contradictory of Scripture you must first prove that your interpretation is correct. Boa Sorte;)

How does one "prove" such a thing anyway? I think the Scriptures are pretty clear.

(Fala portugues? :D )

SoyLeche

meh...
Sim falo. Fui missionario em Londrina, Parana. Amo Brasil.
Mi cunado es un misionero en Londrina ahora.

(Sorry, I don't speak Portuguese - only spanish :) - and there should be an ~ over the "n" in "cunado", but I'm not sure how to put it there)

Bishka

Veteran Member
Well, that's easy enough to answer...the Book of Morman has the last word with them, period. They believe in profits, they're no more prophits, Christ fulfiled all prophicies...they are no more to be reveled. Plus they believe in this Joe Smith who claimed to have received 'orders' from the Lord, not so. Just remember when talking about The Lord, Saviour of man, anything after "but" is of the devil.:yes:

Interesting how you put it, but if you'd actually like to know the whole story and what we actually believe, go ahead and head over to the LDS DIR and ask away. We are more then happy to answer you questions and usually answer all of them. Have a good day and God bless.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Because the very nature of a promise is that you keep it, no matter what. What is the point of trusting God, if we know He doesn't keep His promises? Essentially you are calling Him a liar. God promised Israel throughout Scripture an inheritance, that would abide forever. He certainly allowed them to reap the consequences of their sins, but He doesn't go back on His word that " My servant David may have a lamp always before Me in Jerusalem, the city where I have chosen for Myself to put My name." (I Kings 11:36)

Exactly, God does not go back on his word, and he told them if they didn't listen to them he would destroy them and no longer count them among his people. that's the way it has always been throughout scripture, "Do this, and I'll give you this, if you don't, I wont"

There is nothing wrong with new revelation....it simply has to be consistent with the "old" revelation. Otherwise God is a very confused God. Or He finds some twisted enjoyment in confusing us.
And it is consistent with old revelation, the events in the Book of Mormon 100% coincide with the events in the old and new testament. the messages are the same, just a lot more plain and simple. The words of God are simple, he would never make riddles for us and try to confuse us, "....for my house is a house of order, saith the Lord God" D&C Section 132.

Hmmm....didn't I just say something along those lines? :D You made my point for me.
I asked a question, and that is not an answer to it, If you think that God would deliberately confuse us, why do you think so?

This is in contradiction of Scripture. Which is why I'm not Mormon. ;)
No, it is not, because God keeps his promises, and if people don;t do what they are told, they loose their blessings and promises. everything the Lord promises is a Covenant. Similar to a "Quid-Pro-Quo" if you will, without the sexual context.

Polaris

From joe's Mormon Challenge...

http://www.mormonchallenge.com/biblechal.htmnowadays, they offer free bibles, and not much is said about the Book of Mormon in the public arena

This statement is completely false.

when the fundamental biblical teachings are placed against LDS scriptures and other official Church teachings, the contradictions are stark, and in many cases downright blasphemous to a biblical mindset

Really, what teachings? Please show me... the article didn't address a single point of doctrine. What doctrinal teachings in the Book of Mormon constitute stark contradictions from that of the Bible that merit blasphemy?

So when the Bible contradicts LDS teaching, that innocuous-sounding little caveat for the Bible gives Mormonism a loophole to reject those problematic teachings in the Bible.

Give me one example of this -- the article conveniently didn't.

So here we have a picture of the Bible that is so full of holes that it can no longer be trusted as an inspired work.

Who's picture is that? It's definitely not the picture that Mormons believe.

Nothing has been found in the archaeology or anthropology of ancient America to substantiate any person, place, or event found in the Book of Mormon.

Another completely false statement.

Often Mormons are taught that it is possible--and even virtuous--to have faith that is blind

Another completely false statement.

The faith that it takes to believe in the Bible as the Word of God is not based on subjective feelings or desires; it is based on facts.

Really? What undisputed FACTS are used to substantiate Jesus' claims as the Son of God? What historical or archealogical FACTS confirm the flood, Moses departure from Egypt and his subsequent parting of the Red Sea? I believe the Bible is the word of God not because Jerusalem is known to be a real city, but because I have an abiding faith that Jesus is who he claimed to be.

This article is so full of misleading falsehoods it's almost laughable.

Hope

Princesinha
Exactly, God does not go back on his word, and he told them if they didn't listen to them he would destroy them and no longer count them among his people. that's the way it has always been throughout scripture, "Do this, and I'll give you this, if you don't, I wont"

Ok, madhatter, now you are thoroughly confusing me.

This is what you said: "Jesrusalem was destroyed because of the wickedness of the people. Musilims and jews are not chrisitans. why would god continue to promise a land to someone when they reject Christ completely and insist on destroyign themselves?"

I pointed out a verse that plainly shows God made a promise to Israel, to keep His name in Jerusalem forever. Forever. Does the word "forever" have a different definition to you? There are many, many more verses like this throughout the Old Testament. I also said that God making this promise did not mean the Israelites would not be punished for their sins, as you seem to think. They were. They were sent into exile, they were scattered across the globe. Nonetheless, God keeps His promises, and the fact that Israel is a nation again is proof of that. He brought them back, just as He promised He would. In your quote above, you questioned how God could continue to promise the land to Israel. Because, if you actually read the Bible, this is what He says.

You, on the other hand, keep implying that Israel no longer deserves their land, because they sinned against God. This is strictly a Mormon doctrine. It is not Scriptural. God never threatened to take their land away permanently. Only temporarily. This is why I said, if I consider the Mormon doctrine to be true, then that makes God a liar and untrustworthy. So unless you read a different Bible than mine, I cannot comprehend how you can reconcile the two opposing views.

And it is consistent with old revelation, the events in the Book of Mormon 100% coincide with the events in the old and new testament. the messages are the same, just a lot more plain and simple. The words of God are simple, he would never make riddles for us and try to confuse us, "....for my house is a house of order, saith the Lord God" D&C Section 132.

So far all the conflicting views you have presented have not proved this.

I asked a question, and that is not an answer to it, If you think that God would deliberately confuse us, why do you think so?

It was most definitely an answer. And I never said I believe God wants to confuse us. :confused: The reason I don't believe in Mormonism is because I believe the opposite: that He is not a God of confusion! For me to believe the Book of Mormon and the Bible, I would have no choice but to believe God likes to confuse us. Because they say contradicting things. Do you see my point now?

No, it is not, because God keeps his promises, and if people don;t do what they are told, they loose their blessings and promises. everything the Lord promises is a Covenant. Similar to a "Quid-Pro-Quo" if you will, without the sexual context.

Certainly God does make some promises with conditions. And He makes this clear if He does.

But the promise to Israel is not one of those types of promises. As I said before, there wouldn't be all these verses promising Israel an inheritance forever, if God planned to trash that promise as soon as they sinned. Then He would be a liar. Forever is a pretty strong word.

namguy

some Christians do believe in the Book of Mormon....
They are called Mormons.

Very much fewer Christians believe in the Koran.

Not all Christians believe in the Bible in the same way as each other.

None of this proves anything useful....if anything at all.

What we believe defines which religion or denomination we adhere to.

I am quite prepared to accept that people truly believe in their Holy Books.
and because of this I respect both them and the Books.
The Book of Morman, if that's what you believe....well*&^%$#@

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Ok, madhatter, now you are thoroughly confusing me.
You and everybody else, Hope. ;)

This is strictly a Mormon doctrine. It is not Scriptural. God never threatened to take their land away permanently. Only temporarily. This is why I said, if I consider the Mormon doctrine to be true, then that makes God a liar and untrustworthy. So unless you read a different Bible than mine, I cannot comprehend how you can reconcile the two opposing views.
Don't worry about trying to reconcile these two views. This is NOT LDS doctrine, it's MadHatter's opinion.

For me to believe the Book of Mormon and the Bible, I would have no choice but to believe God likes to confuse us. Because they say contradicting things. Do you see my point now?
Hope, could you give me an example of something the Book of Mormon teaches that contradicts what the Bible teaches? I believe both of these books to be true scripture, and I've never found any contradiction between the two.

silvermoon383

Please note that every anti-Mormon person/site/book/pamphet/what-have-you states that they love Mormons.

In fact, Hugh Nibley made it #1 on his checklist for "How to Write an Anti-Mormon Book".

Status
Not open for further replies.